Haunted Yard Security

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
Wicker Man
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Haunted Yard Security

Post by Wicker Man » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:55 am

Hello everyone! Got a question. I live in Dumfries Scotland, and have been creating my yard haunt/cemetery for about 10 years. However, we have no end of "vandalism" to the props and stuff. Is there anything any of you do to cut down on this? Skeletons have disappeared, masks missing, and a couple tombstones busted. :( Is this a case of kids will be kids? Love doing this, and all the neighbors ask every year if we are still going to do it. Have set up security cameras around house, but not recording, which I guess is really no good eh? Any help would be appreciated.

Isn't Halloween 365 days a year? Go figure! Website at www.halloween.com

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: Haunted Yard Security

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:30 am

Wicker Man wrote:Is there anything any of you do to cut down on this?
move to a better neighborhood :D
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Wicker Man
Master Reaper

Post by Wicker Man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:28 am

Hmmm... that's what I've been thinking. Police do monitor the haunt, but can't be here all the time.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:31 am

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. We have been lucky so far--no one has stolen or vandalized anything. In fact, that is somewhat uncommon around here. Perhaps in places where more people are decorating, the vandals aren't so tempted to make mischief.

If I were you, I'd get the security cameras working. That way at least you could press charges, and a consequence to their destructive actions might actually teach those hooligans a lesson.

Wicker Man
Master Reaper

Post by Wicker Man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:20 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Neighbors would be really happy. They love our cemetery, as do I, and are always getting giddy when they see us tinkering in the garage on our new stuff. Might have to try to the alram deal. But, do you just set up perimeter wires? Or actually trigger every stone and prop? That could get cumberstone.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:27 pm

I just set up the surveillance system for my buddy's store. The system he bought allowed him to use motion detection. The cameras have infra-red so they work in the dark. He can also hook up the DVR to an external trigger to set off an alarm or turn on some lights or something. You may have to spend a lot of time adjusting the camera angles and sensitivity so it doesn't go off every time a car goes past.

Here's an example of such a system you can get from Amazon. Not cheap but if you have problems in your area it's not a bad piece of insurance.

If you get a surveillance system, make sure you get a network DVR, like the one I linked to. You can view the cameras over the internet if you're not home. We set up my buddy's to send him a text when the motion detection is triggered. He gets some false positives but he can use his iPhone app to view the cameras and make sure there's not a problem.

Also! If you buy a system off of eBay, make sure the manuals are in a language you can read. Sheesh, my buddy is so cheap. His came from China and there were no English manuals. Took me over a week to figure out how to get the darn thing working.

If you don't set up surveillance, there is another route you can take... scare the mud out of the hooligans. Get together with your neighbors, dress them up as zombies, bury them under a thin layer of dirt and hide them behind trees. When the punks come into your yard... ATTACK!!! It may take some awesome patience but it would be a boatload of fun. Maybe set up some irresistible bait to get them to come on a certain night, like an expensive decoration, or some smash worthy pumpkins?

Wicker Man
Master Reaper

Post by Wicker Man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Wish we were that lucky. Unfortunately, we have a slightly higher crime rate. But, sure wish I lived there in USA! LOL :lol:

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 am

I worry about vandals as well. I only set up my haunt on Halloween. I light pumpkins in the windows though all month long. Not very helpful, I know, but I'm kind of in the same boat as you Wicker Man :?

Wicker Man
Master Reaper

Post by Wicker Man » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:47 am

I do have old fashioned lights on the porch in the front yard, also halloween lights around the house. No good. I think I need to order high security lights. ;)

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Wicker Man wrote:I do have old fashioned lights on the porch in the front yard, also halloween lights around the house. No good. I think I need to order high security lights. ;)
You probably just need a pet werewolf to rip all of these hellions to shreds when they jack your stuff... 8)

Wicker Man
Master Reaper

Post by Wicker Man » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
Wicker Man wrote:I do have old fashioned lights on the porch in the front yard, also halloween lights around the house. No good. I think I need to order high security lights. ;)
You probably just need a pet werewolf to rip all of these hellions to shreds when they jack your stuff... 8)

LOL What else can you say? This house guarded by Smith and Wesson? :lol: .... actually more like wesson oil!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue May 22, 2012 9:13 am

NeverMore, that's quite an elaborate system just to protect a few Halloween decorations. Just set up the cameras you got so they can record digitaly, and then you can either use them as evidence against them in a law suit, or you can put the videos on YouTube and embarass them publicaly.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 am

I'm actually going through this right now. My neighbor caught me the other day recording his dog barking, he refuses to shut it up, wants it to be alert. :roll: Now he's all hurt because I told him I was just getting evidence. I didn't say I was going to use it but if he pushes me too far I'm taking it to his landlord.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed May 23, 2012 6:55 am

How do you shut up a dog?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 am

Murfreesboro wrote:How do you shut up a dog?
4-10 Remington works well
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"