What does everyone like to eat for X-mas Eve and X-mas?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: What does everyone like to eat for X-mas Eve and X-mas?

Post by MauEvig » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm surprised, I thought more people had ham on Christmas, but it may just be because that's what a lot of people would have where I come from. When I worked at the small gas station, we even got a free Christmas ham from the boss.
It's almost like my home state has a culture all of it's own. They even make Macaroni salad different down here in the South.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh you poor Yankees. Don't y'all know what's important? :wink: :lol:

You MUST have a honey baked ham. You MUST have Tur-duc-hen! Then of course you must have regular turkey, either deep fried or baked.

Wash it down with a good Bloody Mary(of course this is only for those NOT driving later in the day)

Yea, that's a lot of food, but you'll be eating leftovers well into the New Year. Except ON New Years day, when you MUST have Black-eyed peas, Greens(collard) and of course corn bread. You can take some of the honey baked ham and fry it up to get some Red-Eye gravy from it to go with your meal too.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:06 am

Kolchak wrote: You MUST have a honey baked ham. You MUST have Tur-duc-hen! Then of course you must have regular turkey, either deep fried or baked.
Yea, maybe if you are wealthy...
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm far from rich Hoss.

Just an overworked and UNDERPAID civil servant.

But this time of year with people that you love and care for, and who might not always be here as we age or move from one part of the country, it's not hard if you think and behave wisely to have a ONCE in year meal, that allows you to eat well, and enjoy the company of those that mean the most to you.

It's a Southern thing for EVERYBODY to pitch in and give what they can. Sometimes that means less of one thing and more of another, but to enjoy this special day, with special people only one time out of 365, doesn't have to break you and doesn't require you go into debt to accomplish it.

Remember the reason for the season, be happy and give what you can. If all of you do it, then there is always plenty to go around and then some.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I agree with you and understand. But when the whole group is four people who have never made much it would be difficult. And even more so especially now. Both me and my sister are unemployed. My unemployment runs out after next week. My stepdad is wheelchair bound and has been in the hospital several times in the last 18 months so he and my mom have racked up medical bills, even on Medicare.

Not to suggest we starve, but we don't go overboard either. The focus is on being together and not about gifts. Last year, my stepdad was still in a nursing home at Christmas. It was with my urging that he came home for the day. He just wasn't sure he could do it. In the evening on Christmas day, he admitted to me that he was glad I kept pushing. It was one of the best Christmases ever, in retrospect. It was also my insistence that the Christmas tree goes up. Of course I met resistance. It is up now and decorated. And both my mom and stepdad are glad it is up.

If the training program I am about to enter goes well, things will turn around for me financially after June. I just hope I can deal with people on the phone and their IT problems. I can't really say more about it yet.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:03 am

Kolchak wrote:
Yea, that's a lot of food, but you'll be eating leftovers well into the New Year. Except ON New Years day, when you MUST have Black-eyed peas, Greens(collard) and of course corn bread. You can take some of the honey baked ham and fry it up to get some Red-Eye gravy from it to go with your meal too.
Ditto this.

Boogeyman, I have you in my prayers about your job.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:02 pm

I empathize with your financial plight, Boogeyman. It seems more and more of us are having to deal with less and less. I have a pretty good idea why this is, but I don't want to turn this into a political rant.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and hope things get better for you and your family.

I spent more than a few years in far off lands during Christmas time. Most of the time people were trying to kill me too. Even if it's not ideal for you right now, rejoice in the fact you have people close by you love and who love you, and together you'll see better days soon. Have faith.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:34 pm

Trust me I do. I hope I conveyed that earlier. Things may even improve on the relationship front as well. There is a lady that is a former co-worker and we have hung out quite a bit. We did do things like go out to dinner or a movie with another friend when we worked together, but I see her more now. Most of that was because I wanted to keep my work life and any social life separate, especially since I hated the job. Also I have Asperger's so social things aren't always easy for me. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

So I appreciate the kind thoughts and it looks like things may eventually turn around. When compared to what you went through while you served, it isn't so bad so I hope it didn't sound like I wanted a pity party. I don't. I just want understanding.

As for people struggling, I would probably agree with you on the reasons Kolchak.

Henry David Thoreau

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 pm

Kolchak wrote:Oh you poor Yankees. Don't y'all know what's important? :wink: :lol:

You MUST have a honey baked ham. You MUST have Tur-duc-hen! Then of course you must have regular turkey, either deep fried or baked.

Wash it down with a good Bloody Mary(of course this is only for those NOT driving later in the day)

*Face palm* Here we go with the "yankee" stuff. I'll have you know that I was never talented enough to get on that baseball team. :P

In any case, we decided to have Lasagna for our Christmas dinner. :D
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:18 pm

Lasagna?

For Dinner?

Gawd Girl!

Just go out and get a Big Mac why don't ya? :wink: :lol:

Don't be too hard on yourself not making the Yankee's baseball team. It ain't talent to be on that team.

It's a curse! :shock: 8) 8) :lol:

They ain't got nothing up there worth playing for anyway! 8) :lol: :wink:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:50 am

My second son is lobbying hard to have Mexican for Christmas. Ain't happenin', but he keeps bringing it up.

When I lived in TX I was aware that the Tex-Mex crowd often has something Mexican, maybe tamales? on Christmas morning, but that is not our tradition.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:14 am

I'm looking forward to a little roasted reindeer this year, maybe along with a partridge from the pear tree, with 2 turtle doves and 3 French hens on the side. As an appetizer we'll have 4 calling birds served on plates with 5 golden rings. Later, when the 6 geese are done laying, and the 7 swans go swimming and the 8 maids finish milking there will be entertainment. We're gonna have 9 ladies dancing and 10 lords a leaping to the accompaniment of 11 pipers piping and 12 drummers drumming. Should make for a very long and eventful evening.

vrb8919
Crypt Keeper

Post by vrb8919 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Our Christmas meal is basically the same as our Thanksgiving. Turkey, ham, stuffing, deserts, etc.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Make sure you video tape that NeverMore!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:19 am

Where I come from Lasagna is a dinner dish. We figured we'd do something different for a change.

Yeah the "yankee's" baseball thing was a joke. :lol: I'm actually more of a video game nerd than a sports person.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection