My PacMan costume

Chat about your costumes
Techy101
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: My PacMan costume

Post by Techy101 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 am

A little more work has been getting done. It’s all about finishing touches at this point. At the advice of someone on YouTube, I’ve painted the inside flat black and it’s made a world of difference. I’m working on putting black cloth inside the mouth frames. This is turning out to be a royal PITA, but it’s coming along nicely. The change in visibility when someone is looking into the suit has been phenomenal.

My friend, who will be wearing the ghost, has been helping with it. She’s gotten it painted and the eyes stenciled in. The inside is about 2/3 completed as far as painting it black, and I still need to install the hip belt.

PacMan has gotten dirty, so I’m thinking about putting another coat of Paint on to make it look nice and pretty again. It’s crunch time now, and things are also busy with the rest of life. But we will make in time!

Working on the stencil for the squiggles on the bottom of the ghost

PacMan partially painted inside

Working on gluing the fabric into the mouth sections

Spray Painting the inside of the Ghost black

The ghost painted

We’re trying for one side being blue with the face when the ghosts can be eaten.

And the piece of cardboard we used as a backing for painting the squiggles. We're going to frame and sell it as modern art :huh:

Techy101
Zombie

Post by Techy101 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:55 am

Today saw some more work done. I only have a crappy cell phone picture right now, but I'll have better ones soon. The eyes are all done on both sides, insides are all painted black, the red screen on the front of the Ghost has been replaced with the same black stuff that makes PacMan's mouth. This happened after a small accident with a piece of cardboard and the costume.....

Pacman also got another coat of paint on the middle and one side. Tomorrow it'll get a second coat on the other too. It's been getting very dirty through the continuing work, so I want it to look good again.

Ghost when it can be eaten...

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 am

Great job!

Better hope no one shows up in a Donkey Kong costume and drops a barrel on you.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Techy101
Zombie

Post by Techy101 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 am

I'm officially done!

I realize that the order is reversed. I was in a rush.

St3rling Silv3r
Ghost

Post by St3rling Silv3r » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Wow, this is so original!!!! I saw it in action and it's fantastic! You are very creative and very crafty, excellent job!!!!! :cyclopsani:

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 pm

very cool, I hope you have a good time with them!!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Ghoul of the Graves
Halloween Master

Post by Ghoul of the Graves » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:10 am

Wow, your Pacman and Ghost costumes are absolutely spectacular! :shock: Amazing job!
Please report all offensive posts to the Mods!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 am

This must have been the year for old video game costumes?

Mario costume with built-in sound effects

Techy101
Zombie

Post by Techy101 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey everyone, please follow the link and vote for my costume on Instructables. It just requires a quick registration. The link is for my instructable page on the costume. Also, if you liked the costume please pass this on to help me get more votes.

Thanks,
Matthew

http://www.instructables.com/id/Giant-P ... ing-Mouth/

Techy101
Zombie

Post by Techy101 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:55 pm

A small update; I've been thinking about doing a new big costume this year, but I feel like I should get at least two years out of the PacMan and Ghost since I spent so much time/money on them. I figure that they're due for some kind of update though, so I'm planning on adding EL wire to them so they'll "glow" in the dark. For those of you not familiar with electroluminescent wire, here are a couple of pictures:

I'm not sure if I'll only do PacMan or if I'll do both, it depends on cost. I've got to do a little bit of calculating and such to figure out how much wire I'll need, and how many/which inverters I'll need as well as batteries to power it all. Here is a really quick and dirty MS Paint example of my thoughts. Of course the other side of the ghost would be outlined in blue, or I've also thought about running red and blue on the entire thing and being able to switch between them. That will all depend on cost. For PacMan's mouth, the wire will be running on the inner mouth frame, not the main external frame. That way when the mouth opens/closes the glowing wire will move with it. The only issue that I might have in clearance since the tolerance in the mechanism is pretty tight. Depending on the inverter/driver that I find, I'm also thinking about making it be able to blink with music.

The other modification that I'm thinking about for this year is installing a door of sorts on each side of both costumes so that there's a way to get your hand out for drinks, etc... I've also given some thought to installing some sort of cup holder inside both costumes, but we'll see how the rest of it goes. This year I'll be renting a truck from Penske, U-Haul, etc... instead of trying to fit them in the bed of a pickup truck and having them fly off the back and almost go rolling down the highway.

My hope is to get out to downtown in time for one of the news broadcasts. One of the stations has glass windows behind the news desk that look out on the street and we'd go back and forth behind there during the broadcast :rolleyes: The thing I'd like to do is keep track of which bars/clubs are offering the best costume prizes and hit them up instead of doing my usual Rocky Horror thing. Each year you hear ads for big cash prizes, trips to Mexico, etc... and I think that these have a real chance at winning something. It will suck being crammed in with that many people, but totally worth it if we can win.

Anyway, that's my update. Do people have any thoughts/suggestions on the EL wire idea?

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:32 pm

That costume is super-amazing!

How much does EL wire cost per foot? Where do you get it? Is it complex to rig up?

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:12 pm

I <3 Pac-Man and your costume. The EL wire will look cool provided you are going to be places where it is going to be dark.

JennyS
Ghost

Post by JennyS » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 am

Wow this pacman costume is looking awesome...