Early Haunt Ideas

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Early Haunt Ideas

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:37 pm

I wanna know if anyone has great ideas for how they're gonna haunt their yards/house this early. For this past week I've been forming a great idea for this years decorating and i cant do anything about it yet.

I'm thinking about making kind of a Tunnel of Screams this year. I'll have a friend in costume ushering ToTs into the dark tunnel I will create that leads to my porch. Once they are in I'll have another friend at the end of the tunnel getting their attention with my meat eater mask while he hands out candy allowing me to slip in the tunnel behind them with whatever gruesome mask i can get my hands on this year. As the group turns around I will flip on a strobe light which will reveal me standing there, and in a perfect world scaring the hell out of them and generating screams from the tunnel.

I would love to set this up right now, but unfortunately there is another two months before it would be practical. I doubt I'm the only one going through this, so what ideas do some of you have stuck in your head? Also if anyone has built tunnels in their yards before I'd love to hear some cheap ideas. As of now I'm thinking about two wooden frames connected with black plastic sheeting that should run under a hundred.
“this mark, although large, had been originally very indefinite; but, by slow degrees … assumed a rigorous distinctness of outline. It was now the representation of an object that I shudder to name … of the GALLOWS!”
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe

jadewik
Halloween Master

Re: Early Haunt Ideas

Post by jadewik » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I've seen different things around the internets about making "tunnels".... I think the latest "oh, that's cool" one used wooden frames with that landscape filter fabric stapled to 'em.

There's a tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0lF_wJPgo

Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Wow thanks for the link, those panels are a little big for the tunnel im making, but i could definately make some of them to put up in the yard for a great hiding spot!
“this mark, although large, had been originally very indefinite; but, by slow degrees … assumed a rigorous distinctness of outline. It was now the representation of an object that I shudder to name … of the GALLOWS!”
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 am

The panels in the video are scaled to the woman's garage. If they're too large for what you're looking to build, you could build smaller panels.

Reason I posted the panels was because, in comparison, landscape fabric can be cheaper than tarp or sheeting and the tutorial would give you a method for building the panels. However, it's not as weather resistant as black tarp would be-- so I imagine you'll decide what's best for your home haunt.

Also, another idea would be to use PVC to build frames and use snap clamps to hold the fabric or tarp in place. PVC could act as a sleeve over pieces of rebar which are hammered into the ground, a system which I've heard people using to secure their yard tombstones.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with for your haunt. =)

Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Th PVC is a good idea too, I might use that. And mostly the reason the panels wouldn't quite work for the tunnel is because i have a small yard with a small path and they would just not be completely worth the extra time to make as i would still need to drape something over top of them to make a roof and the black plastic sheeting would block out more light. Also I saw a pack of it on amazon.com for 12 dollars and it was 10' x 25' which will cover my tunnel fine. But I like all the ideas your coming up with, more stuff than I would have thought of.
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 pm

That sheeting sounds like what you can get at Home depot... I bought some sheeting there a couple years ago and put grommits in it. I never got 'round to putting hooks in the garage ceiling, but the plan is easy set-up and take-down for subsequent haunt years. 2 rolls of sheeting covers my whole garage (see image below).

Shadow_of_the_31st
Crypt Keeper

Post by Shadow_of_the_31st » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:49 pm

That is what i was gonna buy but 100 feet is a lot better than 25. I book marked that page for later when im going to set up. This was really a big help thank you.
The Black Cat
Edgar Allan Poe

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 am

Jadewik that's a great room!

The folds in the plastic give a nice stone wall effect as well.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.