What does everyone like to eat for X-mas Eve and X-mas?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Pumpkin56
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

What does everyone like to eat for X-mas Eve and X-mas?

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I think people were kinda mentioning this on another thread, but how about a new one? Everyone likes talking about eating, right? :)

For years and years, my family did traditional food, which was basically the exact same thing we would eat at Thanksgiving. Then, several years back, my dad started a new tradition--Fajitas for Christmas dinner. That was a huge hit and everyone loved it. Last year, my dad and uncle decided to do prime-rib for Christmas. It was good, but it was such a bummer not to have Mexican food. Seeing as we weren't going to get our fajitas that year, my sister and I went to our favorite Mexican food joint and got tons of appetizers such for our Christmas Eve grazing. I don't think anything has been decided yet about this year, but everyone keep their fingers crossed for me that fajitas are in the cards!! :D To me it should be a no-brainer--Mexican food is like the native food of our people (Texans)! :lol:

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: What does everyone like to eat for X-mas Eve and X-mas?

Post by NeverMore » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:28 pm

I'd love me some reindeer meat roasting over an open fire, along with some chestnuts. Yum! Yum!

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I love fajatas! We will have turkey, ham, collard greens, sweet potatoes, cranberries, mashed potatoe and sweet dinner rolls! :D Of course, we will have desserts and sausage balls! ;)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 am

Oh, I am pretty set in my Christmas Eve-Christmas Day food.

Christmas Eve I make cranberry-orange bread, a crock pot of "wassail" (basically cranberry apple spiced punch), and I bake a ham. We go to church. My husband and I sing in a choir at the Lutheran church at a 7 pm candlelight service. Then my older son and I go downtown to the Episcopal church for the midnight service.

Christmas breakfast we have the cranberry orange bread while we open gifts. Then we have a brunch of eggs Benedict with the ham I baked the night before.

At some point later in the day, we have the Christmas feast. Sometimes I bake a turkey and sometimes two or three hens, always with my homemade cornbread sage & onion stuffing. For sides I have a broccoli rice casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, and a citrus salad (it has a dressing with cardamom, honey, and citrus juice, heated and poured over sliced citrus of various types). We usually have a pumpkin pie for dessert, though we could have another type. And we have lots of Christmas candy from Santa.

I'm a Southerner, so at New Year's, black-eyed peas & greens with cornbread are de rigueur. My husband has gotten so he likes to make a roast beef that day as well. He has a wonderful recipe he got off of Cook's Country that he likes to use.

I also try to mark Epiphany (Jan 6) in some way. Last year I made Gift of the Magi bread. The kids liked it, so I may do that again.

ancient whitelighter
Haunt Master

Post by ancient whitelighter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am

That sounds awesome, Murf! Holy cow! What a wonderful spread for your loved ones to enjoy :D
Celebrate Life!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks! When I was growing up, the food was a big part of the holidays among my mother's family connection in Arkansas. I have tried to continue what I learned there, adapting it a little for my own family.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:31 am

Up until about 1986, our family traditional Christmas meal was allways turkey with all the trimmings, just like Thanksgiving. Now a days it's Prim Rib. I barbecue a turkey breast at home for Christmas Eve as I usualy stay home for that day, but I have Prim Rib at my brother's house on Christmas Day.

I also prepare Beef & Whine Sauce for New Years Eve and Day.

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:21 am

NeverMore wrote:
I'd love me some reindeer meat roasting over an open fire, along with some chestnuts. Yum! Yum!
Where are you at Nevermore? I have a friend in Finland and he eats reindeer as well. Other than him, I don't know anyone else that eats it.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:32 am

Mike, all ribs.... all kinds are very, very good to eat! :D So how about burgers? :)

Morticia
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Morticia » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:55 pm

We did goose for a few years, this year we're gonna have rabbit.
Be afraid....be very afraid!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Burgers for Christmas iHaunt??? I don't think so. And when it's not ribs, it's Prime Rib. It's a huge roast with the ribs left on it. IT's very good, and I like to barbecue it on my smoker during the Summer months. ON Christmas Eve, however, I do a turkey breast. My younger sister prepares Prime Rib for Christmas Day, but she does it in the oven. It's still quite good, though, and the gravy she makes from scratch really makes the meal.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
NeverMore wrote:
Where are you at Nevermore? I have a friend in Finland and he eats reindeer as well. Other than him, I don't know anyone else that eats it.
Oh... I've never actually partaken but I do believe you should eat what you kill, and one of these years that jolly old fat man is gonna fly right over my house. :twisted:

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:12 am

No burgers for XMAS at all! WE should eat turkey and deer ham! :D I know mostly restaurants will close on XMAS! :D

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:35 am

NeverMore you're a mess!! :lol:

I will be the one who has Christmas at my house this year, so I was thinking on having Turkey, and Ham as the main meal, my sides will be Mash potato's & gravy, green bean casserole, and a salad, a tray with pickles and olives, another tray with assortment of cheese slices, crackers, for deserts, it will be Christmas cookies & an assortment of breads, pumpkin bread, Banana bread ect....

Tell me what you think and did I forget anything? :?
I haven't had to do Christmas in 3 years, Paul's family likes to rotate having Thanksgiving & Christmas, so know one gets stuck doing all the holidays.
:alien:

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Any one like to eat fruit cake for XMAS? Also, how about sausage balls? cookies? cakes? :D