Interview With Nick Redfern

Halloween writing, poetry, fan pics and more!
Uath
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Interview With Nick Redfern

Post by Uath » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 am

Nick is a noted UFO hunter and Cryptozoologist. He did an extensive article/interview for my website. Check it out:

http://ghastlydoor.com/interview-with-nick-redfern/

MacPhantom
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Interview With Nick Redfern

Post by MacPhantom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:25 am

Interesting interview...thanks for posting it! While I was passingly aware of Redfern's name, I'm more familiar with his Three Men Seeking Monsters cohort Richard Freeman, who I met at a Loch Ness symposium back in 1999 (back before he began dressing like a pirate).

I do have to say, however, that Mr. Redfern's theories of cryptozoological creatures being supernatural in nature is the biggest reason why the filed of cryptozoology will never receive the respect it deserves. The idea that there are undiscovered animals or species of animals is one that I think every single reputable scientist and peer review scientific journal could agree with (even if they limit such species to insects or fish, and not ape-like creatures). But once one transitions out of the realm of evidence into the world of the supernatural, it is hard to take anything one says seriously. I also think the Center for Fortean Zoology does itself a real disservice to list Anthony "Doc" Shiels on their board of consultants. It damages their credibility to have any association with a known fraudster. It would be akin to bestowing a posthumous award for excellence in investigation on Frank Searle.

Again... Thanks very much for the interview!

Uath
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Uath » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 am

I was toying with the idea of getting all three members of Three Men Seeking Monsters to give interviews. Freeman is on the forefront of the "tulpas" debate. Tulpas are a type of mass hysteria that has its roots in reality.
The most famous example given is that of Henry Gibson (aka Maxwell Grant). Gibson wrote the hugely popular "Shadow" books. The Shadow was a proto-superhero who fought crime wearing a black cloak and black flop hat. I've read several Shadow novels and loved them as a kid.
After Gibson's death, people reported seeing a black cloaked figure with a black flop hat lurking around Gibson's NY residence.
The idea is that if enough people believe in something, their group-think will actually create an image that other people can see. It's kind of like a mass-hysteria hologram. Created in the human mind, but projected where other people can see it.
I know you know about this theory, I just figured that other people might not have heard of it.
Macphantom, I have a place for opinions and articles on my website. You seem involved in the sort of things we cover. I like how you come to the paranormal with a scientific mind-set. Write an article for me and I'll publish it. Don't be afraid of controversy. Heres my e-mail:

uath@ureach.com

MacPhantom
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by MacPhantom » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks, Uath. I might take you up on that! The discipline necessary to consolidate my jumbled musings into a coherent article could be just what I need... :)