Gardening

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Gardening

Post by MauEvig » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Are you sure that isn't some kind of mold Andy? That corn looks gross!

I'm glad people are liking my ghost zucchini though. As far as I know it's still edible. ^^; Maybe I'll make some bread out of it.

I kind of feel bad that I seem to be the only one on here with anything successful in their gardens. And here mine got taken over by pumpkin/gourd vines and weeds. :lol: I did plant peas and beans somewhere in there, but I don't know where they went. Oh well. It was an experiment anyway; we can organize things better next year; maybe plant a separate pumpkin patch for the pumpkins. I have an interesting spot in mind for the gourds so they can grow up side a small fence, which would be like "organic" decorating in a way. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:33 am

Is that corn edible, Andy?

I am harvesting tomatoes and basil, Mau. I didn't plant much this year, think I'll get more ambitious next year.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 pm

There is no way you will ever find out because I will never eat it.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 pm

:lol:

I think Mau may be right--a fungus or something got to it.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:23 pm

The egg shell thing does work! After a couple days sitting in the front window, the seeds I saved from last year's pumpkins have sprung. This will come in handy for you who live in colder weather climates. Get a jump on spring. Just poke a hole in the bottom of the shell so excess water can drain, throw some dirt and seeds in, water daily, and give em plenty of sun. If you wish, crush the shell when you put it in the ground, otherwise it will decompose. I planted these in a bunch of different locations, different dirt and water conditions, see where they work out best since they won't get as much water as last time I grew pumpkins. Stupid drought! I'm just gonna let them go wild, unlike last time where I tended them carefully.

I hope my cats don't like to eat pumpkin leaves. And I hope they catch the gophers who do.

This is what it looked like when I removed the first one. Roots actually went through the carton. You can also germinate them in the egg carton but I figured it would be easier to transfer by using the shells.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Looks like you have some healthy plantlings there!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 pm

I can't believe they sprouted like that in only three or four days. I noticed a couple of the locations I chose don't get a lot of sun but if I only get a couple of vines I'll be happy.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:43 pm

You have a beautiful cat Nevermore! Is he/she siamese?

Did you just plant your pumpkins now or are these photos from earlier in the year? I know I had to start as soon as possible in the Spring because if I plant them too late, the frost might kill them later on. I just picked a whole bunch of miniature pumpkins today and there's tons more where that came from. I found one of my bird house gourds, I just hope there's more of them. Apparently they have to be dried out and it can take 6 months to a year to do so. I didn't know it would take that long! Guess I won't have any for the farmer's market this year; but I might paint some of the minis for decorative purposes. I got a good crop of the big pumpkins as well.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:45 pm

I guess she's siamese. Not sure, she adopted me a few years ago.

I just put the seedlings in the ground yesterday. Last time I grew pumpkins I started in June and they ripened a couple months early. They were starting to mildew by Halloween. Our warmest weather is August through mid October so it should be good growing weather.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:02 am

I'm pretty sure the cat is smelling the eggs, not the plants.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:04 pm

I can't remember which state you said you were in, but I think we have a different growing season here in Virginia. The egg trick sounds kind of neat though; and it's a good way to reuse some organic material for something useful. I remember in New York we had to start things pretty early as well; but I think considering the pumpkins are pretty much almost ready now, they should last long enough for Halloween hopefully.

She looks siamese to me. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm in San Diego, so our growing season goes much later in the year. Problem last time I grew, with the pumpkins ripening so early, was the heat wasn't very friendly towards them while in storage.

I asked the cat if she was Siamese but I couldn't understand her because she only speaks Thai.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:56 pm

OK that's understandable. Growing up in New York I was used to the growing season starting in May and ending in about August. I don't think it's much different in Virginia though by the looks of things some things are still growing in the garden.

:lol: That's too funny about the cat thing.

Well guys...a bit of a status report on my garden...I'm seeing more of my lemon cucumbers coming out...so they didn't all die like I'd thought! No watermelons. Counted about 10 pumpkins not counting the two white ones or the minis.

I'm still seeing flowers on mine so for all I know I'll be getting more. I'm willing to bet it's the soil; I heard that particular spot was good for growing anyway. Assuming we rotate the crops on a yearly basis and feed them with some of the compost I'd put aside, I hope it continues to be a nice fertile spot.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:38 pm

You sound like you are turning into quite the gardener!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:00 pm

Some critter, probably a gopher, ate one of my pumpkin plants, nibbled on the leaves of others. Only 3 of the 11 plants seem to be taking off, though not as fast as last time I grew pumpkins. Probably from lack of water. Now I'm wondering if I'll get any pumpkins in time for Halloween.