What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Hotel Transylvania Movie

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:09 am

I love monster house too! Of course, it's part of my collection! :wink:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 am

I also have "Monster House' in my DVD collection, as I do like it. My nieces and nephews also love it. I might even be asked to screen it when they come over for Trick or Treat.

Witchy, sad to say, there is a chance that the Harvest Moon drive-in may be closing it's gates for ever unless they can rais enough money to convert to digital projection systems. It is a sad note, because Drive-in movies are a major part of Americana, or at least they were a significant part of the land scape through out the 50s and 60s. The food at the concession stands at drive-ins is also better then at regular 'cynaplexes,' too. There use to be a drive-in in Joliet. "The Hill Top" it was called. I use to take my gf there back in the late 70s and early 80s. Not only did they screen some of the most popular movies, but they usualy would have a double feature for the same price as you would pay at a regular theatre for one film. It was a real bargain. To boot, the guy who ran the concession stand was a FABULOUS chef, who specialized in Chicago style hot dogs, and grilling. It was worth the price of an admission ticket, just to get one of those wonderfuly steamed hot dogs. He also made grilled half-pount hamgurgers and cheese burgers, and you could put your own condiments on it. They also had the tradional movie theatre fare such as pop corn, candy and the like. They had regular plain pop corn, buttered, cheddar chese and karmel corn, all freshly made. The food was as entertaining as the movies.

The place shut down when that concession stand operator passed away from a sudden heart attack. The management decided to hire some mediocre company who's food was comperable to what you would get in a high school or college cafeteria. They didn't even pop the pop corn fresh any more. They bought it in bulk already popped, and you had two choices. Plain or with butter. The "butter" tasted more like Crysco oil.

Like I said, they shut down shortly after.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:36 am

There is a drive-in in a near-by town that most of the teenagers like to visit. Young people seem to enjoy them quite a lot.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 am

Ha ha! I wonder why Murf. Possibly for the same reason we did?

It's sad to say that in a big metro area like San Diego I only know of two drive-ins still operating. The rest have become swap meets. I'm looking forward to the day that all cars have heads-up displays and you can watch drive-in style movies anywhere you park. They should problay disable full windshield displays while you're driving though, huh?

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:49 am

That is sad Mike!! :(

We have one and it seems to be going strong, it's always packed and they have great food and popcorn. :alien:

Murf our drive-inns has a wide arrange of people who go, why is it only your younger people that go, just curious? :?

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Murf, drive-in movies are known for the "hanky panky" that goes on between young couples in love. When you're in a private car, it's a lot easier to....uh......well you get the drift, then it is to do......uh......well......youget the drift in a regular theatre with the theatre seat arm rests in the way and aushers with flash lights patrolling the place.

The problem that most drive-in theatres are faced with is that the vast majority of them still operate 35mm motion picture projectors. Most of the ciniplexes have upgraded to digital projection systems. For that reason, Hollywood is doing all newer movies on digital format only, and not making it available on 35mm motion picture prints any more. That's the problem the Harvest Moon in Gibson City is facing. They have to upgrade to digital projection, to the tune of $150,000 or more, because as of 2013, there will be no more movie realeases on the 35mm motion picture format.

As for the Hilltop in Joliet, I was one of those teenagers 'hanky pankying' with my gf back in the day, but I also took my nieces and nephews there, and some times she would bring her younger siblings and I would bring my nieces and nephews and we would make a day of it. It was truely a great time, and food was 2nd to none. The place is still there but abandoned. Perhaps a 'haunted road trip' down 'Memmory Lane" is in order. I'll post pictures.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:06 pm

it's a lot easier to....uh......well you get the drift, then it is to do......uh......well......youget the drift in a regular theatre with the theatre seat arm rests in the way and aushers with flash lights patrolling the place.

You're too funny, pumpkin man! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks Rama. I was trying to keep my language censored as this is a family friendly site, but since drive in movies are all but extinct, I thougt it necessary to esplain why they were so popular with teenagers back in their hay day. Like I said, I got in on the tail end of the drive-in craze, and had my share of "fun" at them as well. Now a days, a drive-in movie theatre are great 'haunted road trip' destinations.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

I was born in the mid-50s, and drive-ins were still popular as family outings when I was a young child. The ones we went to even had playground equipment to the side of the screen, so bored or antsy little kids could play. No one fretted about child abduction in those days. I think drive-ins fell into disrepute as the children of the '50s became teenagers and started using them for "hanky-panky," as you say. It became disreputable to go to drive-ins when I was a teen & young adult.

When I taught in a college up in VA, my husband and I accompanied three or four of the students to a drive-in for a lark one night. The students wanted to go because to them it seemed nostalgic, a part of Americana they had heard about but never experienced (this was in the late '80s-early '90s). I honestly don't know how the young people I know now behave at a drive-in, but judging by what I know of the ones I am thinking of, I don't really think they are going that distance to make out. (The drive-in theater around here is in another town, a more rural town, than ours.) They can make out almost anywhere. I think they are going for the same reason my students did twenty years ago, because they think it's a neat thing to experience. Also, it's just something different to do.

I guess it's possible that the locals do attend the drive-in as family groups, etc. I have never gone there because there isn't much reason for me to go. I have been to drive-ins, and I can see a movie in my own town, or in my own living room, for that matter. The lure of the road trip, getting out of town for the sake of getting out of town, isn't as powerful for me as it is for the younger ones.

ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master

Post by ScarecrowJack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanx for posting this, Ramaries. I wasn't aware of this one, I'll have to check it out when it comes out. The last movie I saw in the theater was Avengers.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:09 pm

If all must fail
And all may
Watch Moster House this day
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master

Post by ScarecrowJack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:22 pm

I haven't watched Monster House yet, but I've heard good things about it. I may try to rent it.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Murf, there are basicaly 3 things that attract me to the drive-in. 1st and foremost, most if not all drive-ins are 'mom & pop" establishments, and when you do business with them, the money is being used to put a kid through college, ballet lessons, and general family living. I would rather go to a "mom & pop" place of business any day, because as a 'working stiff' myself, I know what it is to be up against it from time to time. Secondly, the experience and the quality is far better, and the price is a lot cheaper. The Harvest moon charges 6 dollars per person, and the food at the concession stand is more resonabley proced then you would find at a major chain restaurant. Additionaly, the quality is better and there's a much better veriety. At the Harvest moon, they actualy have 2 concession stands. You can get hot dogs, grilled hamburgers, grilled chese burgers, corn dogs, elephant ears, funnel cakes, and Pizza by the slice, or a whole pizza delivered to yoru car by the employees. Not is IS actualy Pizza Hut pizza, but name me one single major chane movie theatre that will do that, and have all those food choices. And those choices are in addition to the traditional movie fare of pop corn, candy and soda. Finaly, I love the open air freedom and fellowship that the Harvest Moon and other places like it has to offer. When I went to dee "Dark Shadows" last May, we all had a blast. I cranked my stereo when a song was playing, and even the employees got into the spirit of it.

So that's my major attraction to the Harvest Moon, and why I really want to see it remain in operation. Working stiffs keep their jobs, and I can still enjoy an outing that I really love, and would love to take my grand nieces and nephews to some day.

Mike

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:52 pm

You're welcome, scarecrowjack! You must see Monster House! :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm going to screen "Monster House" for the little ones on Halloween night after they get back from ToT. They can watch it while they roast weenies in my fire place. Of course, I'm going to be taing in "Monster House" and roasting weenies myself, as will my nephew, their father.

Mike