Gardening

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Spider-Ridley
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Gardening

Post by Spider-Ridley » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:37 pm

My wife and I love gardening. Every year we plant a garden with different vegetables in one spot and different types of plants in other spots. The not so fun part of gardening is the weeds that have to be pulled all of the time, but tasting the fruits of our labor makes it all worth it in the end.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:55 pm

For me gardening is the triumph of hope over experience. I try every year, but I seldom get great results.

This year I have tried an herb garden. Rosemary, thyme sage, and lavender. The lavender hasn't sprouted. :(

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Me too, but no lavender.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Yesterday I bought basil, chives, and oregano to add to it. They were out of lavender, though.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:17 pm

Fast forward to 2023...
While I don't have much luck growing pumpkins by seed (I am getting a couple though and some squash) a lot of times I'll toss store bought pumpkins into the compost after Halloween (or sometimes after Thanksgiving since I might keep a few fall decorations out for that)
And usually I get some interesting results the next year. I never seem to get the same thing twice either. XD But I like surprises and that makes things fun.
This year I'm getting a bunch of the little pumpkins. Some of them you could say could be jack-be-little-ish, but I'm also getting the cute tiger striped pumpkins too. I've grown quite fond of those, so it's nice to see them growing in my garden.
Either way whatever I get is always a nice surprise. I might take pictures later, but so far I'm getting a TON of them. I might take a few to the elementary school, the kids would probably get a kick out of them.
I find it fascinating in general that there's SOOOOO many pumpkin varieties out there. I feel like I'm becoming something of a pumpkin enthusiast. XD
One year I even got something really unique...it started out like a regular white pumpkin but then it got orange freckles. It was cool. I'll have to find a picture of it.

Here's a few of this year's "surprise" pumpkins...aren't they cute? :D

Found the freckled pumpkin...made a pretty cool Jack O Lantern that year too. I think it was in 2021?
I even used the smoke balls in it. :) Made a cool effect. I remember getting that idea on here...I think from Pumpkin_Man?
ImageImage
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:26 pm

Your pumpkins are amazing!

Whenever I try to grow them, something comes along in the night and eats all the blossoms off. No pumpkins for me. :cry:

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:20 am

Mau!! Welcome back.

Love that JOL with the smoke bomb!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:50 am

Thank you, Andy!
I hope to do more of those this year. Depends on what kind of pumpkins I get (so far I've only been getting the itsy bitsy ones though, but there might be a few bigger ones growing in the "gutter." Last I checked I think there was one or two of the bigger ones, but I don't know what variety they are or if they'll make it.
I call it the gutter because it's a little area that's down hill. I really don't like putting a garden there because I hate having to walk down hill, and it tends to really favor the weeds. But pumpkins seem to be doing good there. lol I guess we'll have to see.
Worse comes to worse, I'll just buy a couple carving jack o lantern pumpkins from Walmart or wherever.
I DO have some smoke balls that have been sitting around forever. I hope they still work. lol
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:20 am

Those pumpkins are amazing! 🎃