Halloween 2011 - Monday

Are you having a Halloween Party? Discuss ideas here!
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Halloween 2011 - Monday

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 am

OK, I understand your point. I'm just afraid that if they make Halloween "official," they will move it to a Monday and start telling all of us when we can TOT. In my part of the country, there are no regulations about that, although you say there are where you live.

The only February holiday with any traditions is Valentine's Day, I think, and that one's not "official," either. Some of this stuff is just cultural. People are going to celebrate whether or not the government says so.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween 2011 - Monday

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:32 pm

That's quite right. People are allways going to observe both Halloween and Valentines Day simply because it's part of their culture, but making Halloween an "official" recognized national holiday does not necessarily mean that they will allways observe it on a Monday. Veterans Day, for instance is allways on the 11th of November, and Christmas is allways on the 25th of December, and Independence Day is allways on July 4th. For that reason, and because of the cultural connection to Halloween, it would very likely allways be observed on October 31st. The reason why days like Presidents Day, or Memorial Day, or Labor Day are allways on certain mondays is because they were planned that way to begin with. Halloween will allways be October 31st.

As for government regulation, most of the Halloween traditions like ToT, and public parties are pretty much regulated by local governments. The U S and even the state of Illinois has no laws regarding any of the observed Halloween traditions. But you do have a good point about govermnent regulation. I would hate it if the feds, decided to regulate Halloween traditions because they decided to make it official.

Mike