Real Tree or Artificial

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Real Tree or Artificial

Post by Kolchak » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:32 pm

When I got back to the world I swore I would never have a fake Christmas tree in my house. So far I've kept that promise, although my wife gripes about the needles.

But for mi casa...It has to be a Fraser Fir every year.

What about you?

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Real Tree or Artificial

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:31 am

I have a condo but it is set up like an apartment building, meaning I have halls to walk through to get to my door. That means no real tree for me.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:37 am

Well, I have a tale to tell on this subject. I grew up with real trees (mostly Frasier firs, which I love), and I always swore there would be no artificial trees for me, ever.

Flash forward to my first Christmas after my marriage, when my husband was in the Army and stationed in TX. There were some trees for sale at local groceries around Thanksgiving, maybe a little before, but my new husband was adamant that we were not going to put Christmas ahead of Thanksgiving. By the time he OK'd the purchase of a tree, there were none left anywhere in the town! So it was go to Sears for a fake tree or have no tree at all. I was beyond furious, and I hated the tree we bought that year.

Over the years, however, as we moved and changed jobs and went through all the vicissitudes of life, there were some years when, if not for that fake tree, we would have had no tree at all, because we couldn't have afforded one. This included some of the years after we began to have children.

The year we moved to TN, my mother was dying in AR, and I just couldn't afford the time or the money for a real tree. So we pulled out our ancient fake one again. A few days after Christmas, my older son, then five, saw a forlorn Christmas tree glittering in the gutter, where someone had pitched it out. My son asked, "Will we have to throw away our Christmas tree?" And I said, "No, ours is artificial, so we will pack it away for another year." And he said, "Good."

That response from my child completely changed the way I felt about artificial trees. Up until then, I had thought of them as a cheap substitute for the real thing, and in no way to be preferred except on the issue of price. But my child reminded me that by saving the tree from year to year, I was sparing him the poignancy of having to throw away his beloved tree. It was probably the next year, or the year after, that I saw an expensive artificial tree I really liked, and I kept my eye on it until it went on sale the day after Christmas. That is the one we have used ever since, and I am very content with it. My daughter was even saying just this week how happy she is that we don't have to throw away our tree.

I do miss the scent of a natural tree, though our church sells wreaths and centerpieces each year, so we are able to get some of that fresh evergreen smell into our home in that way. Otherwise I go the route of those plug-in room fragrances.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:40 pm

Dammit Murf, I said I wouldn't cry today :)

Artificial barely comes in first for safety and cleanliness .

The one in the center of the photo is my main tree, I have dozens of all shapes and sizes.

It holds my mini ornament collection, both new and antique.

Sorry for the potato quality image.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (191.69 KiB) Viewed 22025 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Red plastic cone, led lights, thrift store silver bowl; instant Christmas.
Attachments
IMG_20131221_121344-picsay.jpg
IMG_20131221_121344-picsay.jpg (123.19 KiB) Viewed 22005 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:56 am

Murf, got my friends
wax warmers this year. You can get pine scented wax to use with them. Great way to fill your house with the aroma without an real tree or open flame.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:00 am

I prefer artificial, and I shall explain why, but first I have an amusing story to tell about my tree. XD

This tree we have now came from an after Christmas special at Big Lots. My mom bought it for me to make sure that when I finally moved out, I'd have my own tree. It came pre-lit with white lights, so no need to buy Christmas lights for it, and she only paid about $3. I kept it in storage for a while, then I moved down to Virginia.

Last August I went up north to visit family, and I had left the tree there and decided I wanted to bring the tree home with me so we could have it for Christmas. Now granted, I was in more of a Halloween mood then, and when I saw the Halloween decorations come up at the local Big Lots I literally made a bee line to those and picked up my cat light that I showed on another post in this forum. Still, I knew I probably wouldn't get another chance to go up before Christmas and knew this was going to be my first Christmas living with my boyfriend and wanted the tree so it would be special, so I was adamant that that tree was coming home with me.

That tree was snug right up against my boyfriend driving all the way home from New York to Virginia with a small car loaded with a bunch of my stuff leaving virtually no elbow room and making it difficult for him to shift. Needless to say, every time any mention of the tree is made, he always says "I just HAD to have that tree." That tree I just HAD to have, is proudly displayed in our living room, and I think it was well worth being crammed like sardines all the way home for 12 long hours.

As for why I prefer artificial trees, I think it's wasteful and sad to use a real tree. Sure it's tradition for many people, but for me putting up the artificial tree is tradition. I also agree with murf's son, it's sad seeing a dead tree sitting out in the gutter to rot away. I save a tree and "go green" by using an artificial one. When my mom married my step dad we did have a real tree a few times, but I think it's a pain. They die, and needles fall everywhere and it's just a huge fire hazard. So I prefer the fake ones. Besides they have so much variety now a days and you only need to buy one until it wears out or if you decide to "upgrade." I may get a better one one day, but I like the one we have now and it serves it's purpose. After all, I just had to have it! XD
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:12 am

Mau, your story about the trip south brought back memories to me. My husband and I got married in TN and moved immediately to TX, so when we went on our honeymoon, I was sandwiched among all these possessions--wedding gifts, stuff from my Nashville apartment, etc. I know the kind of trip you and your BF were making!

Nevermore, we actually did purchase one of those wax warmers this year. You are right, they create a great scent!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm

That's pretty funny Murf. Seems like we have some similar experiences in life. :)

I also want to add that I read your story again, and I felt it was very touching and heart warming, and got me a bit emotional. I am looking forward to getting our little tree "I just had to have" out this year. I love this time of year and already I'm getting ideas for Christmas decorating. I'll also be adding a couple of table top trees to the decorating this year. I think your children are wise my friend. I too share their sadness when I see a lonely tree being thrown out in the gutter.

Despite not using real trees, I don't mind using real pine cones. Anyone ever decorate those and make them into little Christmas ornaments with paint and glitter and stuff? I don't know if that would give a good pine scent, but maybe I should look into getting some air fresheners that do just the thing.

Now that Halloween is over, I guess it's time to dust off the Thanksgiving and Christmas threads. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:24 pm

I watched Frozen today, and when my husband saw I had pulled it out, he remarked, "You are getting into a Christmas mood now."

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Haha, well I'm trying to hold back. With Halloween over I need something to "fill the void" I guess you could say. I'm trying to focus on Thanksgiving for right now. It's a smaller holiday, not as much decorating, but I am determined not to decorate for Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving.

Plus I still have a few Halloween decorations to pick up and put away yet.

Frozen's a good movie. It actually surprised me with how beautiful the story was, and for once it wasn't all "cheesy Disney romantic" lol.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Frozen is a surprisingly good story, I agree.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Murf, you story's so touching. I personally prefer the artificial trees; they remain beautifully, until you're ready to take them down.

Oh and the wax warmers that Nevermore suggested, work wonderfully.