Christmas movies

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Christmas movies

Post by iHaunt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 pm

So what are all of you going to watch XMAS movies this month?

I love to see Black Christmas classic and remake, too. Also, Gremlins movies! :lol: My grandpa loves National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation! :D

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Christmas movies

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:51 am

We have a whole album of Christmas movies. Among my favorites are Scott's Christmas Carol, Rick Steves' European Christmas, Bethlehem Star, The Holiday, Rudolph, Charlie Brown, While You Were Sleeping, Love Actually, The Nativity, The Family Man, Wonderful Life. My husband likes Christmas Vacation more than I do, but sometimes I am in the mood for it. Ditto Home Alone, which the kids like. Oh, and I got one last year called Joyeux Noel which I rather like--a true story about a spontaneous Christmas truce during WWI. I prefer the cartoon Grinch to the live-action, but my kids like the live-action better.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 am

My all time favorite Christmas Movie is "It's a Wonderful Life," and my all time favorite Christmas Story in general is "A Christmas Carol." Of course I also screen "The Nativity" every Christmas Eve.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:34 am

Oh, I am right with you there, Mike. I don't know that Wonderful Life is my all-time favorite seasonal movie, but it is very, very good, and I do enjoy it. Christmas Carol is THE secular Christmas Story for me. And I enjoy The Nativity, too, which I actually bought because you recommended it.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:39 am

Murf, it you have a Netflix account, order it, even if you have to wait until after Christmas. "It's a Wonderful Life" is a fabulous Christmas story, that will move you to tears. The very first time I saw "It's a Wonderful Live," oddly, was not at Christmas time, but in the middle of July during a major heat wave. It was the Summer of 1979, we were experiencing night time lows of 91 degrees, and our central air conditioning was on the fritz, and my parents ( I was living with them back them) didn't have the money to get it fixed. Anyway, it was about 1 or 2 in the morning. I couldn't sleep because of the heat, and Channel 44 aired it. I totaly forgot about the heat and humidity, and was thinking about Christmas tradition, snow and Winter fun.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:50 am

We don't do Netflix, but we do collect many, many DVDS, and Wonderful Life is one of them. It is my older boy's favorite Christmas movie, I think, and I like it, too. Your association of it with a difficult time in your life is a great testimony to its message!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks for the kind words, Murf. I agree. The way that simple Christmas story made me forget how miserable and how poor we were for those moments really brought the Christmas Sprit to my heart. Too bad it had to be in the middle of a July heat wave instead of during the Advent season.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:01 am

I believe I've heard that that movie was originally released in the summertime, because the studio had no faith in it. It didn't emerge as a classic until they began showing it on TV many years later. The public in general responded to it, and the TV executives were astonished.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:09 am

I always watch Christmas Vacation (can absolutely relate to that movie), Love Actually, the Home Alone Movies, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Die Hard :) I'm usually forced to watch A Christmas Story on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day because my lame older brother always turns it on when the family gets together. I'd rather take a butt kicking than watch that movie!

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:04 am

I have several, The Drummer boy, Fred Claus, Frosty, Rudolph, The Santa Claus with Tim Allen. I'm sure I am missing a million more!!!!

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:36 am

How about....

A White Christmas Carol

Home Alone

Silent Night, Deadly Nightly

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Oh, I don't know how I left Christmas Story off my list. Sorry you don't like it, Pumpkin! For those of us "of a certain age," it brings back memories! My childhood was slightly more recent than the one depicted in the movie, but the popular culture was still very similar.

I like the Santa Clause too, Witchy!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:17 pm

Murf, part of the problem with "It's a Wonderful Life is the fact that they did release it in the Summer time. Who wants to see a Christmas story in the middle of July? I was going to turn the chnnel the first tiem I saw it on WSNS Tv 44 back in the Summer of 79, but I just got interested in it, and then I fell in love with it.

The great public response to "It's a Wonderful Life" actualy happened when it was aired, for the first time, during the Christmas season.

As for "A Christmas Story," I enjoyed it, but it's no timeless classic HIMH. If I happen to catch it on cable, I watch it, though. ".........you'll shoot your eye out, kid.....ho ho ho......Merry Christmas........" And then Santa Clause kicks him down the slide.

Mike

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:10 am

It's kinda funny, I didn't like a Christmas story either, but my husband & his brother thinks it's the worlds best movie ever!!!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:11 am

witchy wrote:I didn't like a Christmas story either!!!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"