Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving talk at Thanksgiving.info
Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Speaking on behalf of people everywhere, we thank you :)
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:23 am

I'm a little early with my Thanksgiving wishes this year, because I do most of my cooking the day before. In case I don't gt to stop by here tomorrow, have a blessed holiday, everybody!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Spookymufu wrote:For someone that really dislikes people in general, Black Friday is especially hard on the nerves, but, since I'm a backroom employee my exposure was limited....
Andybev01 wrote:Speaking on behalf of people everywhere, we thank you :)
ugh....well, this year with my new position I get a new "job" on black Friday, I get to be the schmuck that hands out the cheap TVs people buy (then bring back a few days later) so I'll be out in front of the crowd this year.......poop
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:00 pm

They usually do that with the cannon fodder.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:27 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! And thanks Murf. Let us know how it goes!

I completely understand what it's like having to work during holidays. That's why I am not shopping today. We got our stuff ahead of time that we needed. :)

I would hate to be at the forefront of Black Friday. That would be exhausting and my anxiety would probably be doing jumping jacks. I'm sorry you have to go through that Spooky. ._.

I'm hoping to get a job at Kroger's. It'll be at the courtesy desk, and I'll also be helping people carry groceries out to their cars and retrieve carts. I would have preferred working in the back doing stocking or something, but oh well. Right now a job's a job, and subbing isn't going to pay enough unless I get called in every single day. Still hoping to get in at the other county to sub as well. So then I'll be working 3 jobs if you want to be technical, and I might take a semester break from school if I get the job at Kroger. Not going to quit by any means, but my brain needs a rest. I'll have to work Nights and Weekends because that's what my availability is. Sometimes though you have to make a few sacrifices to put food on the table. At least the hours aren't too bad, and if I work Christmas Eve I'll get off early. Christmas day they're closed too so that'll be nice.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:26 pm

We had a great meal, took a walk around the neighborhood in the mid-afternoon (gorgeous weather), then had leftovers for supper as we watched a football game. They are still watching it. All in all, a lovely day.

I hope everything works out for you with your jobs, Mau! Having three jobs is demanding, but sometimes necessary. I admire your determination! I know you will go back to school when the time is right for it.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Yes, I hope you all enjoyed the holiday.

Here is the calm before the storm.
Attachments
1126151640_20151126195841801.jpg
1126151640_20151126195841801.jpg (150.8 KiB) Viewed 31680 times

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:50 am

What a beautiful table!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:45 am

Wow Andy you always have great displays!

We had an amazing dinner and had a quiet simple Thanksgiving at home. It was perfect. :)

Looks like I got the job! I got called today. They just need to get the paperwork in to set up my orientation. :)
You're right Murf, it's going to be hard. But it'll be worth it in the end. Granted I won't be subbing all the time I'm sure. If the school I sub for is any indication, I'll probably only be there a couple times a month. I'm not sure how the other school district will be. I guess it depends on the need. The other school district has a system where I can plan ahead to sub rather than wait for a phone call, though I might still get called anyway. Right now I think taking a semester off to get my ducks in a row is what I need to do. Once Fall comes around, I'll probably have made a decision. If I do go for Mary Baldwin, I'll have time to save up a bit. Right now I think it's between that or Regent, unless I decide to go for Elementary Education and see if I can get endorsed to teach 7th and 8th grade later on. I heard the best way to do it is to major in a specific subject such as English, and then go for my endorsements by taking the Praxis exams. They like Middle School teachers to be endorsed in at least 2 subjects. I could probably go for English and Science, and maybe History. But Math? No way. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:20 am

English and science sounds good to me. Maybe find out if there is a subject area they like to assign to coaches. In many places it's history/social studies. If you can think of any extracurricular you might be able to sponsor, that could help in the job search later.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:28 am

Well...if the school has any creative writing clubs that would be awesome. When I was in late middle school/early high school I was in a club called "Writer's Ink." The club had meetings every week, sometimes it would be the "extra" period of the day, other times it would be during the really late hours (I often could not attend those because my mom worked nights and she was my only ride. If I could attend, I often got a ride home with a friend's parents). Writer's Ink published a Literary Magazine that had poems, short stories and essays from school students, including club members. We would also read poetry to some of the kids in the younger grades, and I remember doing a poetry reading at the library once. My 8th Grade English Teacher was the one who organized it. It would be awesome if I could organize something like that at the school. I was in "Interact" for a while as well and the Year Book Staff. I guess I was more into clubs than Sports, but I'm not sure if that's something that could be used for extracurricular activities or not. Maybe. That's something I'd like to sponser.
Or maybe I can take up Karate and teach that to the kids. I always wanted to do that. I'd have to get in better shape first before I could tackle any sports. :lol:

English and Science are both fun subjects. I have developed an appreciation of History when I moved to Virginia. I could probably talk to some local teachers and find out. When I'm subbing, that would probably be a good time to do so.

I met a really awesome 6th grade teacher the last time I subbed so I think I'll add 6th grade to my list of potential grades. The kids in that grade were fun. It really surprised me that they were teaching them MLA format at that age! I don't think I did MLA until I was at least at the College level. Being a small town school she mostly allowed the kids to pick their own books to read for book reports, although she did have one class-wide book she had them read. What really floored me was that she had Manga in the classroom! :shock: Now that was awesome.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:40 pm

I thought Manga was only legal in Alaska. Oregon, Colorado and D.C.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:49 pm

Manga refers to Japanese comics. I'm not sure what you're referring to Andy. Something else perhaps?
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:19 am

:lol:

I think a creative writing club such as you describe would be fantastic! Teachers sponsor all kinds of clubs. My husband has a colleague who sponsors a chess club, another who sponsors a Dungeons & Dragons club.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Is everyone ready for Thanksgiving this year? I think it seems to have coming much to fast this year! I need it to slow down just a little. What do you guys think?