What Kind of Tree Do You Have?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: What Kind of Tree Do You Have?

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:08 am

I has 6 foot fake done on landing above stairs and will get real tree in a week more perhaps.
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:03 am

Well, I love Christmas trees, and I was a tree purist for many years, insisting only on natural trees, not artificial. However, the first year I was married, we were living in TX, and my husband wouldn't let me buy a tree when I wanted to. By the time he gave the OK, they had sold out of trees! So we ended up with an artificial one. I was so angry about it!

However, as the years went by, there were times when that artificial tree was the only thing we could afford. I began to appreciate that about it.

When we lived in VA and had our first child, we had friends who owned a Christmas tree farm. They would give us one every year, and I loved the natural tree. But after we moved back to TN, we had to go back to the artificial one for monetary reasons.

Well, my older boy was 5 years old, and one holiday season he saw the natural trees lying in the gutter after Christmas. He asked me, Is our tree going to be thrown away? And I said, No, it is artificial, so we'll keep it for next year. And he said, Good. That was the first time it had ever occurred to me that my child might actually prefer the artificial tree, because he could keep it from year to year. Up until then I'd thought I was doing him wrong by having a fake tree.

About ten years ago, I bought a higher quality artificial tree, and now that is the one I use. But the one we originally had is still with us, out in the storage shed.

My tree is pretty tall--maybe 7 or 8 feet. We top it with a beautiful star that plugs into the lights, so it shines. Our ornaments are a hodge-podge we have collected over the years. Some are expensive and some were made by our kids. All of them tell a story. I love them all.

Oh, we have one of those Charlie Brown trees, too, because my daughter wanted it. She keeps it in her room.

For evergreen scent we have a natural-fir centerpiece on our table, as well as a natural wreath on the front door. Our church youth group was selling them this year.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 am

Up until last year we got a real tree. The last few years we have gotten real flocked trees, we love real trees.
Since we had to move into a small apartment, we got a small, 4ft fake tree......

I'm sure we'll put this one up again this year
Attachments
1-028.jpg
1-028.jpg (106.78 KiB) Viewed 16134 times
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Looks good!!! :D I still do have fake XMAS tree.... it's not up now. :?

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:33 pm

My family has a fake 7 footer. They've had it for as long as I can remember and it still looks good. I however, don't really participate in tree decorating. I make it so that I can't be found the day that starts. Something about touching that scratchy thing just doesn't sit well with me. This year however, my mom gave me a Jack Skellington ornament and a Harry Potter ornament. I showed up just long enough to hang those two and then I split :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 am

Once again, I went with a real tree like I traditionaly do every year. It's up and the lights are on. Tomorrow the little ones come over for the Tree Trimming Party.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:22 am

Hooray for tree-trimming parties! I suppose you'll have hot chocolate and cookies, too?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:26 am

There will be Oreos, and my cousen is going to bring home made Chocolate Chip cookies. I don't know how to make hot coco, except for the instant veriety, and I don't care for hot beverages anyway. My niece may bring some, or she may not.

The main 'Bill of Fare" for the Christmas party is going to be Spetheti and meat sauce with Italian Sausage meat balls, Garlic Bread, and a tossed salad. OF course, there will be Christmas music playing while we trim up the tree, and then the old Jules Bass Christmas specials on the DVD player after words.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:37 am

Spaghetti with meatballs is good, too!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 am

And even though I'm not Italian, that's one of my specialtees in the kitchen.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:30 am

I'm so hungry for spaghetti and meatballs and italian sausages!!! :D

Murfreesboro wrote:Spaghetti with meatballs is good, too!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:21 pm

You wold love my spatheti, iHaunt.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:32 am

Really? Are you the good cooker? What do you make marinara sauce?

Pumpkin_Man wrote: You wold love my spatheti, iHaunt.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:54 am

iHaunt, I don't use those pre made jar sauces. I make mine from scratch using Hunts tomato sauce and Hunts tomato paste. This year Here's the recipe I used. This recipe is suitable for a large number of people, about 13 or 14. But it can be scaled down.

5 to 6 pounds of ground chuck
2 pounds of bulk italian sausage
4 cans of Hunts Tomate Sauce
3 cans of Hunts Tomato Paste
1 large yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
garlic salt

The first steo is to chip up the garlic and onion. The garlic can take some time as it's harder to peel, but once it's peeled it goes pretty quickly.

The second step is to roll the Italian Sausage into balls, place them in a slightly greased aluminum baking pan. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees for about an hour to an hour and a half. I like to over cook the sausage, but not burn it.

Now it's time to fry up the ground meat. I usualy end up ising two skillets because of the quantity. Again, I like to over cook so the meat is well done. While it's frying, add in the chopped onions and garlic. As the meat if frying, you may want to put the tomato sauce and paste in a large mixing bowl. If you have an electric mix master, that would make the job go faster, but the key is to mix the paste and the sauce so there are no lumps. The electric mixer does a better job then a mixing spoon.

When all your meat is thourghouly cooked, put it in one of those aluminum baking pans (for serving, not for further baking) Add in the sauce and stir until all the cooked meat, garlic and onion are well mixed with the sauce.

The final step, is to chedk the meat balls. They should have a nice crispy shell on their outsides. That means they are ready. Using a pair of tongs, place the meat balls on top of the meat sauce as sort of a garnish. Cover the serving pan with aluminum foil and place in a 170 degree oven to keep it warm until your guests arrive. It's better IMHO to wait until they get there to prepare the pasta.

Good luck.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Ok, for me... I would make Furmano's sauces! :D They're soooo good~ ;)