Your Halloween Collection

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Your Halloween Collection

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Let's talk about our collection of Halloween stuff. What does it consist of mostly? Well, mine should be obvious. The majority of my Halloween decor consists of black cats of some sort (I even have an orange cat with a witch's hat!). I also have quite a bit of stuff with skulls and skeletons now, and a few pumpkin assortments. So my major theme every year is usually the same because that's pretty much what I accumulate over the years: Black cat stuff.
So in this discussion, let's talk about our Halloween collections, what do you like to collect? What do you like to display?
And also, do you think I should add more variety to my collection or stick with my favorite theme? How about you? You have a favorite theme or just like a bunch of variety? Maybe your theme consists of cats and skulls or pumpkins and ghosts.
I was pondering this and I was thinking, SHOULD I have more variety to my theme? Gosh, I don't think I even have any ghosts in my collection or witches or even bats.
It's pretty much, black cats, skulls, and a few pumpkins.
And what about you, what's your Halloween niche, and do you think you should add more variety to your theme or stick to your favorite stuff?
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Your Halloween Collection

Post by adrian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:07 pm

if you wanted to expand your decorations based on the cats then i'd suggest witching it up a bit :) that'd be fun

my collection includes a LARGE variety of John Carpenter's Halloween collectables along with every VHS and DVD that has any association with the movie series :)

as far as decor goes... ANYTHING GOES. i collect anything that has to do with the holiday :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm

I guess I collect mostly spiders and witch things. I do my house inside and out, and have a variety, but I find beauty in webs.
I like classic Halloween things. Ghosts and pumpkins, witches and black cats.
I have ghastly things for my Haunted Barn. Blood and bones, zombies and other creeps.
But in my house, I like beautiful things. Glittered webs and jeweled spiders. It is magical!!!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:33 pm

I did see a little witch I was tempted to get.
I do have some little bears sitting on pumpkins with witch outfits on. I remember one year Dollar tree had a bunch of those. I grabbed the ones that had a small cat on the pumpkin, or if the bear was holding a cat.
Maybe I should take pictures of my collection to show people what I've got. I've got a webcam, so the quality might not be all that great.
Spiders huh? I thought about getting one of those big fuzzy spiders and making a web out of some white yarn I've got laying around.
I did make a paper spider web last year with a paper spider in it. It was a black widow too.

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:16 pm

i like the new Avatar DSM :) it took me a minute to realize whose post i was reading :)

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:05 pm

My collection is really based on a lot of one thing, just a bunch of variety. I have a lot of the Walmart brand outdoor decorations like the tree faces, spider webbing, etc. I have several door covering that people walk through, lots of halloween themed candles (I'm a sucker for candles :p ) and I have many sculptures that I've made in the past few years that are my pride and joys :) Now thinking about it, I have a lot of pumpkin things but that's just coincidental :)

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:24 am

I collect things that are unusual. I too, have tons of the regular supermarket stuff. Over the last few years I have started a tradition of finding 1 thing that no one else will have. At least here in my town.
I try to find beauty. This year I have made a copper glittered skull centerpiece. It is so pretty that I am making an entire purple glittered skeleton!
I like conversation pieces.
I HATE real spiders, but it seems to be my most aquired theme. They are beautiful.
Oggie Boogie

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm

adrian wrote:i like the new Avatar DSM :) it took me a minute to realize whose post i was reading :)
Thanks! The image was made completely by accident. I have this skull that I got from the salvation army and it's actually a green skull candle holder. I also have this little blue LED light on a lighter (I'm not a smoker, I bought the lighter to light some morning glories on the fourth of july, and this one in particular was really cool!) and I decided to shine it on the skull, and it made a really cool effect! So I took some images on my cell phone that comes with a little camera, and it got a little shaky making more of a ghostly effect. I sent it to my e-mail deciding it would make a great avatar.

I think collecting things that are unusal are a good idea. Homemade decorations you know for certain no one else has. Sometimes you find things at thrift stores and yard sales that no on else has (I made a topic specifically for yard sale and thrift store shopping :) ) I have some painted rocks that I painted last year and I think I saved my paper wall hangs I made with construction paper last year. Sometimes I find something that just catches my eye though, and then it doesn't matter if it's cliche or not as long as I like it.
I've always LOVED cats though, and I think that's one of the major things that attracts me to Halloween. No other holiday except maybe Christmas or Valintines day really does anything with cats, and Halloween has more cat stuff than any other holiday. Plus Halloween is spooky, and there's just something mysterious about those black cats. Black cats are said to be unlucky and witch's familiars. I say phooey. If anything those cute black cats are good luck. Plus seeing a black cat with a pumpkin is oh so cute.
Then again, I'm going to be a witch this year, so I think my black cat theme will fit in well with my costume.

Firefighter_Barbie
Master Reaper

Post by Firefighter_Barbie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:08 pm

DemonSlayerMau wrote: Thanks! The image was made completely by accident. I have this skull that I got from the salvation army and it's actually a green skull candle holder. I also have this little blue LED light on a lighter (I'm not a smoker, I bought the lighter to light some morning glories on the fourth of july, and this one in particular was really cool!) and I decided to shine it on the skull, and it made a really cool effect! So I took some images on my cell phone that comes with a little camera, and it got a little shaky making more of a ghostly effect. I sent it to my e-mail deciding it would make a great avatar.

I think collecting things that are unusal are a good idea. Homemade decorations you know for certain no one else has. Sometimes you find things at thrift stores and yard sales that no on else has (I made a topic specifically for yard sale and thrift store shopping :) ) I have some painted rocks that I painted last year and I think I saved my paper wall hangs I made with construction paper last year. Sometimes I find something that just catches my eye though, and then it doesn't matter if it's cliche or not as long as I like it.
I've always LOVED cats though, and I think that's one of the major things that attracts me to Halloween. No other holiday except maybe Christmas or Valintines day really does anything with cats, and Halloween has more cat stuff than any other holiday. Plus Halloween is spooky, and there's just something mysterious about those black cats. Black cats are said to be unlucky and witch's familiars. I say phooey. If anything those cute black cats are good luck. Plus seeing a black cat with a pumpkin is oh so cute.
Then again, I'm going to be a witch this year, so I think my black cat theme will fit in well with my costume.
Two years ago on Halloween day, I found a black kitten no more than a few weeks old abandoned in town, so I took him home and his name is Lucky! :D :D :D

Talk about crazy, eh? :P

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Awwwww! How cute! I'd love a black cat, but we've already got five cats in our family. My cat, Mini I simply couldn't replace her for the world. She's my little buddy.
Lucky is such a cute name, my cousins have a black cat named Lucky.
Oh well, someday perhaps I'll have a black cat. And a pure white one too!

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:51 pm

I have a black cat. Her name is Spooky. She replaced the last black cat I had named Salem that ran away.
I love her, but she is evil. She will not let anyone hold her at all. Also, she is an indoor/outdoor cat. She kills everything she can get to. From early spring to late fall we call the porch "The Body Farm". I live in Knoxville Tn and the University of Tennessee has a body farm for forensic research.
Oggie Boogie

Black Catt
Ghost

Post by Black Catt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I don't think I buy/collect any one theme.
I usually buy new things every year, spent $50 already at a toonies and loonies store..great stuff!

I guess if I had to choose it would be a witches kitchen. I enjoy jars of misc. items arranged on shelves, black light and glowing objects. Spiders, skeletons and pumpkins.

I have done my porch as a spiders "nest" and am going to add to that this year.
I have done the witches kitchen (2yrs ago) and will do that again this year. Along with a few things in the foyer and livingroom.

This year is the first year we are throwing a party, so I'll no doubt decorate in the bathroom too.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Black Catt wrote:I don't think I buy/collect any one theme.
I usually buy new things every year, spent $50 already at a toonies and loonies store..great stuff!

I guess if I had to choose it would be a witches kitchen. I enjoy jars of misc. items arranged on shelves, black light and glowing objects. Spiders, skeletons and pumpkins.

I have done my porch as a spiders "nest" and am going to add to that this year.
I have done the witches kitchen (2yrs ago) and will do that again this year. Along with a few things in the foyer and livingroom.

This year is the first year we are throwing a party, so I'll no doubt decorate in the bathroom too.

if you get a chance to get near a Spirit Halloween store, they have a great selection on witch's kitchen stuff :)

Black Catt
Ghost

Post by Black Catt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm

I've never heard of that store.
I'm from Nova Scotia..we don't have any cool stores.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:50 pm

where is that located? :) you can also shop online at http://www.spirithalloween.com :)