They Must Know We're Out There......

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: They Must Know We're Out There......

Post by iHaunt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 am

Yes, I do know Mike. :D :lol: What I saw on Saturday Night Live is what people was making joke about Santa, aka Satan. I really can't recall what the joke thery're talking about. It was really funny. :D

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I use to love "Saturday Night Live," the first two years it came out, but in the 3rd season, it more or less jumped the proverbial shark.

Mike

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:33 pm

We always have a turkey with either beef or pork for our Christmas day dinner. I prefer it with pork, so that's what we've had the last two years - turkey & pork! :D :wink:

We also have more meat with it - pigs in blankets. We also have roast potatos, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, cranberry & apple sauce with it! I normally wash mine down with an ice cold glass of coca-cola! :D

It's very nice! :wink:
Yours in haunting;

The Pumpkin King of Hallowe'en Town

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:15 am

Sometimes we have a turkey for Christmas, and sometimes we have baked chickens. I always bake a ham on Christmas Eve, and we use that to make Eggs Benedict for Christmas breakfast. I also make cranberry-orange bread, which we have that morning, too.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:58 pm

It's funny, but once again, I'm reminded of my Irish Catholic back ground. After the American colonies were well established, and raw materials were being exported to Europe, turkey became THE main Christmas tradition for the Irish, because it was much less expensive thend the beef that was prefered in England.

That tradition made it's way back to America with the first Irish imigrants, and for years, Turkey with all the trimmings was our traditional Christmas dinner. IT was exactly the same way as Thanksgiving. All the trimmings, Stuffing, candied yams, corn, mashed potatos, and all the other trimmings, and then we would have this beautiful multi layered cake for desert, along with an assortment of pies and cookies.

Then during the Thanksgiving holiday of 1986, we all came down with food poisening. Salmonella to be exact, and nobody wanted to face another turkey dinnter so soon afterwords, so we started having fresh ham, and later Prime Rib. We still have Prime Rib, and our traditional Christmas turkey died out for ever. I was a bit saddened by that, but then since I stay home for Christmas Eve, that's what I prepar for my dinner.

Mike

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 pm

We always buy a nice big, plump turkey. We have sandwiches Christmas day evening, use it on Boxing Day & also make a curry out of it the day after that. It always keeps nice & fresh & we've never been ill from one yet (touch wood)!
Yours in haunting;

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:28 pm

There has never been a Salmonella incident before 1986 or since, but it was sad to see our beloved Faimly tradition go, just like that. At any rate, I'll be preparing a turkey breast on the barbecue for Christmas Eve dinner.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Anyone will have roast deer meat on Christmas? :D

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:25 am

iHaunt wrote:Anyone will have roast deer meat on Christmas? :D
No! Do you also eat Santa too iHaunt! :lol:
Yours in haunting;

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:57 am

Jack Skellington wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There were hunters in my family connection when I was growing up. I have eaten roast deer, but not for many years.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 am

Nope. Beef, Pork and Turkey were the only 3 meats ever served at Christmas time. IT was Turkey for years, then one year it was Pork, and then for about the last 20 or so years it was Beef.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Ha ha ha! That's funny! :lol: :lol: Of course, you can eat Santa! Do you know why??? We do have Santa cookies! :D

By the way, anyone been there on SantaClaus.com Forums? You should definitely check it out :@: www.santaclaus.com/forums

Jack Skellington wrote:

Jack Skellington
Halloween Master

Post by Jack Skellington » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:17 pm

I'm tempted to go with Turkey & Beef this year. The last few years have been Turkey & Pork. I do love all the food at Christmas! :D

That's true iHaunt, i'll be having a few Santa gingerbread cookies! :D
Yours in haunting;

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Like I said, turkey for Christmas dinner is predominently an Irish Catholic tradition in the U S, but a lot of families have taken it up, as you see turkeys going on sale in December as much as they do in November. Besides, it's even in one of our most popular Christmas songs, and it goes something like this: "........everbody knows a turkey and a misle toe, help to make the seaon bright...."

But I also know that a lot of people have a tradition of Prime Rib for Christmas dinner. We started doing Prime Rib ourselvs back in the lat 80s. We did Fresh Ham for about 2 years and then changed it to Prime Rib, and the Prime Rib stuck.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I never knew that turkey for Christmas was considered Irish. My mother's family always had turkey at Christmas during my time of knowing them. My grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants. My grandfather was from British Isles stock (probably Welsh and Scotch-Irish), but his family had been in this country for so many generations that he didn't really know for sure where they came from over there.

I have always heard the British called "beef-eaters," and I was under the impression that roast beef was sort of an English thing at Christmas. However, I don't think everyone over there could have afforded that back in the 18th & 19th centuries, probably only the wealthy. Any American could just go out and shoot a turkey in those years. I think the poorer people in England ate goose at Christmas, the way Bob Cratchett's family does in Christmas Carol. (In the 1840s, turkeys were something only wealthy people got in England, so it's a big deal when Scrooge sends the Cratchetts a prize turkey at the end of that story.)

But of course Christmas itself, the way we celebrate it, is almost a 19th century invention. I don't think the American colonists were that much into it.