2011 Yard Themes?

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
SpookyBlackKat
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

2011 Yard Themes?

Post by SpookyBlackKat » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:10 pm

Anybody got any themes running through their heads yet? I'm working on one or two things but this will only be our second year with an actual yard to do a haunt. What ideas are floating out there?
I've met The Great Pumpkin.

http://pumpkinbump.wordpress.com/

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: 2011 Yard Themes?

Post by witchy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 am

I was think about a pumpkin theme yard this year, I would like to carve & put out about 50 pumpkins this year, wish me luck!! 8)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14 am

I don't really do themes. I always have a mix of pumpkins (real & acrylic, the acrylic ones being carved to commemorate pets who have passed on). I have my purple bat lights I hang in our dogwood tree; a scarecrow or two; some ghost lights made of old milk jugs. I also have a wizard manikin I hang from a planter hook. Not really a themed yard, just an eclectic assortment of seasonal decorations.

Some people do go all out in our neighborhood. Except for the one or two who do graveyards with dry ice smoke and someone costumed in a coffin who jumps up to scare the kids--most of the yards are just busy with lots of different things. One house in our town does the "mad scientist" laboratory, where people stand in line to touch/examine weird things. That same house usually has something rigged up to go from their third story roof top into a (lower) tree in the front yard--could be a giant spider, or a space alien, or a witch.
They change it every year.

SpookyBlackKat
Master Reaper

Post by SpookyBlackKat » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 pm

We did the massive swarm of jacko's last year. I think we had about 25-30 done cme Halloween night. It was hard labor carving them all (yes they were all real) but it was so amazing! They looked awesome. I definately suggest it. I even won points with the "I hate Halloween!!!" old lady down the street!

I learned last year that our new neighborhood loves creativity but not many people here have it. I really want to become a landmark in our neighborhood but most of the kids are so young that I can't make things super scary. I love the mad science lab thing but I don't know if I could pull it off Halloween style. You think little kids (3-5 yrs) would get it?

My thought for this year so far was a spider tunnel. I wanted to craft a PVC tunnel from the street to the door and cover it with webbing. Thoughts?
I've met The Great Pumpkin.

http://pumpkinbump.wordpress.com/

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Make sure your webbing is glow in the dark, and hit it with some blacklights. That would look awesome!

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 am

I know this year I probably build a mausoleum, also I'm still thinking about making an old haunt tent with props and light inside where people can walk in and out of the tent. Good idea? :idea:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 am

One of our neighbors has ToTers walk through a tent where a "gypsy" gives out the candy. This, of course, is after one has witnessed an OTT yard haunt of epic proportions. Usually there is someone alive among all the monsters, aliens, and spooks haunting the yard, so if you go too close you will get a surprise! This yard is a major attraction around here, so I'd say, go for your haunted tent, if you want to!

Another neighbor has a booth set up with a strobe light where he hands out the candy in costume. Another family member chases ToTers with a chain saw. He hides among bushes and around the porch, and charges people randomly.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 am

I allways swore that one of these years I would set up a yard display for the Halloween season, but have never gotten around to it. Usualy I'll hand a glow-in-the-dark skeleton by my front door and on ToT day I put a jack o'lantern out on my porch to welcome the ToTers.

Money is going to be an issue for me this Halloween, due to having 2 vehicle payments, so it's highly unlikely that I'll be putting up a yard display this year. When I finaly do set up a y ard display, it will not be of any particular theme, however. I'll probably have some grave stones, ghosts, a monster or two, some bats, and a few fake jack o'lanterns. The fake ones tend to last longer for yard displays.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:22 am

Mike, if you wanted, you can use recycled trash to create certain decorations. One of my more successful ones involves several gallon & half gallon milk jugs (I think some juices are sold in them, too). The plastic ones, you know. You can cut or carve out a small hole in the back for miniature crystal Christmas lights, and paint jack-o-lantern type faces with a Sharpie on the front, plug them in, and voila! A cute Halloween decoration that cost you almost nothing. I call mine ghost lights, since they are white rather than orange.

Another cheap and cute one is what I call a ghost dance. You get five or six wooden dowel rods (for pennies apiece at a hobby store), top them with a plastic milk jug or styrofoam ball fixed onto them with duct tape, then cover them with something white. I use trash bags, but they look better with an old sheet or some cheesecloth. use a string or Halloween ribbon to tie at the base of the jug or ball (to create a "neck" so it will be obvious they have heads). Arrange them in a circle, and pin or tie the ends of their white robes together to make it look as if they are holding hands in sort of a ring-around-the-rosie position.

Obviously, these ideas are not so much about a grotesque or scarey yard haunt, but they are festive and seasonal, and passers-by seem to enjoy them.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I don't really do themes. I always have a mix of pumpkins (real & acrylic, the acrylic ones being carved to commemorate pets who have passed on). I have my purple bat lights I hang in our dogwood tree; a scarecrow or two; some ghost lights made of old milk jugs. I also have a wizard manikin I hang from a planter hook. Not really a themed yard, just an eclectic assortment of seasonal decorations.

Some people do go all out in our neighborhood. Except for the one or two who do graveyards with dry ice smoke and someone costumed in a coffin who jumps up to scare the kids--most of the yards are just busy with lots of different things. One house in our town does the "mad scientist" laboratory, where people stand in line to touch/examine weird things. That same house usually has something rigged up to go from their third story roof top into a (lower) tree in the front yard--could be a giant spider, or a space alien, or a witch.
They change it every year.
If I may trouble you, do you have a photo of the milk-jug ghosts?

That sounds interesting.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:50 am

I will have to ask my tech-savvy husband or sons to help me up-load stuff. I haven't yet learned how to do photos!

I think I got the idea from a Family Fun magazine, though, and I saw the same idea published in their most recent Halloween special issue. I'll see if I can find a link with photos--

Here you go:

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/spirit-jugs-673388/

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 pm

OMG, where do all you ppl live? I am so moving there! My neighborhood does nothing! Last year the timing was not right to decorate the yard, but I really would like to do something spooky this year. Some grave stones with a creepy fence maybe. Right now it all comes down to timing :(
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Shadows Symphony
Vampire

Post by Shadows Symphony » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:45 pm

I live in the middle of the woods where no one goes, so I don't really do much of a setup. However it is in a cabin and I do keep my Camp Crystal Lake sign up! :P Last year I just did a halloween screensaver with a projecter and creepy music.

What kind of music do you guys use for your setups?
If you want to hear some new Halloween/Horror Music... http://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowsSymp ... ature=mhee

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I know how you feel Shadows Symphony. I live on a very busy, one-way street at the end of a parkway, in a mostly commercial area. No foot traffic whatsoever, meaning no ToTers at Halloween. The one time I tried projecting onto the side of the building a couple doors down it almost caused accidents. People slowing down from 70mph to take a look and almost getting rear-ended. If I wasn't so terrified of the suburbs I'd move there just so I could set up a yard haunt.

Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

I really need to start looking at the different forum boards that are on here before i post topics into Halloween General. Anyway I want to set up a dark tunnel on my walk way. Here's the topic I posted that is very similar to this one
http://halloween.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8188

Well that's my idea and I'd really appreciate any tips from people who have set up a tunnel before. It won't be long just about ten feet long and seven feet tall
“this mark, although large, had been originally very indefinite; but, by slow degrees … assumed a rigorous distinctness of outline. It was now the representation of an object that I shudder to name … of the GALLOWS!”
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe