Night Stalker Coming to Big Screen

Halloween and Horror Movies
Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Night Stalker Coming to Big Screen

Post by Kolchak » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:05 pm

Johnny Depp is going to play Kolchak: The Night Stalker in an upcoming movie. Haven't been able to glean much info, but for obvious reasons I am looking forward to seeing my hero on the Big Screen!

Considering it was Night Stalker that sparked the imagination of Chris Carter to come up with the X-Files, It's about time Carl Kolchak be given his day on the big screen.

Trivia fact: In the book by Jeff Rice, Carl's real name was Karel Kolchak. He was of Romanian descent.

Too bad Darren McGavin and Simon Oakland couldn't live to see it.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: Night Stalker Coming to Big Screen

Post by NeverMore » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 am

Sorry... you simply can't beat the original.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 am

I liked Jonny Depp's version of Barnabas Collins. I wonder how he will do with Kolchak the Night Stalker. That should be an interesting movie.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Sorry... you simply can't beat the original.

Back in 1996 they came out with the original series on VHS and I grabbed them up so fast it would make your head spin.

Did the same when they came out in DVD. The original Night Stalker made for TV movie came out January 11, 1972. I was 12 years old and have seen it at least 100 times since then. It will ALWAYS be my personal all-time-favorite-monster movie.

But you REALLY need to read the book by Jeff Rice that the movie was based on too, if you consider yourself a TRUE Night Stalker fan. Easy read and well worth the time invested.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: I liked Jonny Depp's version of Barnabas Collins. I wonder how he will do with Kolchak the Night Stalker. That should be an interesting movie.

Mike
I'm a big Johnny Depp fan and am hoping the same thing!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 am

Some how, I really don't know about this one. His rendition of "Dark Shadows" was really a great comedy as well as a great horror story. It wasn't what I was use with "Dark Shadows," but it was a great movie. I wonder how Johnny Depp is going to handle the role of being a reporter who writes about accult events.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 am

I was in college & grad school in the '70s, so I didn't see a lot of TV and never saw Night Stalker. This sounds quite intriguing to me. I love Johnny Depp, too. His take on Dark Shadows for sure wasn't in the same tone as the original, but I also enjoyed it for what it was.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Murf, if you click on the link above you can watch them on YouTube. The only way I accept Depp in the role is if they take it in a different direction like they did with Dark Shadows.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:51 pm

I liked the take Johnny Depp did with Dark Shadows. It was meant to be funny and if you grew up in the 70s like I did, it was a trip down memory lane.

A few years back Ben Stiller and Own Wilson did their spoof on Starsky & Hutch. I liked it for the same reason I liked Johnny spoofing Dark Shadows.

There was a lot of campiness in the original TV series of the Night Stalker. You never really were supposed to take that seriously. I'm kind of hoping for this Night Stalker having a humorous tilt to it.

Considering what a great Job Johnny did as Hunter S. Thompson, its a good bet he can play the gonzo type of reporter Kolchak was too.

The Duchess
Haunt Master

Post by The Duchess » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:20 am

It will be almost impossible to replace Darren McGavin in the role.
CHEERS! HAVE A GREAT DAY! FROM THE GUY IN A DRESS

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:34 pm

You can't replace Darren Mcgavin in the role, but I think Johnny will handle the role with proper reverence, and originality.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am

Actualy I think a movie like this would right up Johnny Depp's aly, only I would cast him in the role of one of the monsters Kolchak meets up with, and not Kolchak himself.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Actualy I think a movie like this would right up Johnny Depp's aly, only I would cast him in the role of one of the monsters Kolchak meets up with, and not Kolchak himself.

Mike

That's not a bad idea.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

My DVD version of Kolchak is much better looking than my VHS version, but for some reason they cut out the dialogue where Kolchak is sitting by the pool and over the loud speaker he is asked to pick up the courtesy phone.

In the VHS version you hear the whole thing. But in the DVD version you see Kolchak just sitting there. Then you see him look around and get up and walk to the courtesy phone, pick it up and say "Kolchak?"

Any of y'all have similar problems with your movies?