Pirate theme

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Pirate theme

Post by Pumpkin56 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey all,

This year I am considering a haunted pirate theme for the yard. I'm not totally crazy about the idea because I think it's a little tired. However, my little niece is already telling everyone that she is going to go as a pirate for Halloween. I'm sure she will change her mind 10 times between now and then, but assuming she sticks with it and doesn't take a repulsive princess route, I'm willing to tailor my haunt for her. I've taken a look at some of the pirate haunts on the forum and I'm starting to get an idea of what I should plan for. Pirates don't really scream Halloween to me so I would like to incorporate some eeriness to it. Kind of like a ghost ship (only I won't have a ship in my yard :lol: ). Do any of my fellow pumpkinheads have any suggestions? I would love to hear anything you have to say on the subject. Please and thank you! :D

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Pirate theme

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm

You could do pirates, but with pumpkins as the heads. That would really tie it to Halloween.
Just a thought.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Pirates of the Caribbean had zombie pirates and what about a treasure chest with smoke coming out of it every time you open it to give out candy. If I think of any more I post later, I hope this helps!! This could be alot of fun!!

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:51 pm

I did pirates in 2009... we didn't do spooky-haunted pirates. We went more of a ship dock with crates, barrels, a treasure chest full of candy, bones, rats, lanterns, flags, paper mache bombs (took too much time), and the hilight-- the cannon that shot candy. Rope would have been a good addition too... along with rum bottles. Hehe. We also hung up some Halloween lights. It doesn't matter what you do-- throw some stuff together-- have a ball. We had so many people crash our house (since it's the place to be Oct 31st) THEY threw a shish-ka-bob party at our house! Haha. =)

Some Photos:

Video of the candy cannon:
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/ ... 009046.mp4

Candy Bombs:

Tee
Zombie

Post by Tee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Wow, the candy bombs are a really neat idea =) But I can see how you'd have to start them way ahead of time.
Tee
"What is essential is invisible to the eye..." -- Saint-Exupéry

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 am

Those candy bombs really are clever, Jade.

So far, the little one is still insisting that she is a pirate, so I'm slowly (and cautiously) moving forward with the decor. I found a pirate flag and some pirate coins on eBay that she loved. I think I'm going to build a few treasure chests and fill one with the gold and costume jewelry and maybe a smaller one closer to the front door that has candy and glow bracelets/necklaces. I've seen a few props around at some of the stores that actually have Halloween stuff out that would probably work, but I'm waiting until those things go on sale. If the pirate theme goes ahead, I think I'm going to leave my pumpkin army of years past out (unless a neighbor wants to host them in their yard). This year I'll probably carve and sculpt several of the real things--I found a killer Davy Jones design and I have a friend who can probably design a few delapidated looking pirate ships for me as well. Haven't decided whether or not I'll bust out the fog machines, but I think once I figure out all the props I need and the layout, I'm going to use green flood lights to light everything. Still a work in progress...