Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: HEY!! WHY DON'T WE START A HALLOWEEN MOVIE DISCUSSION CLUB??

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:07 am

Ever the optimist I once again think that this movie also could use a bit of editing and would make a decent 1 hour TV special.

It's like my love of Ghostbusters II, when it gets to the part when Liberty goes for her walk, I just turn it off and enjoy the time that we had spent together up to that point.
Attachments
Hocus Pocus 2
Hocus Pocus 2
20220929_235529-01.jpg (403.97 KiB) Viewed 6121 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:06 am

I just watched Hocus Pocus 2, and it was a good movie. As usual there will be no spoilers, just my thoughts on the movie.

We had fun watching this movie, and my kids absolutely loved it. I honestly don't have anything bad to say about it.

I thought that Midler, Parker, and Najimy were amazing and they still look great, and even though it's been 29 years since the first movie, they stepped right back into their roles like it was yesterday. It was also great that they brought back the same actor to play Billy, as he was one of my favorite characters in the original movie.

The new cast members were fine, but the Sandersons were in the spotlight for the movie, we even got some of their back story, as well as some good songs and comedy from them.

Most movie franchises with long awaited sequels usually disappoint the fans, like Independence Day 2, Bill and Ted 3, and don't even get me started on Ghostbusters 3, but this was a good movie that compliments the original, while still being it's own movie. I definitely recommend that you watch it, and stick around after the credits for a interesting scene.

Well Andy, it looks like you and I are the only members to show up for this club so far, shall we discuss what movies are up next?

This month there is going to be the Spirit Halloween movie on the 11th, and the last installment in the current Halloween movie franchise on the 14th.

Are you interested in any of those? Of course, I'm open to any suggestions you, or anyone else might have as well.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:04 am

I am looking forward to the Spirit movie.

If I'm going to watch a commercial disguised as a movie ( Walgreens...) at least it should be for stuff I want to buy.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:07 pm

We just watched Spirit Halloween: The Movie, there might be spoilers below so read at your own discretion.

This was a movie for kids, and probably not intended for kids older than 12. With that said, my kids liked it, though there were a few scenes that were scary for my youngest.

I thought the movie was fine, but the story was just stupid. For example, the only way the spirit could take over a living body was if the person was unconscious, and the way they go about doing that was just stupid, when it could have just waited until the kids fell asleep to do it, and there was even a scene before the spirit showed up where one of the kids was sleeping and his friends were putting makeup on him, so why didn't the spirit just do it then?

There was also a scene where one of the kids forgot their phone, so his sister had to bring it to him, the only reason that scene was even written was just to get the sister involved in the story. I don't know who wrote that scene but they clearly don't know anything about teens, as there is not a single teen in this world that would ever forget their phone, most of them practically have their phones glued to their hands.

Another stupid scene was at the end of the movie where the mother conveniently shows up to get them right after they leave the store, she then tells them she will give them a ride home but her kid says that he wants to walk home with his friends and she actually agrees to it. What kind of parenting is that? I don't know another parent out there that would do that, the other kids wanted the ride so there was no reason to even have that scene.

There were a few things I liked about it, I thought the scenery was good, the backgrounds and store were good, and there was a few things that made me laugh, but aside from that there wasn't anything to really make you stay interested. I said before that this was a movie for kids, so maybe I'm being rough on it, but it looks like it was actually written by kids as it was just a stupid movie.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:35 am

I just watched the last installment in the rebooted Halloween franchise. Before I give my very short review of this movie, I just want to say that I was not fan of this reboot from the beginning, this franchise has been rebooted 5 times since the first Halloween movie came out in 1978, and up until the Zombie reboot I was a fan of the franchise, but after he turned Michael Myers and his family into white trash hillbillies, I just stooped caring.

With this new reboot came some hope that they would correct the awful movies that came before and possibly rejuvenate the franchise, but what we got was a pathetic movie that erased the various things that made Myers a unique and mysterious character that we were a fan of. Yes, the second movie tried to make him more like he was before, but I think they should have done that in the first movie, as he came across as just some old guy in a mask.

Well, here's my review of Halloween 3, or whatever they called it. - This movie sucked, and I'm glad it's over. At least until they reboot the franchise again for the 50th anniversary in a few years. Remember kids, you heard it here first.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:20 am

Great reviews for Spirit and Halloween 800, or whatever they're up to by now.

I watched an Adam Sandler effort from a few years back, Hubie Halloween.

It was everything I have come to expect from the Sandler production machine: slow pacing, toilet humor, and a cast of name brand talent who must have needed the paycheck.

Very disappointing.

I was pleasantly surprised with the two Madea Halloween movies, Boo and Boo 2.

Tyler Perry does one thing very well, silly low-brow humor that comes right up to the edge of offensive, but doesn't cross the line...and I enjoyed both movies.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 pm

We liked the Boo movies, there were some funny moments in both of them, but I didn't like Hubie Halloween, it was basically the same character he played in The Waterboy but in a Halloween movie.

We just watched The Curse of Bridge Hollow, No spoilers, but I will say that we loved this movie. It was very funny, and it actually feels like a Halloween movie, which is something that has been missing from Halloween movies lately.

The scenery and decorations around the town were just beautiful, and the pumpkin truck was just awesome. Now I want to convert my pickup truck to look like that.

I would say that this is the best NEW Halloween movie I have watched this season so far, I liked it even more than Hocus Pocus 2, and I can honestly say that we will be adding this movie to our list of Halloween movies we watch every year. If you get a chance to watch it, you will like it.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:38 am

I don't know why Hollywood still thinks making reboots is a good thing, but I guess they can't come up with anything new. I wouldn't mind if they were good, but I haven't come across a good one yet, and I just watched 2 more that were terrible. No spoilers.

Jeepers Creepers: Reborn - The original franchise was good, part 1 was great and was a modern horror movie classic that was actually scary, part 2 sucked but part 3 had a good ending and they should have just continued from that. So I don't think that this movie franchise needed a reboot. This movie had a few interesting moments, but it feels like you're watching a high school film class make their own version of the movie, and the main character came across like some guy pretending to be him, instead of the terrifying creature from the original movies, which seems to be a common theme with these reboots.

Hellraiser - This movie was soooooooooooooooooooo boring. Please don't ever waste your time watching it, that is 2hrs of my life I can't ever get back. I should have just went to bed when my wife did.

I've also been rewatching the classic Universal Monsters movies, and I can honestly say that they are still better than most of the movies being made today.

I also watched Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein again, and there was a mistake that I didn't notice before. In the scene when Dracula is seducing Sandra, his reflection can be seen in the mirror. I don't know how they didn't catch that when they were making the movie.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:47 pm

I actually liked all of them except Hellraiser. I'm goofy like that! :wink:

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:01 pm

You're goofy in many ways, Witchy. :alien:

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:50 am

Well, even though the founder and President hasn't been here for a single meeting, I still intend to keep this club going.

As we get closer to Halloween, I've noticed that there aren't many interesting new movies coming out this year, So I was thinking that we could watch a classic movie for the first meeting, unless one of you wants to watch something newer, any suggestions?

The only new movies I saw recently were the new Haunted Mansion, and Haunting of the Queen Mary. I won't go into spoilers, but if anyone here watched them, we can start by discussing them if you're interested.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:44 am

I almost never see movies at the theater, but I do have an extensive collection at home. Recently I've been rewatching the TV series Grimm, a big favorite of mine. The earlier seasons were better, more whimsical, but I loved the ensemble cast all the way through.

I've also recently viewed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which I consider my gateway movie to the spooky season, even though it's set at Christmas, not Halloween.

The most recent horror movie I've bought is Nefarious, which I found pretty harrowing. But it's probably not for everyone. It has no jump scares snd no CGI, no make-up to speak of. Just two guys talking in a room for most of it, a psychiatrist who is an atheist, and a prisoner condemned to death who claims to be demon-possessed. The psychiatrist is trying to determine if the guy is really psychotic or just pretending to be, since it's against the law to execute a mentally ill person. Religious believers generally find this film scary, while those who are not religious find it preachy.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:05 am

Has anyone seen M3gan that was really good!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:41 am

No, but I have heard it was good.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:44 pm

Murfreesboro wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:41 am No, but I have heard it was good.
I loved it!