1993 ... the best year for Halloween movies?

Halloween and Horror Movies
TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

1993 ... the best year for Halloween movies?

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:16 pm

1993 was a great year for Halloween movies, and it's hard to believe that it's been 30 years since we got movies such as The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, and the animated movie The Halloween Tree. These movies have become classics that as a tradition we have watched every year since they came out.

That year we also got movies like Addams Family Values, the first Leprechaun movie, and even Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday, and while that movie is really awful it does hold a special spot for me.

Last year we got Hocus Pocus 2, the sequel fans had been waiting almost 30 years for, and I think it was a good movie that compliments the original. I also just found out that they are making Hocus Pocus 3, so it looks like we will get another story with our favorite witches.

How about any of you? Do you plan to watch any of these movies this year for the 30th anniversary? Are there any other Halloween or horror movies from 1993 that you like?

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: 1993 ... the best year for Halloween movies?

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:47 am

I watch both Addams family movies regularly. The summer camp sequences are some of the best comedy ever.

"I'll be the victim!"

"...your whole life."
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:41 pm

Oh, Hocus Pocus and Nightmare before Christmas are always in the rotation. Hocus Pocus is actually my favorite Halloween movie, because it is good for the whole family, being only slightly scary for little ones, and has gorgeous Halloween iconography. Surprisingly, I always tear up at the end, so I guess for me, it has heart, too.

I have an ongoing debate with my second son about whether NbC is a Halloween or Christmas movie. I vote for Halloween, and I have both a Jack Skellington and a Zero on display on the big night.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 pm

Andy - My favorite summer camp scene was when the kid is in the cabin and he turns around and he screams at the Michael Jackson poster, that was just hilarious.

Murfreesboro - I think that NBC is both a Halloween and Christmas movie, as it can be watched on both holidays, but I will say that I think it is mainly a Halloween movie because it starts out in Halloween Town and nobody knew what Christmas was until Jack stumbled into the woods and found out about Christmas. My wife and I dressed as Jack and Sally for Halloween, it was actually one of the first couples costumes we did.

Another movie that people debate about is Gremlins, some people say it isn't a Christmas movie, but a horror movie, I think it can be watched on both holidays, though we usually watch it at Christmas.