Creepy 'Trick r' Treat' yard

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Creepy 'Trick r' Treat' yard

Post by SpookShowBaby » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm

After watching this movie, I thought it would be great to have my yard set up like the very first house seen in the movie. Any ideas on an inexpensive way to build the frames for the jack-o-lantern/ghost decorations? Thanks :)
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

witchy
Halloween Master

Re: Creepy 'Trick r' Treat' yard

Post by witchy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Here is a site with some ggod ideas you can incorporate, I hope this helps!!http://pumpkinrot.blogspot.com/2010/07/ ... ating.html

Spookymufu
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I would go to the home store (of your choice) and see about replacement broom sticks or, dowels, see what those would run
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey SpookShow,

I've seen this movie about 500 times (it's my new favorite) but I'm suddenly drawing a blank on the first yard seen. I think you're referring to Emma and Henry's yard (bc I think the only other cool one was Rhonda's). As for making the ghosts that they have set up everywhere, pvc pipes and duct tape should take care of you. I've never bought these pipes, but from what I understand, they are relatively inexpensive and are priced by the foot. To make the head shape under the sheet, you could fill a small trashcan liner with crumpled newspaper (like the beginning of a paper mache project), tie off the bottom and attach it to the top of the pipe. You can use the duct tape to smooth any corners or bumpy areas. Throw a sheet over it and secure it in a few places and you should have something very very similar to what they built in their yard.

SpookyBlackKat
Master Reaper

Post by SpookyBlackKat » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:09 pm

If you go the pvc route, make sure you anchor the pipes into the ground well. I used rebar last year for some smaller ghosts and it held up ok but I was not thrilled with it. It doesn't seem like alot of weight, but unless you anchor that tall pvc creation properly, it's going to sway and tilt and lean with any type of wind or rain. I had to reset my ghosts more than once last year. And I kinda got tiring of hearing "the ghosty man fell over. Is he ok?" It was cute the first time but then I started to feel like a failure. Pvc would be cost effective, just prep well. I would think broom sticks may be more sturdy. Dowels would be sturdy too but would have a harder time supporting the head. Good luck! I think that yard is awesome and would love to see it real life.
I've met The Great Pumpkin.

http://pumpkinbump.wordpress.com/

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I wish to have lots of jack o' lanterns all around my front yard of my house! :D

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:41 am

I was going to do this. I was thinking of either wooden or plastic poles & duck taping them together. I'll probably go wooden as it'll be stronger. As regards to the head, I was thnking of a balloon filled with helium & attaching it to the top of the pole. I'll then throw the sheet over.

There's probably better ways to do it, but this was the way I was thinking, that should be inexpensive.
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks for all the tips! I will be checking out Home Depot in the next week or so. I was also at Saver's last night and they had foam heads for about $2.99 a piece. If I could find a way to weather proof them that might work out nice. I would use actual pumpkins, but we have an abundant squirrel population in my neighborhood. As soon as I get this set up, I will post pics :)
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 pm

SpookShowBaby wrote:Thanks for all the tips! I will be checking out Home Depot in the next week or so. I was also at Saver's last night and they had foam heads for about $2.99 a piece. If I could find a way to weather proof them that might work out nice. I would use actual pumpkins, but we have an abundant squirrel population in my neighborhood. As soon as I get this set up, I will post pics :)

That'll be great! I'ld love to see the pics! Good luck in the way you choose! :)
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town