All about face paint please comment

Chat about your costumes
jokester
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 10992

All about face paint please comment

Post by jokester » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 am

Hey there everone I was thinking about doing a evil jack o lantern face paint design for Halloween, but there aren't many that I've found on the internet, does anyone know where I could find more designs? Please feel free to comment, and help please.

Castle
Halloween Master

Re: All about face paint please comment

Post by Castle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:38 pm

That's a good question, we don't talk about facepaint on here very often.
I'm gonna be this guy.
I kinda need advice on what type of facepaint to get, what types won't bleed out when I sweat and what kinds will let my skin breathe. Maybe we can get two birds with one stone on this thread.
"He didn't just eat their bodies, he ate their souls."

jokester
Ghost

Post by jokester » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Yeah maybe just have all this thread just of people getting advise for face piant word, also so you know they sell a type of white cream face paint that comes in a squeeze tube that might be something to look into as a tip.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:29 am

I used a green cream on my face last year to portray Elphaba (from Wicked, you know). I got it at Kroger's in the Halloween section. There are lots of face-painting kits out there around Halloween. I didn't have any problem with my green stuff running for the one evening I wore it. I needed cold cream and lots of tissues to take it off.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:39 am

I'm not much of a wizard with the face paint (that's my sister's area), but I just googled both 'Halloween face painting ideas' and 'jack-o-lantern face paint' and clicked on images and there is a ton of cool stuff out there. I'm not sure if any of them had any how-tos to go along with the images (I just browsed. Didn't click on any of them), but if you are one of those gifted people who can create awesomeness just by looking at a photo, I think you should be set for inspiration :)

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:22 pm

For the most part, I steer clear of face paint. There are three options I recommend for large-area makeup.

1. Greasepaint - One of the oldest methods. This is your standard "old school" theatre makeup. It comes in virtually every color imaginable. It goes on with a makeup sponge and tends to resist running with sweat. It can be set with powder or fixative/sealing spray. If you want details, you can layer with brushes or eyeliner pencils. Also, other makeup like lipstick, eyeshadow, etc. can be applied over it. Depending on the size you get (small cup or pancake), the price runs from about $2.99 to $11.99 and this stuff stretches pretty far. For our Oz Festival character group, a pancake lasts the Tin Man about 3 years.

2. Colored hairspray - Sounds crazy but it works. This is especially effective for hands. It dries quickly and stays. It won't rub off easily and it is pretty sweat resistant. You will need someone to help apply to your face and you have to use something else around your eyes. Comes off with soap and water. At about $1.99 a can at Walmart, this is one of the most cost effective ways you can go.

3. High Quality Theatrical Make Up - For the <deleted> individual. When I was Elphaba, I went all out and bought MAC Cosmetic's Chromacake (in Landscape Green). For those who don't know, this is what is used in the Broadway production and National Tour of WICKED. It costs about $24.99 per pancake, but it can do 50+ applications of face, neck, and hands. This makeup is pretty much a pigment cream and you use water and paint brush to apply. It's more less watercolor paint for your skin. Once it dries, it's pretty durable. It doesn't rub off and it's pretty darn comfortable. After about 15 minutes it didn't feel like I was wearing makeup.
"Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!"

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Good topic! ... and great advice Phantom! I especially love the tip on using that colored hairspray to paint hands. I've heard it's not a good idea to paint hands, but I'm interested in seeing how the hairspray works. =)

I'm dreading my husband's theme for 2012 because it requires face paint and I'm dreadfully allergic to makeup... but the theme requires it. (I'd divulge it, but I'm sworn to secrecy 'till we get closer to 2012.) I'm kinda wondering which of those options are good for people with nasty allergies... though, by then, I may well be taking allergy shots so it might not be an issue.

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:20 pm

I know that most of MAC Cosmetics' products are hypoallergenic and water-based. The colored hairspray should also be less likely to upset your allergies so long as you're not allergic to standard aerosol hairspray.

I'd suggest trying a small patch of each on your inner elbow or the back of your hand. If you live near a MAC, you can actually go into the store and try out a tester, browse the store for about 30 minutes and see if you have any reaction.

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:54 pm

The hairspray option sounds the easiest seeing how I have to have paint from my upper chest to my forehead, but I'd rather not be inhaling hairspray fumes all night. I'll look into the first option.

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:58 pm

Castle wrote:The hairspray option sounds the easiest seeing how I have to have paint from my upper chest to my forehead, but I'd rather not be inhaling hairspray fumes all night. I'll look into the first option.
Once it dries, it is essentially fumeless. Our Wicked Witch has worn it for up to 10 hours without any issues.

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Wow, that's strange. I remember as a kid still being able to smell my mom's hairspray even a few hours after it had dried. Maybe this stuff is a little different. I'll take a look.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Castle wrote:The hairspray option sounds the easiest seeing how I have to have paint from my upper chest to my forehead, but I'd rather not be inhaling hairspray fumes all night. I'll look into the first option.
Doubly dangerous if you are a smoker. :shock:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

It won't do any good because some people do have allegric reaction with face paint, also some people get sweating the paint will fade away from face plus it can burn the eyes. :?

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Castle wrote:Wow, that's strange. I remember as a kid still being able to smell my mom's hairspray even a few hours after it had dried. Maybe this stuff is a little different. I'll take a look.
*Shrug* Nearest I can figure is that there are less chemicals. Just aerosol and pigment, where as hairspray has a <deleted> ton of, well, for lack of a better term, adhesive in it.

Castle
Halloween Master

Post by Castle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Andybev01 wrote:
Doubly dangerous if you are a smoker. :shock:
I am a smoker, but to see a guy in costume looking like the picture I posted up yonder smoking a cigarette with a whiskey bottle in hand would be too awesome to pass up.