MINI PAINTING AND OTHER COOL STUFF

What crafts are fun for the holiday season?
Belladonna
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: MINI PAINTING AND OTHER COOL STUFF

Post by Belladonna » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Silly!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

Corvus Kulde
Halloween Master

Post by Corvus Kulde » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Nice pic Bella. It makes me think of the moment of birth
Oh, your so cool, Brewster!
Hey, Butchy. They still got Oreo's next door?
Dracula's in the house!!! In the house?!
Welcome to the party, Honey!

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank you Corvus. :)
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 am

nicely done Bella
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 am

Bella, you poster kind of reminds me of a "zen", "into the light" kind of thing........I like it
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Corvus Kulde
Halloween Master

Post by Corvus Kulde » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Here's a picture I took. It seems tranquil to me.
Attachments
VARIOUS MAY 09 014.jpg
VARIOUS MAY 09 014.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 19951 times

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

Odd that you would describe your painting as feeling "warm and good", considering that blues and greens are generally considered cool colors. Green that has more yellow in it could be considered warmish, depending on the context, but in your painting the green that is present is dominated by blue, a definite pull towards the colder end of the spectrum. The light emanating from the center could also be seen as warming, except the light is whitish, again tinged with blue, and feels cold, like the light from a deep refrigerator, or a lantern submerged in a lake.

There appear to be beams of light emanating outward from the center with a natural regularity, but they are disturbed by two rather harsh lines running somewhat vertically, but without the comforting order brought by being parallel, and they themselves are bisected by a third line running roughly horizontally, but again, with a jarring lack of predictability.

Then there are the rings, which remind me of imprints burned onto the retinas by an overly bright light, an unpleasant experience which makes the light in your painting seem not comforting, but harsh and confrontational. The light at the center is not inviting. It isn't somewhere I want to be, but the alternative, outside the light, is a scarier option; dark shapes haunt the corners and edges of the painting.

The Japanese characters say to me "confusion"; the confusion of an unknown language. Who left the message? What does it say? You say it means spirit, but is that reverential or ominous?

I'm with Nevermore. That is a spooky painting.

What is your picture of, Corvus? It appears to be some sort of glass, but it reminds me of the birth canal. It also has a floral aspect to it.... but then, those two ideas are traditionally linked in art, aren't they....

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks all, for the comments! :)

Mac, I have had so many people say just that when they look at that painting.
To me it always feels like a cold place until I look into it and see that light. My Dad was on my mind when I painted that. He has passed on and I think he took shape there in the center of that. That is why it feels warm to me. But I do understand your perceptions of it.
Thank you!

I like the picture, Corvus.

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:47 am

I know the sympathies of a stranger can't help but be useless; nonetheless, I'm still very sorry for your loss.

As we said, the greatest thing about abstract art is that interpretations of the piece tend to say less about the work itself than they do about the viewer. I think the fact that you see the light in your painting as warm and comforting is more than a good thing; it is an important thing. And in whatever reality of existence your father remains, be it spiritual guardian or in memory only, I'm sure he is very proud of every brushstroke you made, and all the ones yet to come.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 pm

and i'm really ANXIOUS to see more :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 pm

MacPhantom wrote:I know the sympathies of a stranger can't help but be useless; nonetheless, I'm still very sorry for your loss.
You know Mac, I used to think that too until MY dad passed away, I never knew how comforting it was to have someone say "I'm sorry for your loss" until then.....at least for me anyway
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:39 am

Mac, thank you soo much for that. I don't consider you a stranger, I consider you a friend.
That really means a lot to me, thanks again! :)

And you are right Spooky, it does make a difference.

Thank you, Adrian. :)

Corvus Kulde
Halloween Master

Post by Corvus Kulde » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:36 pm

MacPhantom wrote:Odd that you would describe your painting as feeling "warm and good", considering that blues and greens are generally considered cool colors. Green that has more yellow in it could be considered warmish, depending on the context, but in your painting the green that is present is dominated by blue, a definite pull towards the colder end of the spectrum. The light emanating from the center could also be seen as warming, except the light is whitish, again tinged with blue, and feels cold, like the light from a deep refrigerator, or a lantern submerged in a lake.

There appear to be beams of light emanating outward from the center with a natural regularity, but they are disturbed by two rather harsh lines running somewhat vertically, but without the comforting order brought by being parallel, and they themselves are bisected by a third line running roughly horizontally, but again, with a jarring lack of predictability.

Then there are the rings, which remind me of imprints burned onto the retinas by an overly bright light, an unpleasant experience which makes the light in your painting seem not comforting, but harsh and confrontational. The light at the center is not inviting. It isn't somewhere I want to be, but the alternative, outside the light, is a scarier option; dark shapes haunt the corners and edges of the painting.

The Japanese characters say to me "confusion"; the confusion of an unknown language. Who left the message? What does it say? You say it means spirit, but is that reverential or ominous?

I'm with Nevermore. That is a spooky painting.

What is your picture of, Corvus? It appears to be some sort of glass, but it reminds me of the birth canal. It also has a floral aspect to it.... but then, those two ideas are traditionally linked in art, aren't they....
This is a picture of a broken stained glass candle holder from above. Interesting interpretation.