Halloween III Season of the witch

Halloween and Horror Movies
Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween III Season of the witch

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 am

This is an example of how a good story/movie can be ruined by its title.

It's a fun Halloween tale. Had it been named All Hallows Eve, Night of the masks, or simply Season of The Witch, anything really; fans might have given it a chance. Sure it would not be liked by all. Negative reviews would still exist. But I think much less if it had a different title because the majority of hard feelings comes from the film being attached to the same series as the much beloved movie maniac Michael Myers.

It has been said that John Carpenter's original intention was that each movie would be a different horror story centered around Halloween. But fans clamored for more Michael Myers, so the night the shape returned to Haddonfield continued into Halloween II. You would think at that point John Carpenter would understand that his Halloween series now belonged to Michael. Instead he tried to implement his original plan by making Halloween III be a different story centered around Halloween and Myers fans angrily never gave it a chance.

I personally cherish Halloween III as a movie I must watch every October. The master plan behind the silver shamrock company. The absolute evil behind killing millions of children in a hideous fashion as sacrifice. An unsuspecting hero drawn into the madness. As a film set apart from Michael's story, it's a fun tradition for me each year.

All I suggest is, when you watch it, think of it as a stand alone horror movie about Halloween; not the 3rd installment of THE Halloween saga.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween III Season of the witch

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks for the advice. I haven't watched that movie in decades. I should give it another shot.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Well I have to say that the first time I saw it, I didn't care to much for it, but it did grow on me over the years, so I do screen it every October when I screen all the "Halloween" movies which I have on Blue Ray.

It's a nice 'pop corn' flick that adds to the spirit of Halloween.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 am

Yay Halloween III! I love how it delves into the true origins of the holiday. I would have preferred we got more of this type of thing but instead we got more Michael Myers, and more, and more, and... sigh.

Here's hoping the new Trick r' Treat movie, if it ever comes, doesn't just rehash the first one. I would also like to see another installment of 'Tales of Halloween'.

I bought a DVD called 'Witching Season' last year but never got a chance to watch it. Yet another anthology based around Halloween. I've already started setting up my playlist, that's first in line for this year.

Too bad the John Carpenter anthology series was cancelled. I think that would have been your wish come true Nostalgiascape.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:31 pm

I recently purchased a copy of the original "Tales of Halloween," and all I got was an error message that said the regional code didn't match up. I haven't tried it in my computer yet, though. I'm waiting until I have a long enough HDMI cable to connect it to my projector.

Mike

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:08 pm

NeverMore, I agree. Yes it would have been awesome.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Mike, my husband found some code on line that converts some DVD players to region-free. I believe he says it is easiest to do with Phillips products. We can watch DVDs from anywhere with those machines. We have bought several from the UK, things that have never been releasef here, due to supposed lack of interest.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks for the tip, Murf. My DVD player is a Marantz, however, and the only way around my problem is to use my computer by hooking up through an HDMI cable to the DVD player or the projector. It will run on my computer, but I'm waiting until I can get a long enough HDMI cable to run it up in the ceiling tiles to my projector so I can screen it properly and play the audio back through my stereo system. My little computer screen and speakers are okay for news videos and the like but when it comes to the enjoyment of a movie or tv show, I prefer my projector and stereo.

Mike

BlueBird
Zombie

Post by BlueBird » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:36 pm

When I first saw it I was pretty disappointed, but after getting over the initial shock of Michael not being in it I've grown to really love it and watch it every Halloween

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:47 pm

I felt the same way about "Season of the Witch," BlueBird. The first time I screened "Season of the Witch," that comercial jingle drove me nuts, and I was disappointed in the story in general, but as time went on, it sort of grew on me. Don't forget, that "Halloween" was originally meant to be an anthology series films which featured different stories. They were not all supposed to be centered around the Michael Meyers character, but that's just how it worked out.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:39 pm

I didn't know that, Mike.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:53 pm

Well at any rate, Michael Meyers will be prominently featured here at my home this October, as will Jason and Freddy.

Mike