Halloween 2011 - Monday

Are you having a Halloween Party? Discuss ideas here!
Aussiehalloweenlover
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween 2011 - Monday

Post by Aussiehalloweenlover » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is Halloween etiquette around the day that Halloween is celebrated? This year Halloween falls on a Monday and I was wondering if it's OK for the kids to trick and treat on the Sunday if the neighbours have enough warning?

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Halloween 2011 - Monday

Post by witchy » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Around here, Missouri, the kids only Trick or Treat on Halloween day, what ever day that may land on, some times the churches do a Trick or Trunking thing, and that is on Sunday sometimes. Hope this helps!!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm

I don't really think there's an "ettiquette" per se. As discussed on an other thread, I would like it if ToTers would come to my door in a costume to honor the Halloween tradition, and the town or municipality where you live may have ordinances about ToT or a time limit, but other then that, it's usualy done for the most part on the actual day Halloween falls on. Unfortunately when Halloween is on a weekday, it's a school day/work day, as well as a school/work night, so a lot of people have limited time to enjoy it. I take off two days for Halloween when it's on a week day, but a lot of people, especialy school aged kids, can't do that.

Mike

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Aussiehalloweenlover wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is Halloween etiquette around the day that Halloween is celebrated? This year Halloween falls on a Monday and I was wondering if it's OK for the kids to trick and treat on the Sunday if the neighbours have enough warning?
I've heard of some neighborhoods that have kids trick-or-treat on the weekends in lieu of October 31st, so it can be done. Issues I've heard in doing this are:
* Getting the word out to all neighbors.
* Having kids who didn't get the memo or who want double-candy show up on both the neighborhood ToT night as well as Halloween night.
* It annoys the hard-core Halloween fans who insist on it being the 31st or nothing!

You might consider getting your neighborhood together for some sort of Halloween/Harvest festival, so if some of the kids aren't allowed out on a school night they can attend a party of sorts. Then, be ready to pass out candy at your door as well.

Re-reading your post, it looks like it's just your kids who will be going out to ToT on Sunday? In that case, it's just your kids and it would be up to your neighbors whether or not they decide to hand out candy. Advance notice would probably cause less shock and grumbles than just showing up on doorsteps the evening before Halloween. If Monday is a big issue, try asking a few neighbors if that would be okay. Make sure to tell them why Monday just won't work.... and be prepared to be told "tough tootsies".

Aussiehalloweenlover
Ghost

Post by Aussiehalloweenlover » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. It has been really helpful. In Australia a lot of Aussies see Halloween as an American tradition and just don't go for it.. :x I normally warn my neighbours - and after many years they are used to it, but I would say that very few in the area celebrate which is sad as the kids love it. :D

metallica_87
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by metallica_87 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:40 pm

No, there's no real etiquette, however its IS tradition that that trick or treating happens Halloween (October 31st), or it defeats the whole purpose of the holiday itself. Like opening christmas presents as week early. I really do not see what the problem is though. Most likely the schools will have halloween themed celebrations for the Elementary kids, and they can go after they get home earlier in the afternoon. Or, and I've seen this done, and was always done for me, my parent simply kept me home Halloween and November 1st if Halloween was on a week day. Not that time was ever a problem for me as a kid, having to go out early or anything, but it was just sort of a cool little break for me as I was always ahead of everyone in my class work wise. Most likely, if its just friends and close neighbors that you might be friends with, than sure, with alittle warning, then sure go ahead. Just don't expect everyone else to be ready a day early, as they won't be, and you'll be robbing your kids of an invaluable experience that would enrich and deepen their love to continue and celebrate the holiday.

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Post by OctoberChill » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Aussiehalloweenlover wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments. It has been really helpful. In Australia a lot of Aussies see Halloween as an American tradition and just don't go for it.. :x I normally warn my neighbours - and after many years they are used to it, but I would say that very few in the area celebrate which is sad as the kids love it. :D
It saddens me to think that people don't celebrate it :(

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:06 pm

OctoberChill wrote:
Aussiehalloweenlover wrote:Thanks everyone for your comments. It has been really helpful. In Australia a lot of Aussies see Halloween as an American tradition and just don't go for it.. :x I normally warn my neighbours - and after many years they are used to it, but I would say that very few in the area celebrate which is sad as the kids love it. :D
It saddens me to think that people don't celebrate it :(
it bothers me a little that they dont celebrate it because they think it's an American tradition....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Where I live (American South), the only exception to celebrating Halloween on the 31rst is when it falls on a Sunday. It is pretty common to have TOT on a Saturday when the 31rst falls on a Sunday, since Sunday is still considered a holy day in these parts (less so nowadays, though, as the last time it fell on a Sunday, no declaration was made about it, and everyone did TOT on Sunday). But to me it would frankly seem odd to switch the celebration from a Monday to a Sunday. It also wouldn't really alleviate the concerns about school/work, as everyone has to get up and go to school & work on Monday morning.

I had a blast TOTing as a kid, but I never had to miss school the next day about it. Neither have my own kids. Halloween is just more extended when it falls on a Friday or Saturday. Instead of going in at 8 or 9, people might stay out until 9 or 10, that's all.

I do think the reversal of seasons in Australia might make Halloween a little strange down there. For us it is a big, big deal that Halloween is an autumnal holiday. It has everything to do with the dying light. Maybe you all need to celebrate Beltane instead! Or Walpurgisnacht (is that the same thing as Beltane?).

Aussiehalloweenlover
Ghost

Post by Aussiehalloweenlover » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks again all for your comments. It is unfortunate that Australians do not generally celebrate Halloween as it's my most favourite holiday of the year. Each year there is more Halloween paraphernalia in the shops, but on the whole it's not celebrated. As you can imagine I am quite popular with friends at this time of the year as I religiously celebrate. Also correct regarding the seasons, although I look at Halloween as the start of our party season leading up to Christmas. Whilst we do not do Thanksgiving we do have the Melbourne Cup (horse racing) and warmer weather leading into Summer that starts on the 1st December. I think I will have to guage my friends to see when they would like to celebrate Halloween, as some of them need to travel, but either way I will have my own little celebration on Monday 31st. Thanks :P

Lillith
Halloween Master

Post by Lillith » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:30 am

I have an Aussie friend, and he is always lamenting the lack of Halloween spirit.
I told him to get his own tradition started. Put up some decor just inside, if he didn't want to look odd in public. But from what you posted, I guess some people do a little.

Welcome!! :)
Skin all bone-china white
O you were a vampire
And I may never see the light

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:47 pm

We Pumpkinheads really need our own country or state. Just haunt the whole place up so everyone is surrounded by Halloween cheer! Speaking of which, if we had our own little area, it could be like Cheers-where everyone knows your name 8)

No cranky scrooges allowed!

EstesCara
Zombie

Post by EstesCara » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:20 am

yes ,you said what i was worried about ,i just thout that it's a holiday !
happy days

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:24 am

The thing is, I think that enough people celebrate Halloween to more then justify making it a national holiday. When you think about it, there are a lot of days we do have as holidays that very few people actualy observe as holidays. Take Presidents Day, for instance, or Lincoln's Birthday. Seriously, how many people actualy celebrate Presidents Day or Lincolns Birthday. It's nice to get a day one can sleep in, but they're both Winter holidays, and most people "celebrate" them by sleeping late or catching up on some house cleaning project. I have yet to hear of any President's Day traditions or "Lingolns Birthday" traditions that are observed. Granted the are patriotic holidays, and some people may hand out a flag. Columbus Day is another one. My work place doesn't even observe Columbus Day any more.

Now we do get a lot of holidays, so I don't think we should add another one. What I do think is that we should replace Columbus Day, PResidents Day or Lincoln's Birthday, with Halloween as a national holiday. Close all the schools and all public ffices, and give everyone a chance to have a real celebration. After all, it is very much observed through out the U.S.

Mike

Aussiehalloweenlover
Ghost

Post by Aussiehalloweenlover » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Mike into that insight into your holidays. We are a bit the same here. We actually have a long weekend in June to celebrate the Queen's Birthday (which is in April). The funny thing about this is that the English don't even get this holiday. The only good thing about this long weekend was the fireworks which have now been banned from personal use. Unfortunately there is no way in hell that Australia would consider a public holiday for Halloween. One day I will get over to the US to see how you guys do it!! I might even stay for Christmas!