Skeptic

Discuss/post ghost stories etc!
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Skeptic

Post by NeverMore » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

I actually don't remember how well he did. Didn't even realize Steve Guttenberg was in that movie til the other day. I just got it today from Netflix so I'm hoping to watch it again in the next few days. I just remember the creep factor from that movie. Maybe I'm not the only one, could be why our society is so against human cloning?

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 am

I don't remember it well enough to comment, either. As a matter of fact, I don't think I ever saw it all the way through. I believe I caught it mid-way on TV once.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:47 pm

I have to agree with VanHelsing. The role just didn't work for Gregory Peck. Even the German accent was more comical then authentic, especialy when he attacks that guy yellint TRRAAAAAIIIITTTOOOOORRRR!! From what I read about Joseph Mengola, he was not very emotional at all. His evil was purely scientific.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 am

Yeah, you guys are right. Peck wasn't very impressive in that role. Maybe because it was so different than his usual ones? Laurence Olivier on the other had was awesome, as usual. I still find the movie creepy, probably because of that kid. Now that the cloning aspect of the movie is closer to reality that part doesn't bother me as much. That kid though? Still have shivers running up my spine.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 am

NeverMore, that's exactly right. That kid, a supposed clone of the most horible monster of the 20th century was in deed creepy, and "The Boys from Brazil" as a whole was a very creepy and good movie, save for the Joseph Mengola portrayal. As far is it ever being reality, though, I have serious doubts. Evenif they did clone Adolf Hitler, it would be a CLONE, not Hitler himself, and his environment would and life experiences would be totaly different then that of Adolf Hitlers. It's the same deal if they cloned Mother Theresa. That clone would not actualy be Mother Theresa. The Hitler Clone could end up being the saint, and the Mother Theresa Clone could actualy end up being the tyrant, depending on the life experiences of each of those individuals.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:33 am

They were aware of the environmental factor when they made the movie. In fact, that was the whole premise of it. Mengele was trying to replicate Hitler's upbringing to the tee. That's why the children were raised by a doting mom and the dad was a civil servant and abusive. They were killing the fathers while they and the Hitler clones were the same age as when these events occurred with the originals.

I don't think it would work in the real world. Technology alone is a huge factor in our environment. Look how kids now-a-days are immersed in a virtual world while we went out and experienced the real thing. It would take creating a 'Truman Show' type world to create an exact duplicate of a pre-existing person.

Edit: Nice image on the Mother Theresa/Hitler angle. That would be a good premise for a movie right there.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:35 pm

NeverMore, that would be an interesting movie.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 pm

Its one thing to be open minded but not at the expense of having your brain fall out. I see nothing wrong with being a skeptic, especially in the paranormal field.

With so many frauds and phonies making money off peoples emotional pain, it was nice to see that worthless excuse for a human, Sylvia Browne get her nose rubbed in it.

The garbage she threw out about Amanda Berry is not the first time she's been caught. George Noory kicked her off Coast to Coast AM after getting caught in lies. Its just sad that people are so desperate in looking for answers that they let slime like her take advantage of them.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 am

Kolchak, that happens a lot, and not just with paranormal services. Elderly people are often targeted by scam artists of all kinds. One of the major scams being perpatraited against the elderly is a scam called "Chimney Shaking." What they do is offer the resident a free chimney inspection, then while they "inspect" the chimney, they do damage to it, and then charge the resident an arm and a leg to repair it.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Wed May 15, 2013 8:50 pm

So true Mike, so true. You can't understand how people can be that low down. Its hard to believe they are out there in numbers, but they are.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri May 17, 2013 11:28 am

I think the worst scams out there these days are those involving identity theft, because that can happen around the world. Some one in Tinbucktoo steals your identity, how do you prosecute them?? He's in a foreign country.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Years back I had a cop friend ask me to investigate a possible "haunted" patch of woods his brother hunted on. He knew about my interest in the paranormal and my background as a hunter. I said sure and, met with the brother at the property where this took place and you could tell he didn't want to go back to the location of the incident, but he finally agreed and we walked back to the spot and when we got there he told me a very interesting story.

He was up in a tree stand on the opening day of deer hunting season in Middle Georgia. Like most opening day hunters, he was up there an hour before sunrise to make sure he could see things at first light.

He said he had been up in the tree for about 15 minutes, and he saw a greenish ball rise up out of the ground about 50-60 feet out in front of him. Needless say to it got his attention and quick. Truth is he said he was scared to death.

The green ball rose up to about 6 feet off the ground and began to slowly move toward him. At this point he put a round in the chamber of his rifle and got ready to shoot the green ball.

He was quite adamant that upon hearing the sound of the gun being cocked, the ball stopped and hovered for a few seconds and then blacked out. The light came back on, but was now moving away from him and was not as bright as it had been when he first saw it.

He said it moved toward a barbed wire fence and it went up and over the barbed wire and crossed a small open field and went over another barbed wire fence and disappeared into the woods of an adjacent property.

I told him we were now going to treat this as a crime scene and we were going to reenact the incident. I asked him to get back up into his tree stand and show me where he first saw the light.

He directed me to a blown down pine tree and said he was sure that's where it came up. He then guided me through where the ball went from the first he saw it to the last time he observed it moving onto the adjacent property.

By this point we had been out in the woods the better part of an hour, but I was pretty sure just like Scooby-Do I had solved the Mystery of the Haunted Hunting Club.

Want to hear what I'm sure happened.

I won't bore you with certain details. Suffice to say the location was prime deer hunting. Anybody with even a small amount of hunting prowess could get a deer here. Food, water and cover were in abundance as was the numerous primary and secondary trails that created a sort of funnel that deer used day and night.

I think what the man saw was someone who was trespassing on the property and was on his way to use the tree stand he was going to.

The trespassing hunter heard the sound of footsteps crunching through the dried leaves on the ground and so he sat down on the fallen pine tree and hoped he might be able to sneak out at a later time. When the hunter crawled up into the tree, the trespasser knew the jig was up, and as soon as the sun started to rise, he'd be seen.

Trespassing is a big no-no in this part of the country and the trespasser was looking at a hefty fine, and if he had done this kind of thing before, he could be looking at jail time too.

I'm guessing he tried to use his flashlight and held up under his camouflage shirt/coat and hoped the light would not be seen by the man up the tree, holding a high-powered rifle. It's easy to get turned around and it's more than likely the trespasser thought he had his back to the tree when in fact he was looking right at it.

The greenish light rising from the ground was the trespasser standing up. He would have had only a limited view from the light under his jacket and no doubt was looking down hoping to find the barbed wire fence, but he knew he was in big trouble when he heard the rifle being cocked. The light going out was him realizing he was not going in the right direction and either turned it off or turned quickly and blocked the light from the view of the hunter up in the tree.

After getting re-oriented he made his way to the fence and crawled over it and went across the field into the property next door and safety and safety.

So to re-cap: The light was green owing to the color of his clothing. The trespasser had been on the property at least once before and hoped no one would be using the tree stand, but had to fall back to extreme measures when the rightful owner showed up.

The adjacent property was seldom used and the property this took place on had a bad habit of getting trespassers coming onto it from that location.

After he thought about my conclusion, the hunter agreed this was a more likely scenario than one of the Demon Spirit Ghost Light. It's been quite a few years since this took place and on occasion I see the man who this happened to and he says there has never been anymore lights seen on the property and that stand is used ever deer season.

Again, absence of catching the trespasser, I can't be 100% certain that the answer to this mystery was as prosaic as that, but I think common sense dictates this was what happened that early morning in October in Middle Georgia.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am

Kolchak, that sounds more like a UFO sighting then a ghost sighting. I'm not saying your friend didn't experienc what he said he experienced, but the reason I say this is because my older brother had a simular experience back in the old neighborhood years ago. He and some of his friends saw a football sized object fly right towards them, hover in front of them for about 10 seconds or so, and then fly off and disappear off into the horizen. It didn't make any sound, but it did emit a bright light as it flew and hovered, and the light was all over the color spectrum.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 pm

You never can tell Mike. Even people who spend a great deal of time in the woods see things they can't explain, so it might have been a UFO.

I try to stick with Occam's razor whenever I can though, and in this case I think it's more likely a living and breathing, two legged UFO, who had no business being where he was.

But, who knows? The great thing about this type of mystery and others like it, is you'll never know for sure.

Outside of Asheville North Carolina, there is a small range of mountains in the Pisgah National Forrest and within them is an area called Brown Mountain.

Going back to pre-Columbian times, people have seen a light floating through the woods around Brown Mountain. I've seen them a couple of times myself. Folklore suggests they are Cherokee Indian spirits.

There have been numerous scientific studies of the area by the US Forrest Service and other agencies in the Department of the Interior. The state of North Carolina has done studies too. Science says it's probably something to do with the geology of the area.

Whatever they might be they are real. Best time to see them is in the fall after the leaves have fallen off the trees, but they are observed year round.

Indian spirits sound better though.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Is Indian Spirits another name for moonshine? I thought I saw a pink elephant once. :wink: