Easter Bunny Lore: What's your favorite version?

Easter talk - in conjunction with EasterBunny.com
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Easter Bunny Lore: What's your favorite version?

Post by MauEvig » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:17 pm

I've seen different movies depicting the Easter bunny, and with Easter around the corner I thought I'd start a new interesting Easter topic.

In Rise of the Guardians, he's Bunnymund, an Australian talking bunny with an attitude, who can travel through these magic "warp holes" in the ground, and has an entire paradise for coloring eggs, and the eggs themselves can walk around and such.

In Hop, the Easter Bunny is located on "Easter Island" which is a real place. In real life Easter Island really has nothing to do with Easter, but they did get one thing right, the Easter Island heads. This particular interpretation has the tradition of Easter Bunny passed down from father to son, while the "baby chicks" have always sat in the shadows serving as the Easter Bunny's workers. The movie also features the Bunny's "secret service" agents, or the Pink Berets. The story itself focuses on a man who can't find a job, and won't settle for just any job, and E.B. the son of the Easter bunny and next in line to take on the roll, who instead wants to be in a band rather than deliver Easter baskets. He ends up helping save Easter and becomes co-Easter bunny. The Easter bunny also has a flying ship with which to deliver eggs.

There's also a really old cartoon where a bunny is adopted by some orphan kids in a child-only village, and ends up saving the "adult only" town from the wrath of an evil regent who rules through her nephew who is the only child in the village. This one has that old cheesy stop motion feel, but it's a classic. In this version, the Easter Bunny cleans up and repairs an old train to deliver his easter baskets. This one is called "The Easter Bunny is coming to town."

Finally I do remember a version where the Easter Bunny originated as a plush rabbit owned by a little girl. He had to be thrown away when the little girl was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, something that was more common back in the old days before the advent of antibiotics gaining popularity. He was then brought to life, and I believe received some assistance from Santa Claus. It has a "Velveteen rabbit" kind of scenario in it, which I think is yet another classic told at Easter time. I also remember stories of Peter Rabbit who was popular at Easter time despite the fact that the only thing he had to do with Easter was that the stories had to do with bunnies.

Some Easter Movies can be found here: http://kidstvmovies.about.com/od/easter ... tertop.htm Some of them look like they're for really little kids. Charlie Brown Fans can probably appreciate the "It's the Easter Beagle" Charlie Brown.

So what's your favorite version of the Easter Bunny? Well I have to admit...I really like Bunnymund for his spunk and attitude, while "E.B." from Hop is probably a close second.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Easter Bunny Lore: What's your favorite version?

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:29 am

I think most of these movies must have come along after I was too old to see them. I don't remember most of them (I do remember Velveteen Rabbit & Peter Rabbit, though).

Although the Easter bunny has always visited my house, our collection of Easter movies is all religious in theme.

When I was a little girl, besides going to church on Easter, my mother made Easter all about springtime. I used to get stuffed animals and figurines that represented all kinds of baby animals and springtime motifs.

ETA: Oh, looking at that list, I do see Easter Parade. I have that one, but my family will hide it from me, because they are not enthusiastic about an old-fashioned Hollywood musical. I just love to watch Fred Astaire dance. The story really doesn't have much to do with Easter, except that it ends at Easter time.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:20 pm

I miss the days when you could buy baby ducks and rabbits in pet shops. We had several over the years as I was growing up. I had one rabbit that lived to be 15 years old.

Rabbits are not your typical scary Halloween fare. I do recall a movie called Night of the Lepus, where some small town must do battle with giant man eating killer rabbits that attack in packs.

This was no Steven Spielberg production so special effects were not that special. They took a bunch of rabbits and put them in town made up of toy houses and buildings and such. Then they filmed the rabbits jumping around in slow motion. It was so bad that it was funny. You wonder how they ever got the money to make such a turkey? I could just see them trying to sell this idea.....Okay! Here it is! Giant Killer Man Eating Rabbits! Well!? What Do You Think?!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:28 am

I think that's hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: