Gardening

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Gardening

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for sharing Murf. I can't wait to try it.

But now I have to get over my sickness first. x_x It started on Sunday and now it's got so bad I had to call off work. Just rest and relaxation with a ton of fluids for me today. I can't seem to stomach much but I'm making myself eat some fruit; I hope it'll help.

I'll probably try this around Thanksgiving time anyway; and I plan to experiment with a few different recipes.
I'm not sure if I've tried it before with nuts but I bet it's good that way.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather! I had some little stomach thing a couple of weeks back. Maybe there is something going around.

Yeah, you can leave the nuts out if you don't like them, or just want to cut down on the expense. I usually make this bread in the summertime simply because zucchini is a summertime thing. At Christmas I make cranberry-orange bread. Of course, pumpkin bread is also good.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:30 pm

I could always try it both ways; with and without the nuts. That way I can decide which one I like better. :)

I think I'm feeling a bit better today; still a little stuffed up though but overall I feel more...cheerful. :)

Sorry you had a stomach bug. I hate those. Yeah I think something is going around; mine was more of a sore-throat/stuffy nose thing. A sinus infection perhaps; but I've been taking my mucus relief medicine (generic mucinex) and drinking a lot of water. I've been drinking more water lately anyway but really drank a lot yesterday. I'm trying to cut down on the pop too.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:20 pm

It sounds like you might have turned the corner. I hope so!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:06 pm

I hope so as well! I ended up having to go home early from my second job. But I think I'm doing better now.
Going to interview for a Substitute teaching position on Monday as well. :)

My boyfriend said he likes pecans; so I think we'll definitely try it with them. We tried these pecan yummies at the Maple Festival that were really good.

Also spotted some cukes in my garden; seems they're coming along now. Of course you all know the pumpkins are coming along nicely. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:08 pm

My husband loves cucumber salad in the summertime.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Well a bit of an update, seems my corn is coming along nicely, and I accidentally let some of my zucchini go a little too long. Oops! But it definitely looks like I'll have pumpkins in the near future. I may or may not have tomatoes. There's some green ones on there, but I have no idea how they'll turn out. The garden was completely taken over by pumpkins.
The cukes turned yellow on me, so that tells me I might have had too much rain here and aren't much good.
I think my miniature pumpkins might be close to being ready, and I found my bird house gourds.

I didn't get many veggies, but I definitely got my pumpkins. :lol:

I did pick a white pumpkin off a vine that dried up. It looks all warped and twisted looking. If it lasts until Halloween it'll be a great asset to my haunted decorating. :D
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 am

NeverMore wrote:
I was just looking through our old thread on growing pumpkins and see I planted my pumpkins about this time of year. Unfortunately, they ripened a couple months early so I think I may wait to the end of this month. I'm not going to be able to supply as much water so I'm wondering if they'll grow slower, or if it will even work.
Don't make me turn you in to the water department.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11 am

Hey! We Californians exceeded our conservation mandate so don't give me no gruff! Anyways, I use about a tenth of the water my neighbors do. There are still a lot of lush lawns around here. I've actually seen the water police patrolling our streets.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Wow, they actually have water police there huh?

Too bad they can't just convert the ocean water into something that can be used for gardens, but you'd probably have to filter out the salt and stuff.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:38 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Hey! We Californians exceeded our conservation mandate so don't give me no gruff! Anyways, I use about a tenth of the water my neighbors do. There are still a lot of lush lawns around here. I've actually seen the water police patrolling our streets.
Water Police! The brand new cop show, coming this fall on ABC!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:03 pm

I picked some zucchini today...and if I didn't know any better I'd say my garden is getting into the Halloween spirit. I blame the pumpkins. But the reason I say that is because I found a zucchini with a "ghost" print on it. Check it out:

I also picked several ears of corn. Can't wait to boil it up and throw on some butter! YUM!
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:21 pm

MauEvig wrote:Too bad they can't just convert the ocean water into something that can be used for gardens, but you'd probably have to filter out the salt and stuff.
Actually, we do have a desalination plant opening here next year. Only took 12 years to build. Unfortunately, these plants are really energy intensive. We're having power shortages here too. So many people. I think we should kick out everyone who moved here after I did.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:25 am

I see your zucchini ghost, Mau!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:07 pm

I too see your ghost zucchini, Mau, and I raise you 'zombie corn'!

Almost all of the ears that my buddies planted this year are bursting open on their own well before they are mature ears.

No precedent for this so I blame Fukushima radiation.

The house is on an ocean-facing hillside that is regularly enveloped in blankets of Pacific fog, composed of salt water brought in on currents that originate from Asian shores.

Not that I dwell on this, mind you.
Attachments
0717151835.jpg
0717151835.jpg (121.3 KiB) Viewed 17595 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.