Christmas Music?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Christmas Music?

Post by Kolchak » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 pm

What's your favorite Christmas song?

I like the older and conventional guys like Andy Williams, Perry Como, Mitch Miller, Bing Crosby and the like, but I also like some of the more contemporary artists too. I like Neil Diamond, Josh Groban and Michael Buble. This year I was surprised to hear an album by Christopher Cross that was off the chain. Restless Heart, was a country/pop group back in the 80s that have a Christmas album out too, and it is awesome.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Christmas Music?

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:15 pm

The Vince Guaraldi trio from the original Peanuts special is always cued up near me.

My number one contemporary song is from that train wreck of a movie, Christmas with the Kranks.

So, crank this one up when you get a chance.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcPJ75zZs ... rcPJ75zZso
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 am

I am a huge fan of TSO. I have seen them four times but the last time was a few years ago. I also have several albums from Gary Hoey, a guitarist that has three albums of guitar versions of the Christmas songs. Some are faster than others. I can pretty much listen to all Christmas music except the few that I hate.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 pm

TSO and Mannheim Steamroller are both great to hear live if you get the chance. Two years ago went and saw Mannheim Steamroller and it was like 80 degrees. Had to get over the weather but still a great show!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am

I love all kinds of Christmas music, but I am very partial to "early" music, like, Medieval, Renaissance, etc. One I particularly love from the Oxford Book of Carols is "A Virgin Most Pure." I grew up in the Episcopal church and will be attending a very traditional Lessons & Carols service this Advent season, as well as the midnight service on Christmas Eve. There will be lots of music from the English tradition at those services.

My daughter was asking me the other day what my favorite Christmas carol is, but that's a hard one to answer. Maybe O Come all Ye Faithful. My husband likes O Little Town of Bethlehem, and my daughter prefers God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. My mother's favorite was Silent Night.

I enjoy the secular music, too, but as I grow older I find that I genuinely prefer the sacred Christmas songs.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I love all kinds of Christmas music, but I am very partial to "early" music, like, Medieval, Renaissance, etc. One I particularly love from the Oxford Book of Carols is "A Virgin Most Pure." I grew up in the Episcopal church and will be attending a very traditional Lessons & Carols service this Advent season, as well as the midnight service on Christmas Eve. There will be lots of music from the English tradition at those services.

My daughter was asking me the other day what my favorite Christmas carol is, but that's a hard one to answer. Maybe O Come all Ye Faithful. My husband likes O Little Town of Bethlehem, and my daughter prefers God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. My mother's favorite was Silent Night.

I enjoy the secular music, too, but as I grow older I find that I genuinely prefer the sacred Christmas songs.
My favorite arrangement of Gaudete...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EDc2FD-vy8 ... Dc2FD-vy8M
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:35 am

Oooh, thanks for that link! Very nice! :D

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Trans Siberian orchestra hands down, especially since I'm already into rock and heavy metal, having some rockin' heavy metal guitar Christmas music is just plain awesome in my opinion.

My favorite is Wizards in Winter in their albums. ^^

The first time I heard this song they had a video and incorporated it into a Christmas display, such as this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqZ43UdVf4

I don't know if this is the same one, but I figured I'd share anyway. ^^
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:43 pm

MauEvig wrote:Trans Siberian orchestra hands down, especially since I'm already into rock and heavy metal, having some rockin' heavy metal guitar Christmas music is just plain awesome in my opinion.

The more you post, the more I like you.

I also have this...http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Christmas ... +christmas
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau