Haunted House into a non-scary haunt?

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Haunted House into a non-scary haunt?

Post by iHaunt » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:44 am

How have some of you turned your yard haunt display into a children's day haunt? What are safe characters for kids for the actors? :idea:

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Re: Haunted House into a non-scary haunt?

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 am

Scooby Doo? I don't know--I avoid doing the non scary stuff--my haunt isn't necessarily threatening, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's geared towards the little ones.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:01 am

Do you mean that you want the haunt to have one character in daylight, and a different character at night?

Almost any "monster" can be made child-friendly, as long as the face is goofily smiling. Think about a Frankenstein with a big, goofy grin on his face. Or a Casper-like ghost. There is a character in a children's cartoon series my daughter used to like, called Scary Godmother. She is a witch, but she is clearly not mean. I believe she even has companions, like a comic skeleton and a werewolf, who are very friendly as well. The werewolf is sort of like a big, friendly dog. And she has friends who are a family of vampires--mother, father, and little boy.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:37 pm

If you really want your kids azz kicked, may I suggest this?

http://jesusween.com/

Honestly.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 am

I hadn't heard of that, but at least one woman in our vicinity has been doing this for a while, giving out little religious tracts along with the candy. She dresses like a clown when she does it.

Obviously I think those Christians who are frightened of Halloween are getting worked up over nothing, but I have accepted her literature without complaint. I do the same when other neighbors hand out their political tracts (for a party other than mine) along with the candy. If you knock on people's doors and beg for candy, you can't really complain about what else they may give. It's their choice to give it, my choice whether I read it or not.

Our church is doing Trunk or Treat again this year. I noticed they specifically requested that the kids not dress in scary costumes, or those suggesting evil. Once, two or three years ago, they requested that the kids dress as someone from the Bible. I sent my daughter as the Witch of Endor. :D

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I hadn't heard of that, but at least one woman in our vicinity has been doing this for a while, giving out little religious tracts along with the candy. She dresses like a clown when she does it.

Obviously I think those Christians who are frightened of Halloween are getting worked up over nothing, but I have accepted her literature without complaint. I do the same when other neighbors hand out their political tracts (for a party other than mine) along with the candy. If you knock on people's doors and beg for candy, you can't really complain about what else they may give. It's their choice to give it, my choice whether I read it or not.

Our church is doing Trunk or Treat again this year. I noticed they specifically requested that the kids not dress in scary costumes, or those suggesting evil. Once, two or three years ago, they requested that the kids dress as someone from the Bible. I sent my daughter as the Witch of Endor. :D
That is freaking hilarious! You could go as Eve, pre-expulsion. :lol:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:25 am

Hey, Satan is in the Bible, right?

Oh, you could have soooo much fun with that .

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:26 am

What would be really funny is if ALL the kids dressed as Satan :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:07 am

Someone from the Bible?

Well if Jesus died & then arose from the dead, does that mean that you could get away with going as a Zombie Jesus?! :lol:

Or is that pushing it a bit too far? :wink: :P
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:31 am

OMG! :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't dare. No, I wouldn't push it that far. . . . I am a Christian; I just don't enjoy the puritanical streak in some Christian denominations. I was raised Episcopalian, a denomination which is not at all like that. My husband's Lutheran denomination veers that way at times. It is possible that his church is also influenced by the area where we live, which has a lot of evangelical Christians. I don't dislike the evangelicals generally; they have much to be proud of in their heritage (abolition of slavery, enforcement of child labor laws, etc.). But they can get a little paranoid about Halloween, IMO.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 am

Jack Skellington wrote:Someone from the Bible?

Well if Jesus died & then arose from the dead, does that mean that you could get away with going as a Zombie Jesus?! :lol:

If anyone actually had the nerve to do that, I would tip my had to them. BUT I would definitely keep my distance and hope for their sake that they can run fast :lol:

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:46 am

That's correct.... I've seen Jesus has risen from the dead! :lol:
Jesus is like my father! ;)

Jack Skellington wrote:Someone from the Bible?

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I hadn't heard of that, but at least one woman in our vicinity has been doing this for a while, giving out little religious tracts along with the candy. She dresses like a clown when she does it.

In my opinion, keep religion and politics and whatever else unrelated away from Halloween! Enjoy yourselves, don't c r a p all over the fun by pushing things on kids.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon