FAVORITE 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: FAVORITE 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:43 am

What was it Benjamin Franklin supposedly said to that woman at the end of the Constitutional Convention? She asked him what sort of government the founders had devised. He answered, "A Republic, Madam, if you can keep it." I guess we know now how that worked out.

The prescience of the forefathers has always astonished me. They understood human nature.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Back then we had statesmen. Men with principles, and many lost everything with the stance they took. Today we have politicians, who are just super scumbags. Lowest of the low.

How low you might ask?

Well.....

If you were on a sinking ship a regular low life would get in a life boat before YOUR mother. These scumbags would get in the life boat before THEIR OWN mother.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:50 am

They also really understood human nature, had no illusions about what people are basically like. On another forum I frequent, we were recently discussing the fundamental flaw in secular humanism, the idea that people are basically good. That is not what the Bible teaches. The people who founded our country had varying degrees of religious faith, but they were shaped by a culture that was saturated with the Biblical perspective of human nature.

What was it Madison said in one of the Federalist papers? "If men were governed by angels, there would be no need for law," or something to that effect. They had a very clear-eyed assessment of human nature. They were a supremely unsentimental bunch.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:59 am

Going to give these a try. Like I said we're sort of limited to the fountain fireworks and novelties. Better than nothing though.

Fountains can be fun though:

(Three pictures from last year's display)

Then of course there's these:

I wonder if I can scarf up a few extras for Halloween. I know Pumpkin_man likes to use them in his displays; and I've been meaning to try them myself. Lit inside a pumpkin I imagine it would make a cool effect.

I still wonder what happened to that guy.

"Crazy humans and their noisy fireworks!!!!!"
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:31 pm

My favorite fireworks video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:50 am

I miss Mike, too. I hope he is set to enjoy the 4th, wherever he is. It was his favorite time of year, and near his birthday.

Nashville is supposed to have the biggest fireworks display in the nation tomorrow night, but we are also perhaps going to have rain. It's been rainy all week and isn't showing any signs of stopping just because it's the 4th. I won't drive in to Nashville in any event. I will watch our local fireworks display, though probably from a distance so I don't get too caught up in traffic.

When I do fireworks at home, I never go in for more than sparklers. I probably won't even bother with those tomorrow.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:36 pm

Can't say I blame you Murf with everything going on in the world today. So much chaos, fighting and hate. What is there really to celebrate?
But I still wish to celebrate the 4th of July anyway. As Mike would often say, it is a tradition. Though I intend to only keep good traditions alive, like having a picnic and lighting and/or watching fireworks. It's these simple things that truly make me feel like an American. Hopefully Mike is having a good time in his retirement, and will eventually return with stories of his adventures.

It's been rainy here too. Guess it's going to be one washed out independence day.

Sparklers are still fun. I remember playing with them as a kid. An older kid of course; I can't remember just how old I was the first time I played with sparklers. 11, maybe 12? I'm not for sure. :lol:
That was such a long time ago. I really can't believe I'm going to be 30 this year.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:23 am

Oh, we will mark the day with low-key celebrations of our own--probably grilling, followed by driving somewhere to see the city fireworks.

Earlier this week I bought a DVD series from the History Channel called Sons of Liberty. I hadn't heard anything about it--it's about the very beginnings of the Revolution, up in Boston. I watched the first episode yesterday and really enjoyed it. I figured I'd watch one a day until I got through it. It's a mini-series, maybe five hours long. I have always loved the Revolutionary period, loved reading about it, etc. I actually prefer it to the Civil War era, although I have spent my life living among settings of the latter.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 am

Happy Birthday America!!!

Here's some music to listen to while y'all take the American history test . How'd ya do?

This message sponsored by the 'Murica Burger