Need help with realistic Tin Man Costume

Chat about your costumes
Sagen
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

Need help with realistic Tin Man Costume

Post by Sagen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 am

I'm looking to make a tin man costume as close to authentic as I can get it.
For reference, These two pictures are what I want to look like;
ImageImage

I'm using 6" PVC pipes for the arms and legs, buying a couple funnels for the hat and nose, using a ribbon to tie the hat on and put studs on it, spraypaint the whole thing silver- I want to look real.

I would like to spout smoke as well, but that is a difficult part. My original idea involved a cup glued to the inside of the funnel, and when filled with dry ice and hot water, it would spout steam- But instead, I think it would be more realistic to fill the tip of the funnel with talcum powder and then use a small pipe leading down the back of my head, through my right sleeve and into a bubble concealed in my glove to blow air through the powder, making smoke.

I will be using silver spray paint for the main costume, along with silver facepaint for my face. I would like to rust the joints with a slight brownish-copper tinge, too, for a better look.

Lastly, I can't come up with what I should use for the chest/top of chest/shoulders/collar.

In all, I need help with three things; How to make the smoke from the funnel, How to make the rust appearance and what to make the chestpiece out of.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help!

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Re: Need help with realistic Tin Man Costume

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 pm

I first have to say that the Tin Man is my ULTIME FAVOURITE characture in the Wizard Of Oz :D :D :D I don't know of/seen anyone who has tried to tackel this costume so sorry that I don't have many ideas to help out, but I do have one for the body section. Would it be possible to take some kind of half inches sheet rubber/plastic or even a foamy (the kind people sleep on while camping) and use that as the main body? That way it will be cooler, lighter than metal, and also more flexable. Other than that the only thing I can think of is building the body sections out of aluminum sheeting then gluing padding on the edges.

Anyways, good luck! And please please please post pics when it's done! :)

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:02 pm

How to make the smoke from the funnel?
No idea... I like your thought about the white powder

How to make the rust appearance?
I'm not sure what you mean by "appearance"... as in it appears and disappears... or it's constantly there?

If you want something that's constantly there, I'd just distress it a little. There should be several articles on distressing or painting online. You may want to look into Steampunk culture when you search for distressing tips-- they do a lot of antiquing metals and things.

I'd just paint everything with chrome spraypaint and antique it with watered-down acrylic paints-- greens and bronzes-- and use a rag to make streaks. The more watered-down the lighter the "streak"... I'd practice on a similar surface to the one you intend to use just to get things working right.

If it's something you want to appear/disappear... maybe use glow-in-the-dark or black-light sensitive paint?....

What to make the chest-piece out of?
Cardboard or paperboard (not poster board) would be my suggestion-- it's flexible, but still sturdy. You could use little wooden buttons affixed with hot glue for the rivets down TinMan's front. It should also work for the caps on his "sleeves" and for the other hinges.

Just remember... The Tin Woodsman costume worn by Jack Haley was reportedly so stiff that he had to lean against a board to rest.

shanda
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by shanda » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Ok. Been thinking.
I would consider dryer venting and tubing from Home Depot. It comes in silver, it can be cut, it is light. You prob could find a piece that would make a perfect neck piece.
There is always silver fabric glued onto a foam or cardboard base.

The chest. How about a round kitchen trash can. You could paint it and cut an opening on the bottom for your head. It can be painted or covered.

Smoke out of your head. Hmmmm. Difficult, to say the least.
What about a small smoke bomb? They come in diff. colors. Even white. You could make a small cup in your "hat" to hold one. The only obsticle would be to add new ones.
Powder would work, but, you will end up messy after a time or two. Not to mention, a messy floor if you are indoors.

Good Luck!! I am sure whatever you decide to do will be fantastic!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

Christoph777
Vampire
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Christoph777 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:38 pm

If you're going to be the tinman you definately should carry an axe of some sort. One of the reasons why the tinman is one of my favorite characters from Wizard of Oz, along with the lion, is because he has the axe.

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:59 pm

Christoph777 wrote:If you're going to be the tinman you definately should carry an axe of some sort. One of the reasons why the tinman is one of my favorite characters from Wizard of Oz, along with the lion, is because he has the axe.
I was in Walmart yesterday and they carry very light, plastic axes for only $2...taking one and spray-painting it silver would be easy and simple :)

waleeed
Ghost

Post by waleeed » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:01 am

I would like to spout smoke as well, but that is a difficult part. My original idea involved a cup glued to the inside of the funnel, and when filled with dry ice and hot water, it would spout steam- But instead, I think it would be more realistic to fill the tip of the funnel with talcum powder and then use a small pipe leading down the back of my head, through my right sleeve and into a bubble concealed in my glove to blow air through the powder, making smoke.
waleeed