What to Write?

Discuss/post ghost stories etc!

Choose your top 3 Arizona story options. (Read Description Below for more details)

Poll ended at Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:53 am

Grill- A Greasy Spoon with a haunted kitchen. (Ghost Story)
7%
The Tombstone Thunderbird photograph. (Folklore/Legend)
21%
The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. (Folklore/Legend)
No votes
Tom Mix Monument OR Esmond Train Wreck (Local History)
29%
The Highway 93 Ghost Bus (Ghost Story)
29%
Other (Please state your suggestion in a comment, below)
14%

Total votes: 14

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

What to Write?

Post by jadewik » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:53 am

My blog is doing Arizona and New Mexico stories to celebrate the 100 state centennials. I can't decide on stories to write. Help me decide! Choose up to 3 options.

Poll will end sometime Friday, February 17, 2012.

Don't forget to celebrate Arizona's BIRTHDAY on TUESDAY, February 14!!!

I do have a TON of ghost stories of southern Arizona... Tombstone, Bisbee, Tucson, etc. I'm a little lacking on the New Mexico stories. If you have anything you'd like to read about, let me know! I LOVE ghost stories!

These stories will be posted on a paranormal blog I contribute to... which I sometimes cross-post here.

http://4girlsandaghost.wordpress.com/

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: What to Write?

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I vacationed in NE New Mexico years ago, at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. There are tons of ghost stories in that area. The little town of Cimarron has the St. James Hotel, which has been featured on Haunted History, I believe. Lots of famous gun-slingers passed through there. And the Scout Ranch is the location of Urraca Mesa, which was featured by Louis Lamour in his novel, The Haunted Mesa. Even the Native Americans had ghost stories about it. Weird lights and such up there.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 am

I been to Tempe, AZ many time back in 1995-2002. I have a friend who live there and study at ASU and I went to play golf there a lot. My best advice is to pick story that focus on the desert element or mountain isolation. Or you can do old indian legend horrors.
我想念我的家

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 am

Murfreesboro wrote:I vacationed in NE New Mexico years ago, at Philmont Scout Ranch in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. There are tons of ghost stories in that area. The little town of Cimarron has the St. James Hotel, which has been featured on Haunted History, I believe. Lots of famous gun-slingers passed through there. And the Scout Ranch is the location of Urraca Mesa, which was featured by Louis Lamour in his novel, The Haunted Mesa. Even the Native Americans had ghost stories about it. Weird lights and such up there.
Oooh, thanks! I don't make it to the E side of New Mexico a lot... but I'm about an hour and a half from the W side of New Mexico. I will have to look those places up-- thanks!

I do know Billy the Kid is s'posed to haunt several places 'round New Mexico-- but I just got it in my head to tour those sites the next time I have a little money to burn, so I don't want to write about it just yet. I did find this place called Cuchillo Bar that I think I'm gonna write about-- but I'll look into those places you recommended and see if they have better stories. =)

Thanks much!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:44 am

Glad I was able to give you a few leads! New Mexico is very haunted, I think!

My younger son hiked Philmont Scout Ranch in the summer of 2010, and he slept atop Urraca Mesa. He said he saw some weird bluish lights.

When I vacationed in that area, I recall we visited an actual ghost town, but I can't recall the name of it. It was a mining town once-upon-a-time, but whatever they were mining ran out.

The Sante Fe Trail runs straight through Philmont. You can still see the ruts left by the wagon wheels. I'm sure there must be ghost stories about it. And Kit Carson was headquartered in that area, too. I believe the Scout Ranch includes a stage coach inn that Kit Carson once frequented.

BTW, Philmont was used as the setting for the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove, so if you have ever seen the show, you have seen that territory.

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:53 am

New Mexico has aliens which also could be good fodder for horror. :lol:
我想念我的家

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 am

Oh, that's right! Roswell.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:When I vacationed in that area, I recall we visited an actual ghost town, but I can't recall the name of it. It was a mining town once-upon-a-time, but whatever they were mining ran out.
Those are a dime a dozen out here-- there is one I'm dying to go see just across the border called Steins. Unfortunately, every time I try to visit the place I never make it or can't find anything out about it... turns out, it was closed anyway because the owner was murdered... It's s'posed to open up back in May, so I might skip out there then. =)

... and NO ALIENS. All of the authors to the blog have agreed that we're not touching the subjects of aliens or demons. Period. (Or I'd have written about that 'Fire in the Sky' Travis Walton guy by now... except I am averse to alien stuff, so I wouldn't have... if that makes sense....)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 am

Oh, it makes sense to me. I have never really liked the space alien stuff nearly as well as ghosts.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:47 pm

If you like to visit haunted places in Arizona, the town of Tombstone is a bonanza of ghost stories, beginning with the Boot Hill Cemetery.

That's why one of my choices was "other."

Mike

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:25 pm

I was about to mention what Mike said about Tombstone. Is that what the Tombstone bird photo is? Sorry if I didn't get that right--it's not in front of me as I write this.

It seems like those lame-ohs on Ghost Adventures went to Tombstone. That was mildly amusing but maybe because I was just hoping that the leading tool on the show would either get bit by a snake or fall down a mine shaft or something.

It would probably be a much better subject to read about when written by someone such as yourself, Jade, who has a working brain :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm

I never go in for those so called ghost hunter tv shows. As you said, they're pretty lame. Amusing at best.

Mike

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Oh, I have about 15-ish Tombstone ghost stories that I know about and plenty of photos from Tombstone-- every spring my husband and I try to go out there. I have just as many stories and photos for Bisbee... but I've already written some of those stories, so I was looking for something different and in another area of the state.

Tombstone is wonderful. I think next time we go there, I'm taking a change of clothes and eating at Nellie Cashman's to try out that haunting. Cashman was an Irish woman who ran a food-place-- and she'd often give miners a free meal or two if they'd pay her back later. (Tombstone was a silver mining town, if you didn't know.) Her only request was that you behave, treat the staff well and keep your language nice. There are stories about rude people mysteriously and unknowingly dumping things like water or katchup onto their lap when they're caught breaking Nellie's old rules.

The Tombstone Thunderbird photo story is related to Tombstone, but it's somewhat obscure and I have an actual newspaper reference for the story... so it's credible. Most of the other stories I have, I have insofar been unable to find the newspaper article to back up the heresay.

... in either case... I don't know if I'll be able to write anything up now. (I may just copy/paste some older stories I've written elsewhere.) We had drama at my house this weekend. I caught a bad head cold, which had me down-and-out, AND I had to take my husband to the hospital. It's been a sucky weekend...

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Hope things get better at your house soon, Jadewik!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Jadewick, I know what you mean about sucky. At least my weekend was pretty good. I even got in a motorcycle ride yesterday, but when I got back to work this morning, I walked into a major boondoggle of rooms that were supposed to be reserved but werent, phones ringing off the hook, and e-mails of every shape and form requesting photo work. It soes not look to get any better as the week goes on, either, and next Saturday I'm covering the Regional Math Contest. So much for the weekend. BUT, I am very happy to have my job, even if it does get to be hectic once in a while.

Mike