Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

HEY!! WHY DON'T WE START A HALLOWEEN MOVIE DISCUSSION CLUB??

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi Folks:

Things have been a bit dead for a while here, but I notice that it picked up a little in the "Halloween General" message board, but I started thinking, and came up with a crazy idea of having a place where we can come and discuss a horror movie right after viewing it online. The way it would work is someone would suggest a title, or pick a title at random. Than at an agreed upon exact time, we all go to that site that's showing that movie, watch the film, then post our thoughts here.

What do you all think?

Mike

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Re: HEY!! WHY DON'T WE START A HALLOWEEN MOVIE DISCUSSION CLUB??

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:03 pm

I like the idea of a Halloween movie discussion club, and I'm definitely in, but I think one issue would be getting everyone to match up their schedules to watch the movie at the same time, and depending on where you are, if someone was in California for example, the time zones would be a issue.

I think that after we choose what movie to watch it would be better if everyone watches it at their convenience and then post their thoughts on it when they can. I know it's not the same thing like the movie night that you're proposing, but it could still be fun for people here.

We can wait to check if anyone else will join in, and since this is your idea you should choose what movie we watch.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:37 pm

I'd say watch and post within a week.

It might make it easier to find and watch the movie, but still be current enough to make your critique current.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm in, lol!!
Witch-of-the-west.jpg
Witch-of-the-west.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 6148 times

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:11 pm

That's a good point, Headlesshorseman. Here is what we can do instead. How about we pick the last day of the month, but we keep it flexible so more people can participate. We can also include tv shows and books. It doesn't have to just be movies, and it doesn't have to be online only. It can be the movie theatre or DVDs or anything.

Mike.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:23 pm

That sounds good Mike, at the end of this month there are 2 movies coming out that most people here will probably want to watch, on the 27th is the new Munsters movie, and on the 30th will be Hocus Pocus 2. So we can start with one or both movies, unless someone has another suggestion.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:29 am

Those are both solid choices!

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:16 pm

Love it!

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:05 am

Well, I just watched the new Munsters movie, and to say that it sucked is a understatement. I'm going to give a honest review about the movie, but there will not be any spoilers for the plot... if you can say there was a plot.

I wasn't expecting much going into this movie because I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie's movies, I like his music but he always uses the same white trash formula in every movie he does, though surprisingly that wasn't the case with this movie. Another thing he always does is cast his wife in his movies, and her portrayal of Lily came across like a kid trying to impersonate what they saw on screen, I don't know if that was intentional or not but either way it shows just how terrible she is at acting.

The guys playing Herman and Grandpa were just bad, but I don't know if you can really blame them because they didn't write or direct the movie, they are just actors that went out there and did what they were told to do. The rest of the actors don't do much better, and there is also a Sonny and Cher scene that will make you cringe.

I would say that there were a few things I liked in the movie, as there were a few tributes to the original show, and a few cameos as well, I liked that they included uncle Gilbert, and both Butch Patrick and Pat Priest had voice over roles, but if I'm being honest, I think it was insulting to them. I mean seriously, if you are going to ask them to be a part of this, why wouldn't you give them a on screen appearance in the movie?

The movie was just boring, with no real story and at almost 2hrs, you will find yourself thinking about other things while watching it, now I know why they didn't release this movie in theaters. In my opinion this is the worst version of the Munsters they have ever made, It makes the 90's made for tv movies Here Come the Munsters and The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas look like classics.

Anyway, I'll be back in a few days with a review of Hocus Pocus 2, hopefully that will be a better movie.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:24 am

Ouch.

Where is it streaming...so I can avoid clicking on it.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:25 pm

It's going to be on Netflix and DVD on the 27th, but it was leaked online on the 17th, though we didn't watch it until last night. If anyone wants to watch it early just send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

Don't get me wrong, while I stand by my review that this movie sucks, if you consider yourself a Munsters fan that has watched everything associated with the franchise, then I still recommend that you watch it... just to say you did.

I thought it was hard sitting through 3 seasons of The Munsters Today but at least that show actually tried, and it had some funny moments as well.

Speaking of Netflix, I just found out that the Wednesday Addams series will premiere in late Nov. instead of Oct. which makes no sense. I'm glad I didn't tell the kids about it yet or they would have been disappointed.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:38 pm

Okay, I watched it.

Did I love it?...no.

Do I hate it?...no.

With some heavy, HEAVY editing it would make an enjoyable 30 minute episode of the Munsters in the vein of the original.

It looks fantastic and the music is appropriate.

Daniel Roebuck nailed the Grandpa character both in spirit and style. His portrayal was an homage to Al Lewis' original that was,frankly, the best part of the movie.

Jeff Daniel Phillips resurrected the loveable, goofy rubber-faced Herman that Fred Gwynne created but his voice...dreadful.

It would be mean-spirited to any anything about the portrayal of Lily by 'actress' Sheri Moon Zombie other than she must have slept with the producer to get the part, and that nobody would blame Yvonne de Carlo from returning from the great beyond, to haunt Mrs. Zombie for the rest of her life.

The two surviving original Munsters cast members were given such short shrift as to be practically invisible, and I had the read the closing credits to find out where they appeared in the film.

A surprise cameo (who shall rename nameless, in case you actually want to watch this movie) by a Halloween legend was even more of a let down, but probably due to intellectual property issues.

To sum up, you could do worse by watching Rob Zombie's The Munsters, but if you skip it your life wouldn't be any less for it.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36 pm

It looks fantastic and the music is appropriate.
I didn't mind the look of the movie, the set decorations and backgrounds were good, but the driving scenes looked bad, they looked better in black and white like they were shown in the trailer. Most of the characters looked close enough to the classic show, but I don't know why they put uncle Gilbert in a blue coat.
A surprise cameo (who shall rename nameless, in case you actually want to watch this movie) by a Halloween legend was even more of a let down, but probably due to intellectual property issues.

If you're talking about a certain Mistress of the Dark, I agree.

I thought my review of the movie was rough, but I read some comments online, and watched some youtube reviews, and some people were just cold and downright vicious about it.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am

T -2 hours and 50 minutes...

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:35 am

It started 15 minutes early here on yhe west coast.

I think to make room for a 15 minute Walgreens commercial...