Tipping and ChangeTip

News from Halloween.biz
HalloweenDot
Site Admin
What is the highest number?: 10992

Tipping and ChangeTip

Post by HalloweenDot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi everyone,
You probably see the "Tip Me" button popping up in places around here. It lets people reward useful posts etc. You can tip any amount or nothing - a penny, a nickel, 50 cents, a dollar, whatever. It uses something called ChangeTip.com

If you go to the Profile (upper right, under the user name) and then click "Edit profile" and add in your Twitter username (just the username, not the entire URL), you'll have a "Tip Me" button on your messages too.

I have it on mine as a test - I'm not expecting or looking for tips - but think it is a cool way to reward good information.

So, if you have twitter, update your profile with the user name and maybe you'll get tipped.

I'll be interested in hearing what people think of it. If it is useful, we'll keep it, if it isn't useful after a while (I'll give it plenty of time), then we won't.

Are there other things you'd like to see? Let me know (and I am still looking at various themes/styles for the updated phpbb 3.1.2)
Cheers!
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Re: Tipping and ChangeTip

Post by MauEvig » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:57 pm

I think someone mentioned a "Like" button once before.

I'm not sure how that actually works...do people actually get real money if they like a post? o.o
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Hey,
I will look at "like" buttons too. But yes, if you have a twitter profile anyone can send you a tip in real money using bitcoin which can then be converted to fiat or spent on its own.

If you click the link, you can see - it creates a tweet which ChangeTip uses to send a tip from the person sending the tip to the person receiving it. You can safely click the link without sending a tip until you hit "send". If I see good posts and they have a twitter link in there, I'll send a tip too to show how it works.

You can read more here http://changetip.com.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:27 am

Sounds like a plan Halloweencom!

I don't have a twitter account, but I could probably make one eventually.

How is the revenue generated? Is it sort of like what google does? I never really got how that worked either though to be honest. I'd love to make money from a website, but I never get enough people interested in my stuff.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Well this is just tipping. Say someone likes a post about animating a skeleton for a haunted house and it saved them days of work, they might send a tip of $10 or something.
MauEvig wrote:Sounds like a plan Halloweencom!

I don't have a twitter account, but I could probably make one eventually.

How is the revenue generated? Is it sort of like what google does? I never really got how that worked either though to be honest. I'd love to make money from a website, but I never get enough people interested in my stuff.

oyacostumes
Ghost

Post by oyacostumes » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:13 am

We would be happy see a "like and dislike" button.

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:34 pm

oyacostumes wrote:We would be happy see a "like and dislike" button.
I agree. I think there is a mod for this software to do it, but 2 years ago they were saying 3.2 would probably have it...and they were on 3.1.

I'll look at the mod and see....