Which is your favorite of Santa's Reindeer?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Which is your favorite of Santa's Reindeer?

Post by MauEvig » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm sure everyone had a favorite reindeer while growing up. As cliche as it probably sounds, my favorite was Rudolph. It might be because of his unique "power" that he has, that other reindeer don't have that I always thought was pretty cool. Maybe it's because of his back story, (which looking back on it now, is rather cheesy. You get to delve a tad bit into his back story in Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July) who knows? But I found that I was disappointed when I was a young girl if a Santa Claus Christmas special didn't have Rudolph on it.
Of course, back then I didn't have any concept of things like copy right infringement and such, I thought Rudolph was genuinely one of Santa's reindeer and didn't understand why he wasn't in all the Christmas specials (except for prequels like Santa Claus is coming to Town, which is understandable, and I do believe Rudolph made at least a cameo appearance in that special.)
I even had a plush of Rudolph, which has sadly worn out over the years, and I think I had to eventually throw it away.

So who was your favorite Reindeer?
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Which is your favorite of Santa's Reindeer?

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:01 pm

The one we had for Christmas dinner two years ago. :wink:
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 pm

Yep and he was delicious! Little butter and garlic salt and we washed it down with a fine Cabernet Sauvignon!

His head looks really good over my fireplace too. Think I'll get another next year. :shock:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 am

You all are so mean! :lol:

I don't think I have much connotation of the personalities of the reindeer other than Rudolph. There was a movie called Prancer some years back, but I never saw it. The Rudolph TV special was a great childhood favorite of mine, and I still regard it as one of the best seasonal children's specials.

Rudolph is younger than the eight reindeer mentioned in the classic poem, so he naturally isn't included in those stories that took place before he was born. :wink:

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 pm

And Rudolph was created as part of a marketing campaign for a department store called Montgomery Ward. Think of it like a smaller Sears.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Well, at least you didn't bring up the "Magical Christmas tumor joke" :P

I remember it being a marketing campaign, but again I didn't realize that up until I was all grown up.

So any Christmas special made that doesn't feature Rudolph, I should just assume that's before Rudolph showed up? Just curious. (Although, Olive the other reindeer mentions him as an urban legend, but I didn't really like that too much. I didn't watch the entire special though.) There have been some scenarios where Rudolph is known of, but not mentioned due to the copy right infringements. Perhaps I should just take it as, some cartoons and live action movies involving Santa have a different canon. The Santa Clause with Tim Allen, I don't think has Rudolph in it, but there's a lot of different explanations for Santa, so I assume that there are different Santa canons, and only a few in particular feature Rudolph.

I thought about doing my own Rudolph story, perhaps a "fanfiction" if you will, where Rudolph let's his "fame" go to his head. XD
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Boogeyman wrote:The one we had for Christmas dinner two years ago. :wink:
Comments like this make me yearn for an up vote button.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:26 pm

The less we are like that other site the better.

Henry David Thoreau