Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO BE FOR HALLOWEEN 2012

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:02 am

jadewik wrote:Wheeeeeeee!

Just bought fabric for the majority of my 2012 costume this weekend! Yays! I did find a pattern for cheap-- it's not a 1920's or 1930's, but a 40's pattern. http://www.simplicity.com/p-1976-misses ... swear.aspx

So, we'll do sorta a gangster/PI type dealie-o.... Bwahaha! It's gonna be awesome!
What a cool idea! Love the pattern!

Horror
Ghost

Post by Horror » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 am

I wanna try to make Altair robes from Assassins Creed by myself. Any advice on that will save a lot of time, effort, nerves, money of mine. and of course, if I succeed, I'll post a pic of me being an assassin lol :D

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Horror wrote:I wanna try to make Altair robes from Assassins Creed by myself. Any advice on that will save a lot of time, effort, nerves, money of mine. and of course, if I succeed, I'll post a pic of me being an assassin lol :D
If I were you, I'd check out cosplay websites-- I found a forum that seemed to have some good resources and pretty neat-o designs here:
http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217

This thread in particular seems to have some good links for tips:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=259294

For those unfamiliar with the term "cosplay"-- it's where people try to make accurate costumes for characters from their favorite media. There's a HUGE competition at San Diego International Comic Convention (SDICC) every year... and some impressive costumes that are the result of that competition. I only know about cosplay because I follow an artist/animator, Aimee Major Steinberger, who is heavily into cosplay and I love her costumes-- she recently did a Rapunzel (from Tangled) costume that's gorgeous. Her cosplay group has won several awards at SDICC.

While such an event does sound like a geek-fest, it's actually media of all sorts that are covered at the convention-- from famous authors, artists, TV stars, movie stars. They show previews of what's coming out before that information is released to the public. They also have workshops, where you can get tips on writing or drawing. You can get autographs from favorite stars. Yadda Yadda. I went in 2006 and had a lot of fun.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Probably Nostradamus because it's 2012.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Comic-Con is actually pretty well known, Jadewik. I mean, I've heard about it many times. I guess people who keep up with pop culture know about it. I had heard about the costumes, but I didn't know there was a competition, and I'd never heard that term "cosplay." Those links do offer a wealth of info.

I have no idea yet what I might wish to be for Halloween 2012.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Heck, the Comic-con masquerade is an excellent place to see unusual and elaborate costumes. The trick is... getting in. Every year the convention gets more crowded and there's only so much room in the ballroom. They do set up video screens in the sail pavilion though. I've attended but have been unable to get any decent pictures because of no flash photography. I have been able to get pictures of some good costumes while walking the floor. I'll post some in the Comic-con thread.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:59 pm

OK. I really need to start working on a costume like this...

http://io9.com/5888120/this-t+rex-skele ... ely-insane

Nah... too lazy.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Horror
Ghost

Post by Horror » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:02 am

jadewik wrote:
Horror wrote:I wanna try to make Altair robes from Assassins Creed by myself. Any advice on that will save a lot of time, effort, nerves, money of mine. and of course, if I succeed, I'll post a pic of me being an assassin lol :D
If I were you, I'd check out cosplay websites-- I found a forum that seemed to have some good resources and pretty neat-o designs here:
http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217

This thread in particular seems to have some good links for tips:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=259294

For those unfamiliar with the term "cosplay"-- it's where people try to make accurate costumes for characters from their favorite media. There's a HUGE competition at San Diego International Comic Convention (SDICC) every year... and some impressive costumes that are the result of that competition. I only know about cosplay because I follow an artist/animator, Aimee Major Steinberger, who is heavily into cosplay and I love her costumes-- she recently did a Rapunzel (from Tangled) costume that's gorgeous. Her cosplay group has won several awards at SDICC.

While such an event does sound like a geek-fest, it's actually media of all sorts that are covered at the convention-- from famous authors, artists, TV stars, movie stars. They show previews of what's coming out before that information is released to the public. They also have workshops, where you can get tips on writing or drawing. You can get autographs from favorite stars. Yadda Yadda. I went in 2006 and had a lot of fun.
Thanks a lot. You`ve made my holiday :D

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Horror wrote:Thanks a lot. You`ve made my holiday :D
Fantastic! If you can, I'd love to see photos of your costume as you work on it and I absolutely would LOVE to see the finished costume. =)

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm

I don't know really. I have everything except a good mask and hat for a witch, I just kind of hate wearing sweaty masks. Might just buy a hat and paint my face green. Something simple since I'm going to be a lot broker this year.
Be afraid....be very afraid!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

I haven't worn a mask since I was a kid. I dislike them--too hot, as you say. I much prefer make-up. There's so much you can do with it.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm thinking day of the dead costume maybe? What do you think?

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

witchy wrote:I'm thinking day of the dead costume maybe? What do you think?
I like it :)

I think I'm just going to do what I did last year--Skeleton bones shirt and skeleton bones arm warmers. I'm hoping my niece will go as a skeleton too. Between that and my sister and neighbors dogs being in skeleton costumes, I think we can have a proper gang :lol:

I don't really dress up much since I'll be focused on the yard haunt. I may accompany the little one around the block though.

zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master

Post by zoltan hound dracula » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
witchy wrote:I'm thinking day of the dead costume maybe? What do you think?
I like it :)

I think I'm just going to do what I did last year--Skeleton bones shirt and skeleton bones arm warmers. I'm hoping my niece will go as a skeleton too. Between that and my sister and neighbors dogs being in skeleton costumes, I think we can have a proper gang :lol:

I don't really dress up much since I'll be focused on the yard haunt. I may accompany the little one around the block though.
HEY PUMPKIN56,I DID THE SKELETON LAST YEAR,ITS REALLY COOL 8)

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm

I was thinking something like this:

272327108687074193_lIGNKEd4_b.jpg
272327108687074193_lIGNKEd4_b.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 16214 times
Or this:

109353097171955076_UhrjPaBM_b.jpg
109353097171955076_UhrjPaBM_b.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 16214 times