I HATE WINTER

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

I HATE WINTER

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:49 am

Here is a small sampling of what it's been like, and it's still January! :( :( :(

Mike
Attachments
I tried to gas up my car that day, but it totaly bogged down in the snow by the end of my block.  I had to walk back to my house, get a shovel and dig a trench all the way back to my parking space.
I tried to gas up my car that day, but it totaly bogged down in the snow by the end of my block. I had to walk back to my house, get a shovel and dig a trench all the way back to my parking space.
Frame 06.jpg (35.47 KiB) Viewed 14247 times
Just a few short months ago, that street was alive with people and carnival rides.  Now it could easily pass for a street in a ghost town
Just a few short months ago, that street was alive with people and carnival rides. Now it could easily pass for a street in a ghost town
Frame 09.jpg (22.99 KiB) Viewed 14247 times
It took a bulldozer to remove all the snow from this street.  I had to sit in my car and wait until he was done.
It took a bulldozer to remove all the snow from this street. I had to sit in my car and wait until he was done.
Frame 01.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 14247 times

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: I HATE WINTER

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm

And isn't that what winter is supposed to be?????? I am beginning to believe people have lost all perspective. As I have suggested before, move if it bothers you that much. You don't see me posting every summer that I hate the heat. Problem is, every region gets warm weather at some point. That isn't the case with snow.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:40 am

No winter here. Low to mid 70s for the past week and a half.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 am

And no water. Meanwhile, we have plenty laying on the ground just waiting to be scooped up.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Boogymamn it's kind of hard to move, with a job, a house and roots. I like where I live. I just don't like January and February is all.

Andy, that would be nice. It is supposed to warm up next week around here. I doubt it will be around 70, but at least it night get above freezing.

Mike

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm

I am sure someone with talent like you would be able to find a job elsewhere. And houses can be sold, it is done all the time. I am frankly getting annoyed with the whining and am losing respect for you. Do you even realize how you come off doing this? I don't say this to be mean but simply to point off that you don't paint yourself in a good light.

Henry David Thoreau

Spookymufu
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:07 pm

we're being hit with a cold snap here in South Texas, going to be in the 30's with ice

http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Boogeyman wrote:And isn't that what winter is supposed to be?????? I am beginning to believe people have lost all perspective. As I have suggested before, move if it bothers you that much. You don't see me posting every summer that I hate the heat. Problem is, every region gets warm weather at some point. That isn't the case with snow.
It's not that easy. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who has moved to another state, and I'm still struggling to find a better job. Just today I got an interview and hours later a letter denying my application.

Besides, where would people move to anyway? I rather deal with the freezing cold than things like hurricanes and tornados. I moved down here because of my boyfriend, but if I were to move anywhere else, I'd have to start from scratch which would be difficult for someone who's in loads of debt and doesn't know anyone. A lot of times, it's not the talent that finds people jobs, it's who you know. Unfortunately that might just be the case with Pumpkin Man.

However, I think perhaps the best people can do is just try to do the best they can with the time they have, even if it is freezing cold. Try to turn it around into a positive. The winter season can be nice for photography since you can capture some pretty amazing images with the snow gathered on fences, and get a nice rustic country scene out of it.

Now if I were to win the lottery, I'd establish a winter home in the southern states where it's more likely to be warm, and a summer home closer to the north where my family lives. If we were rich enough to be able to migrate like birds, moving back and forth would be an option. But unfortunately, I doubt anyone on this forum has that kind of money even if they have met all of their career goals.

Spooky if you think that's bad, we're getting 2 to 21 above zero tonight with freezing wind chill advisories from 15 to 24 below zero with winds at 10 to 20 MPH with gusts at 30MPH. I'd gladly trade the weather with you if you'd like. XD
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Magnus
Ghost

Post by Magnus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 am

Boogeyman wrote:I am sure someone with talent like you would be able to find a job elsewhere. And houses can be sold, it is done all the time. I am frankly getting annoyed with the whining and am losing respect for you. Do you even realize how you come off doing this? I don't say this to be mean but simply to point off that you don't paint yourself in a good light.
Wow. When people qualify their statement with "I don't say this to be mean" or "Not to be insulting, but" it usually means look out because they're about to and somehow its ok since they made the leading statement.

Not that Mike needs my help, but you're annoyed with his "whinning? SO WHAT. Losing respect for him? Again, SO WHAT. He's not painting himself in a good light? Says you. I see a guy that just doesn't like winter.

I also seem to recall a few posts from you "whinning" about your situation of losing your job, not able to do this or that because of no money and your social awkwardness. See how some could have been annoyed with you and also lose respect?

Sheesh, man. If you live in a glass house, watch where you throw those rocks.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:55 am

Morally bankrupt and politically broken adopted Californian here.

Glad to pay in the insane prices and put up with nut jobs for 70 degree winters and unusually high fire danger.

We are 1 month into winter and on my way to work this morning I noticed fruit trees are blossoming.

On the downside I was looking at new apartments and a 485 square foot Studio is going for, and I couldn't make this up, $2220.20.

I <deleted> you not.

So it really depends on what you want verses what you can afford sometimes
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:36 am

MauEvig, I have been out of work for almost two years, so you don't have to tell me how difficult it is. But that doesn't mean it can 't be done. If it were me, I would research an area that interested me online and find out what the local economy is. Then save money and visit and maybe apply for a few jobs. There are places that are booming. North Dakota is exploding due to oil. So is Texas and even Canada. A booming economy means that the jobs are not just oil related jobs either.

I prefer to be proactive instead of reactive.

Andy, I understand your point about California. But that is really the fault of the citizens of the state. As for the drought, I really don't understand since you have the ocean. Why not take some of that water and purify it?

And every region has at least one weather issue to deal with at some point, some more than one. Besides winter, the midwest also has tornadoes. Granted, they don't hit where I am very often but always a possibility.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 am

Boodyman, I was not "whining" as you put it. I was simply trying to make conversation in the 'off topic' forum, and perhaps post a few of my photos. The "I HATE WINTER" subject line was more of a joke. Besides, as Muevig pointed out, a severe Winter does make for some nice photo ops. Showing some of my photos was more the reason for my post then just to complain, or even to complain at all. It was more of an exagerated statement on my part to show what it can be like where I live in Winter. That's all. As for January and February, I have allways been at more of a low during those two months, and weather really has little or nothing to do with it. It's been that way since I was a kid.

As for moving, selling my house, etc, 1. I owe more on my house then it's worth, thanks to the realestas crash of 08. 2nd. I am about 1 to 4 years away from retirement from my present job, and if I quit now, I could really blow it for myself. I can retire any time now, but if I wait until after I'm 55, then I get free health care insurance with my pention. If I don't wait, then I have to pay for my health care insurance. Surely you can see the wisdom in that. Relocation is just not as easy as you make it sound. Jobs are very hard to get, and since I'm in my mid 50s, age discrimination comes into play. It's happened to me right where I work. Almost all of the administrators, with the exception of the president herself, are young enough to be my sons and daughters. Everyone in my office is no younger then 40, with the exception of myself and one part time technition. So getting a new job in another state that will actualy pay a living is not likely to happen.

So please try to look at my posts with a litle perspective. I am not trying to "annoy" or argu with you. I was just passing the time while I archive all of the film based photos that I have taken over the years, and the weather is a topic about which almost everyone talks about.

Nuff said.

Mike

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 am

Dang that looks cold! I won't post the weather here in Florida ;-) Although it was 39-40 here this morning!

(And lets just try to be supportive!)
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm

Mike, I am 44 and discrimination is a factor as well. You don't have to tell me about the difficulties of job searching. I have been looking for two years almost.

As for your insurance, in a few years that may not matter anyway if things don't change. There will only be government insurance.

If you weren't complaining or whining, then I apologize but what else is someone to think when you factor this post along with your comments in the winter doldrums thread? And your comments every winter for the last few years...

I am certainly not saying you shouldn't post at all. But that people can perceive things differently. Also tone doesn't always come through in written text.

Henry David Thoreau

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:26 pm

Magnus wrote:
Boogeyman wrote:I am sure someone with talent like you would be able to find a job elsewhere. And houses can be sold, it is done all the time. I am frankly getting annoyed with the whining and am losing respect for you. Do you even realize how you come off doing this? I don't say this to be mean but simply to point off that you don't paint yourself in a good light.
Wow. When people qualify their statement with "I don't say this to be mean" or "Not to be insulting, but" it usually means look out because they're about to and somehow its ok since they made the leading statement.

Not that Mike needs my help, but you're annoyed with his "whinning? SO WHAT. Losing respect for him? Again, SO WHAT. He's not painting himself in a good light? Says you. I see a guy that just doesn't like winter.

I also seem to recall a few posts from you "whinning" about your situation of losing your job, not able to do this or that because of no money and your social awkwardness. See how some could have been annoyed with you and also lose respect?

Sheesh, man. If you live in a glass house, watch where you throw those rocks.
Excuse me. but talking about my situation is not whining. If I was constantly harping on it, you might be correct but I did in context with the comments of another poster, relaying how I can sympathize. Frankly, I can't help that I have Asperger's, which is a recognized disability. You might not want to criticize before you know all the information. So congratulations, you just attacked someone that is disabled. Are you a Wendy Davis supporter?

If you have been around enough, you would know that for the last several years, Mike has made it known he can't stand winter. That is fine, but that develops a pattern that might come across as whining.

As for the glass house, you need to heed your own advice.

Secondly, since I don't know you at all your opinion matters none.

Henry David Thoreau