CREEPY CHRISTMAS

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: CREEPY CHRISTMAS

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Believe it or not, the grotesque image attached to this post is actualy a Christmas, NOT a Halloween decoration, and I don't know how it makes you guys feel, but I'm creeped out by it. It's a wild bore's head, to be exact, and yes, it's real. It was donated by a taxidermist to the college to celebrate the Madrigal Singers, who "Swear oaths on this Christmas creature's head."

Personaly, I think this particular item is more suited to Halloween then to Christmas.

Mike
I think that's pretty cool. When I was in high school, I was in the choir and around the holidays we did a Madrigal as well. We had something similar to this for the performance, but it was not nearly as good as the one in the picture :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 am

Apperantly that boar's head is a very highly acclaimed Christmas tradition in England and in other part sof the world. The Madrigal concert is one of our most popular and attended events, too. I really love the music, and it's one of my favorite photo ops.

But I STILL think that thing is more at home among jack o'lanterns and skeletons than it is on a Christmas table. My 3 year old cousen was scared when she saw that picture. She thought it was going to come to life and bite her.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:31 am

Years ago I attended a medieval Christmas feast at a local college, where they were singing madrigals, and the boar's head was brought out. Everyone ate pork, but so many were in attendance that I'm sure it didn't all come from one boar!

It was interesting to see the boar's head in that context, where I was more or less expecting it, but in general I am not a big fan of looking at the faces of the animals I am eating. I guess I am a hypocrite. I eat the meat, but I don't want to be reminded of what the creatures looked like alive. If I had to kill them myself, I'd be a vegetarian.

BTW, the Boar's Head Carol is not very old. It was written sometime in the 19th century as part of that Christmas revival that was taking place at that time, as we've discussed in other threads.

As for the Nightmare before Christmas, I do love that movie, but for me it is strictly a Halloween movie. I am not in the mood for it at Christmas.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 am

Murf, I could see how that would bother a lot of people. I can also see how a thing like that boar's head could scare a little kid. As for "The Nightmare Before Christmas," this year I screened it for Halloween as it's an odd number year. Next year, it will be a December screening, and it may also possibley be screened on one of the Friday the 13ths.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:28 am

Boar's head is good! How about pork chittlering? Ears? Roasted deer meat? Deer ham?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 pm

iHaunt, for Christmas Dinner, I prefer turkey or Prime Rib of Beef.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:35 am

Good idea. How about XMAS nuts? :D

Pumpkin_Man wrote: iHaunt, for Christmas Dinner, I prefer turkey or Prime Rib of Beef.

Mike

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:42 am

I like nuts year round, not just at Christmas, but my father was NUTS about them (narf narf) You give him a can of Planters for Christmas, you made a friend for life.

I think at Christmas time, there's something special about peacans. I never had a chesnut, though.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:00 pm

I love Planters sea salt peanuts (lightly) only. Not some other nuts b/c I'm allergiced to them. :?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:32 pm

I'm partial to the sea salted cashews myself, but as I said, I love almost all nuts except for Brazil Nutes.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:16 am

Why Brazil nuts?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I can't really say, iHaunt. I just don't like the way they taste.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:51 am

I've never tried it before, but do you love pumpkin nuts? Just came out of pumpkins that you cook? Or, did you just only buy pumpkin seeds from the store?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 am

Do you mean pumpkin seeds? Roasted, they are delicious. They are sort of a cross between nuts and popcorn--crunchy like popcorn, but tasting a little "nutty."

I've never actually bought commercial ones. (They are called "pepitas," right?)

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes, I love roasted pumpkin seeds! :D