How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:22 am

I stubbornly leave everything up, inside and out, for the full twelve days. I don't start removing it until Jan 7, the day after Epiphany. But it's a lonely vigil around here, and I'm sure many people think I'm just lazy.

Last year I stripped my artificial tree of its ornaments on Jan 7, but my husband suggested we leave it up with its lights at least through January. We ended by leaving it up the entire winter. I think one reason January is so depressing is the contrast with the sparkle of December. We saw no reason to make our lives feel duller than they had to be.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:32 pm

That is the best attitude Murph.

I have enough items that are more or less winter & not specifically Christmas, so I edit out and of course I have lots of lights everywhere.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:21 am

My decorations always come down and all my Christmas related records, CDs, movies and the like are put away for the year on January 1st, not to be played again until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Now as Halloween decorations and the like are cheaper during the off season, so are Christmas decorations and the like. I do order new Christmas vinyl in July when I find something that's a 'must have,' and if it's a brand new record, I do play it so if it's defective I can return it, but other then that, Christmas is relegated to the time period which begins on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, through the 31st of December. On January 1st, IT'S OVER, no 'ifs' 'ands' or 'butts.'

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:50 pm

10-4 Sarge!

Just kidding. I have everything put away no later than January 31st.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I have read that in Catholic parts of Germany, they leave their Nativity sets out until Feb 2. That is Candlemas on the Catholic calendar, the ritual purification of the Virgin Mary 6 wks after childbirth. The sermons between Christmas and Candlemas are supposed to be about Jesus' youth. After that, everything points to the cross and Easter.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:22 am

Traditionaly, there are 12 days to Christmas, the first is the 25th of December and the 12th is the 5th of January. The Catholic Church observes the Holy Christmas Season until Jan 12th, but a lot of people will have their Christmas decorations up and lit all through January and even into early February. My late brother, God rest his soul, would play Christmas music every time it snowed, even if it was March or April. For me, Christmas is best celebrated from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving through the 31st of December. As of Jan 1st, I'm ready for the new year to begin in earnest, and I start dreaming of warmer weather, Spring and Summer fun, AND, as if it needed saying, Halloween.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:23 pm

My husband is Lutheran and I am Episcopalian. Both churches recognize the 12-day Christmas season, which ends at Epiphany, Jan 6.

Our niece went to college in New Orleans. She told us that Carnival Season kicks off at Epiphany and lasts until Ash Weds. They have the right idea down there. Party all winter long!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:43 pm

They also have the right weather for it, Murf. I was there once in late January a long time ago. It was a little chilly, but it wasn't freezing cold, snow on the ground and ice to slip on everywhere you look. It's a great place for people who like the carnival atmosphere. My oldest niece and her husband go to the Mardi Grass every year. They spend the night. On Fat Tuesday it's like the biggest party in the world. Bigger and better then New Years Eve at Times Square. Then on Ash Wednesday New Orleans is for all intents and purposes, a ghost town.

I always want to check out the Mardi Grass when I was younger. Now a days, I really don't abide huge crowds too well any more.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:03 pm

My husband dislikes crowds, too, even local ones.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Like I said, it would have been fun back in my younger days, but now that I'm older, it just gets too be to much of a hassle, and since my Gastric Bypass surgery, it takes me for ever to eat anything, so it wouldn't be a great time for me. I do still go and check out the Harvest Days Festival in Dwight Illinois. I usually go check out some of the 'local color,' for an hour or two, then I go to the various food stands and have everything I get bagged up to take home. That festival is STILL the only place where I can get a decent shish ka bob, elephant ears and funnel cakes.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:18 am

Local festivals are a lot of fun, and there's something to be said for just spending the day or the afternoon, and sleeping at home.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:27 pm

I quite agree. It's cheaper to sleep at home, too. Hotels charge an arm and a leg now a days, and my old car just might not make it all the way down to New Orleans.

This spring, there's going to be a Classic Car Fest here in Streator which is said to be one of the wildest times of the year. I missed out on it last Spring because I was down in Springfield Illinois helping my brother house paint.

I'm definitely going to check it out this Spring, though. I hear the food venders are pretty good at that shin-dig, too. Some of those cars will undoubtedly be for sale, but I certainly can't afford to buy one at this point in my life. It might be a great photo op, however.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:20 am

That sounds like a fun time for a guy who likes cars!

My mother's family was from Arkansas, and years ago, when I was a teenager, Winthrop Rockefeller was governor of that state. He had a fabulous antique car collection that he put on display at Mt Petit Jean State Park. I have never forgotten how beautiful those cars were.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:29 pm

There will be all kinds of cars at this show, ranging from early 20th Century Model T Fords to various classic muscle cars of 'yester year.' There no doubt will be some new cars, too as the new Dodge Charger and Ford Shelby Mustangs are classics in their own right, even though they aren't old. I know there will also be plenty of old Mercuries there as well. There are also motorcycles at a lot of these car shows, as there are street rods and pick-up trucks. Great photo opps to be sure, and though the beauties I'll be photographing will be relegated to my daydreams, I know that a great time will be had by all, and I should have no problem filling up my camera smart card.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:58 am

You will have a blast!

Do you still have your motorcycle?