Wow! They ARE real?

Discuss/post ghost stories etc!
MacPhantom
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Wow! They ARE real?

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 am

DemonSlayerMau wrote:
Maybe it does; when it comes to aliens you have to figure that there's millions of planets and stars out there. Finding more intelligent life forms might not be impossible, it just might not happen for a VERY long time because with all the stars and planets and our limited technology it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack. And first we'd have to find a planet that could possibly support life as we know it on earth. And I think that's the problem, life AS WE KNOW IT ON EARTH. If it's truly alien, I don't think it would be anything like Earth life. Or it could be, depending on if you believe in a creator; but if you believe in Evolution, that means there's a whole assortment of random possibilities governed by the force of nature known as natural selection. Which means that environmental changes would influence how a species could potentially develop and that's even IF they have the genetic structure necessary to survive in that given climate. If not, they go the way of the dinosaur, simple as that.
Scientists are constantly discovering new and very amazing things. But just because we haven't seen them YET doesn't mean we won't in the future. And aren't they still looking for the "missing link" supposedly? XP
Now as far as spirits are concerned, I think there's a difference between the physical world and the spiritual world.
From a purely speculative perspective, I agree that the vastness of the undiscovered and unexplored universe makes it hard to imagine that there isn't life in some form out there. I also agree that there is a difference between the physical world and the spiritual one, and that aliens should be considered part of the former, and investigated with the tools and procedures that we generally use for examining the physical world. Within that context, although there may not currently be any solid evidence for life on other planets, there easily could be some in the near future (finding water, a necessary component for carbon-based life forms, on other planets is always an intriguing clue). So yeah, I'm far more open minded to the possibility of aliens than ghosts.

Midnite Shadow
Halloween Master

Post by Midnite Shadow » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:33 pm

MacPhantom wrote:
DemonSlayerMau wrote:
Maybe it does; when it comes to aliens you have to figure that there's millions of planets and stars out there. Finding more intelligent life forms might not be impossible, it just might not happen for a VERY long time because with all the stars and planets and our limited technology it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack. And first we'd have to find a planet that could possibly support life as we know it on earth. And I think that's the problem, life AS WE KNOW IT ON EARTH. If it's truly alien, I don't think it would be anything like Earth life. Or it could be, depending on if you believe in a creator; but if you believe in Evolution, that means there's a whole assortment of random possibilities governed by the force of nature known as natural selection. Which means that environmental changes would influence how a species could potentially develop and that's even IF they have the genetic structure necessary to survive in that given climate. If not, they go the way of the dinosaur, simple as that.
Scientists are constantly discovering new and very amazing things. But just because we haven't seen them YET doesn't mean we won't in the future. And aren't they still looking for the "missing link" supposedly? XP
Now as far as spirits are concerned, I think there's a difference between the physical world and the spiritual world.
From a purely speculative perspective, I agree that the vastness of the undiscovered and unexplored universe makes it hard to imagine that there isn't life in some form out there. I also agree that there is a difference between the physical world and the spiritual one, and that aliens should be considered part of the former, and investigated with the tools and procedures that we generally use for examining the physical world. Within that context, although there may not currently be any solid evidence for life on other planets, there easily could be some in the near future (finding water, a necessary component for carbon-based life forms, on other planets is always an intriguing clue). So yeah, I'm far more open minded to the possibility of aliens than ghosts.
Sit on the fence Mac...it's much more fun and you don't have to prove anything. Until there is conclusive evidence of either ghosts or aliens....I don't believe or disbelieve. I would like to think there is the possibility and the idea intrigues me and makes me think there is something out there. We are energy so we have to go somewhere...and just today scientists discovered over 700 planets the same size as the Earth that might be candidates for life...who knows...I'll sit on the fence until I get shown one way or the other...
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
Its heaven and hell, oh well

I am Vengeance...I am the Night!

I swear to God...[Batman]SWEAR to Me!!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Me to. It's so much more interesting to think it's true than attempt to disprove something that is potentially unknowable.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Midnite Shadow
Halloween Master

Post by Midnite Shadow » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:42 am

Andybev01 wrote:Me to. It's so much more interesting to think it's true than attempt to disprove something that is potentially unknowable.

Amen brotha...that's the way I see it too...
They say that life's a carousel
Spinning fast, you've got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
Its heaven and hell, oh well

I am Vengeance...I am the Night!

I swear to God...[Batman]SWEAR to Me!!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Heavy skepticism takes all of the fun out of haunt movies.

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Midnite Shadow wrote:Sit on the fence Mac...it's much more fun and you don't have to prove anything.
My old grandpappy used to say "If you sit on the fence, you get splinters in your bum!" :lol:
Andybev01 wrote:Me to. It's so much more interesting to think it's true than attempt to disprove something that is potentially unknowable.
The burden of proof rests on those who claim the existence of something, not on the fella who says "I'll believe in it when you show me evidence". Skepticism is misunderstood. It's not about poking holes in things, spoiling everybody's fun, or being stubbornly unimaginative. It's about reserving judgment and withholding belief until a good reason to believe is given. If I tell you there is a great big hairy gorilla with an Uzi standing right outside your door, it may be more exciting for you to barricade yourself inside, subsisting on whatever meager provisions you happen to have on hand, pooping in an empty water bottle, and creating makeshift Molotov cocktails to chuck outside when you finally open the door to make a break for it, but it wouldn't be very reasonable. And if you were skeptical about my claim, it wouldn't be up to you to prove there wasn't an armed gorilla outside before you ventured out; you should expect me to prove my claim before acting as though it were true.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:03 pm

MacPhantom wrote:
Midnite Shadow wrote:Sit on the fence Mac...it's much more fun and you don't have to prove anything.
My old grandpappy used to say "If you sit on the fence, you get splinters in your bum!" :lol:
The burden of proof rests on those who claim the existence of something, not on the fella who says "I'll believe in it when you show me evidence". Skepticism is misunderstood. It's not about poking holes in things, spoiling everybody's fun, or being stubbornly unimaginative. It's about reserving judgment and withholding belief until a good reason to believe is given. If I tell you there is a great big hairy gorilla with an Uzi standing right outside your door, it may be more exciting for you to barricade yourself inside, subsisting on whatever meager provisions you happen to have on hand, pooping in an empty water bottle, and creating makeshift Molotov cocktails to chuck outside when you finally open the door to make a break for it, but it wouldn't be very reasonable. And if you were skeptical about my claim, it wouldn't be up to you to prove there wasn't an armed gorilla outside before you ventured out; you should expect me to prove my claim before acting as though it were true.
Why go to all of that trouble when I can just look through the peep-hole?

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 pm

The gorilla is watching through the peephole, and if he sees it darken he'll know you're there and shoot you through the door.

Bottle of Aquafina?

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:40 pm

A favorite from years ago.

I miss Calvin & Hobbes.
Attachments
Calvin-Hobbes 2.JPG
Calvin-Hobbes 2.JPG (180.69 KiB) Viewed 20192 times

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

me too, I have a tattoo of them
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Mac Phantom you crack me up.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Heh heh! I miss all the fun.

"I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place.
It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us...
seems like an awful waste of space. Right?
" - Ellie Arroway/Contact (1997)

Is that properly cited?

Click on the image for a larger, more readable version.