Really cool site

Chat about your costumes
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Really cool site

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:41 pm

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/

This site has Renaissance Clothing, Japanese samurai clothing, civil war attire, crusader armor and more! It's really expensive but it's cool to look at. Perfect for a costume or if you want to attend a Renaissance fair. Though I'd only recommend the swords and stuff to anyone over the age of 18. Most of the stuff there is just for show. If you really want to go all out with a realistic costume this is a good place to look if you can afford to invest in it; but keep in mind it's quite pricey! :lol:

I really like this shirt:

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-2 ... shirt.aspx
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Really cool site

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 am

That is a very neat site! I used to go to the Renaissance Fair here every year when my kids were younger. I would often see people in period costume there, and I always wondered if they made their clothes, or what. I bet some of them got their costumes from places like this!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

Would also come in handy if society collapses and we find ourselves in the Dark Ages again.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Needless to say, I would look great in the Spartan uniforms. I was even asked once to wear some, but when all the women saw my massive, rugged, chiseled physique, with my sweaty bulging and sinewy muscles....It dang near started a riot among all the girls who witnessed the scene. Many fainted with the vapors, others screamed and tore at me and tried to drag me away to their homes where I would no doubt be ravaged. It was all I could do to escape with my life. So it is now law in most states that I am prohibited from wearing this clothing in public, least I cause a break down in civil order!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:16 pm

One day I'd like to go to a renaissance fair. We sort of did one in sixth grade called a Medieval fair, but I don't think that counted. I'd like to go to a real one one day.

Haha, I really hope we never have to go back to the Dark ages.

Kolchak, not to mention that but I'm sure the Mrs. would move you from the garage to the dog house! :lol:

I think some medieval armor, Japanese samurai armor, or a pirate outfit would be pretty cool. Plus I think swords are awesome to be honest. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:09 am

Not sure where the closest RenFest is to your neck of the woods, Mau. We have a nice one here, in Triune (between Franklin & Murfreesboro, south of Nashville), every weekend in May. It sort of kicks off the summer for us. You could probably Google and find one. I bet they have them in VA, too. The Society for Creative Anachronism is often involved, as they are around here. Lots of Wiccans in that group, which puts off some folks. But I love the Renaissance Fair, especially at that time of year. It always reminds me Shakespeare's "green world," like Midsummer Night's Dream.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:17 pm

They've been having a Renaissance Festival here for years. We've gone a couple of times, but the funniest/weirdest/strangest was the time we went and saw a bunch of people dressed up like they were in Star Trek. They were walking pretending to have time traveled,and acting as if they were observing an ancient and primitive culture. All I could think was...Look at all the geeks! I don't think I'd seen that many adult virgins in one place, and one time in my life! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:35 am

:lol:

My husband doesn't like the Renaissance Fairs, either, but he would go with us back when they had one performer there, who called himself Johnny Phoenix. You can find some of his vids on YouTube. We really liked his act, very funny and unique, but then he had a falling out with the people who own the land where the fair happens, and he stopped performing there. Consequently my husband refused to go ever again.

They have the jousts at the one here in Triune, and that is amusing to watch if you've never seen it in person. Also, I love the music of that era--my husband and I used to sing it in Chamber Singers at Vandy, which is how we met, actually--and they always have troupes of early music performers there, which I enjoy.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Evidently there is a Virginia Renaissance Faire: http://www.varf.org/

:lol: Kolchak that's too hilarious.

I enjoy the culture of that era. There was so much magic and mystery in the Renaissance and in Medieval times. There was the castles, cathedrals, the knights in all of their clad armor, Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses, Ladies and Lords...along with tales of slaying dragons, jousting and more. I really love the swords and armor myself. My boyfriend also enjoys these things, and I think we'd both love to go and see a real castle one day. But for now I think a Renaissance faire would be fun.

Murf I think your husband has good reason not to go if he wanted to support someone he admired. But perhaps there are other Renfests you could go to.

They had a convention in Clifton Forge this year, and while I planned on going I ended up having to start back at my old job, and consequently I wasn't able to go. Most of the cool stuff seems to happen on Saturdays when we're both working.

I really think a Renaissance/Medieval theme would be fun to do at Halloween, especially if you implement some of the darker themes that were involved, like dungeons, curses, skeletons and other stuff. I'm not sure if they even celebrated Halloween back then; but I think the celts celebrated Samhain which is where Halloween got it's roots.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm

I haven't gone in a while, but I've been told that the one here is being over run with more of the fantasy people. People dressed up like fairies and trolls and Hobbit type characters. Don't know how it will affect things for the future but I'm sure some will be happy and others will be mad. I'm hoping they'll start really trying to chop each other up with swords, battle axes and so on. :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:57 am

Oh, I think Middle Ages/Renaissance would make a terrific theme for a Halloween haunt.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:53 pm

I admit I enjoy the fantasy/science fiction genres. When you think about it, I think horror has a hand in both genres, so the three of them are interconnected.

For example, things like witches, warlocks, werewolves and vampires are a thing of fantasy. Aliens, biologically altered mutants, modern zombie films, monsters that were gene spliced bio-engineered are also science fiction things.

The renaissance and medieval era were full of tales of such fantastical creatures; some of which may even date as far back as the Greek and Roman eras. Of course if you want to go for something realistic, you'd have to leave that stuff out.

I agree Murf. I usually just go with my standard theme. But if time and money permitted I think it would be fun to pull off.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:14 am

We have a Renaissance Fairs every year, me and the girls go, we dress up as well, the girls use to go as fairy's sometimes, I'm not sure where they fit in, but they love it!! :wink:

Mitchyboy
Ghost

Post by Mitchyboy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:04 pm

haha coolamundo