Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

Post by MauEvig » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 am

A common debate these days in regards to Christmas is whether the greeting should be Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas is arguably the traditional greeting, most people (at least in the states) celebrate Christmas.

Yet, there seems to be a huge debate on whether we should actually be saying Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, because some people don't celebrate Christmas and people are too afraid of being offended. I think it's kind of silly, and I honestly think if someone celebrates another holiday, I can just wish them a happy whatever they celebrate (such as Kwanzaa, Hannukah or Yule.)

I myself am descended from a Jewish bloodline from my Great Grandfather, but my Great Grandfather married a Christian woman. His family ended up having a funeral for him afterwards. Never once did we celebrate any Jewish holidays such as Hannukah or Passover, though I'd always wanted to in addition to Christmas celebrating. I pretty much grew up with Christmas, and plan to observe Christmas every year (mostly in it's secular form) until the day I die. So I wish others a Merry Christmas unless of course I know they celebrate another holiday.

I kind of think Happy Holidays is way too generic, and I don't believe the "holidays" are over at Christmas, since there's still New Years and such. (Though the news teams say the holidays are over after Christmas, so I don't see why they don't just come out and say Christmas is over instead). I don't mind it if people wish me a Happy Holidays, but some people go absolutely berserk over it. On the other hand, some people go berzerk over Merry Christmas. I honestly think if someone wished me a Happy Hannukah or Kwanzaa, I'd be happy they thought to wish me such a holiday greetings even if I don't observe or celebrate it. I certainly wouldn't be offended.

What do you guys think? Do you prefer Merry Christmas since that's what you celebrate, or what most people celebrate anyway, or do you prefer Happy Holidays to prevent people from getting offended? I think it's silly to get offended either way, though I do prefer Merry Christmas, and I'm not even religious.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays?

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:32 am

All of the above and if one person gets offended that I said one thing instead of another so what?

My intent is to wish them well, not to validate their belief system.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:19 am

Andybev01 wrote:All of the above and if one person gets offended that I said one thing instead of another so what?

My intent is to wish them well, not to validate their belief system.
Great response.

I prefer Merry Christmas, and around here, wishing people a Merry Christmas is seldom an issue. However, I did have a Jewish landlady when I lived in Nashville as a grad student, and I would always send her a "Happy Holidays" card. If you know the religion/personal practices of an individual, it only makes sense to wish them something appropriate. And I can understand why businesses prefer "Happy Holidays," since they don't want to offend potential customers. (However, in Murfreesboro, even many businesses stick to "Merry Christmas.")

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Happy Holidays is political correctness run amok. There is and has been for some time a clear attempt by these people to make all traditional holidays into something else. Pick a holiday or tradition and you will find someone in the politically correct segment of Big Brother that says it offends some group or another or excludes one group or another.

I am what I am, so sayeth Popeye the sailor and so sayeth me. But it seems that I along with those who look like me are being told that we must change in order to ensure that anyone that does not look or talk or think like us isn't offended or made to feel uncomfortable.

But when I point out that they are making me feel uncomfortable and I am offended, I am told that I don't count. My feelings are not as worthy or as important as those who I'm told I must change for. Why?

I'd like to find anywhere in the US Constitution or The Bill of Rights where it says we must not hurt someone else's feelings while it is perfectly okay for them to say and do things that I find offensive or hurtful.

The holiday is called Christmas. Therefore I say Merry Christmas. Thankfully everyone else I have met so far totally agrees with me, and this cuts across all gender, age, cultural, racial lines.

Yet there are those who feel they must do their best to push an agenda labeled as "Progressive" but in truth is totalitarian in the extreme.

About 6 or 7 years ago a small group in New York City wanted the cross removed from area Christmas decorations. They said it promoted a particular religion. The fact it was Christmas seemed to be lost on them when they continued to say anything Christian would be offensive to non-Christians.

They wanted the cross replaced with a Christmas tree.

They had three designs that were put up to represent the three religions that are celebrated during that time of year. They said the Christmas tree was not religious and would not offend anyone. Then they pointed out that the Star of David would be used to represent Judaism and the Crescent Moon would be used to celebrate Islam.

When it was pointed out that the Star of David and Crescent Moon were religious icons, the response was.....That's Different.

So during Christmas it is okay to proud to be Jewish and Muslim, but to proclaim pride in Christianity is offensive, mean spirited, non-inclusive and divisive.

Does ANYBODY see a problem there?

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Get out of my head man. The thing that really irks me is seeing "Xmas" instead of Christmas. Yes, I know about 'X" being Chi in greek which means Christ. It is still taking Christ out of Christmas. I don't get offended by Happy Holidays because it can be a statement covering Christmas and New Years. Especially if it is someone you may not see again before New Years Day.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 am

I'm not all that religious, so "x-mas" doesn't really bother me that much, to me it's just people being too lazy to write out "Christmas."

But as far as saying Happy Holidays is concerned, I think Kolchak is right, people are too worried about being offended. Despite not being a Christian, I'm not going to be offended by a cross. It's a huge double standard to say that other religious symbols are acceptable, but the Christian one isn't. Either all religions have to be accepted, or none to be fair.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection