Here's a Little Help Mau

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Here's a Little Help Mau

Post by Kolchak » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:54 pm

A true Southern bar-b-q must start with the proper rub. A rub is the dry seasoning that you spread over the pork before you start cooking. Over the years I've tried a few store bought brands and have come up with a few of my own. I finally have settled on a rub you can buy off the Bass Pro Shops web site. http://www.basspro.com. It's called 'Rub Some Butt' and it is based on the North Carolina regions flavoring of mustard and vinegar. You take this and rub it into your pork or chicken and the put the meat in a big pan or dish, cover the pan/dish with aluminum foil and stick it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. Then you can put it on the grill and then apply the bar-b-q sauce as you see fit.

People mistakenly assume that the sauce is where the meat gets its flavor. It is the rub that is the most important part of a bar-b-q and is where the meat gets the flavor.

Coleslaw and corn on the cob are the two most important side dishes, and while most of my family makes their own coleslaw, I'm just not into putting that much effort into mine. I'm lucky that I live near a great place that sells some of the best coleslaw I've ever had. If you Google sweet coleslaw or bar-b-q coleslaw, you'll find many real good recipes.

As for the corn, you can take sweet corn on the cob and leave it in the husk if you want. Some remove the husk and others leave it on. Wrap it aluminum foil and set it next to the bar-b-q and let it cook. Depending on how hot you have your coals will depend on how long to cook each ear, but generally a half hour is long enough.

You can make potato salad too, but again, I'm too lazy to put that much effort into it myself. Just know that good potato salad has got hard boiled eggs, Blue Plate mayonnaise, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. If you Google Southern style potato salad, you'll find many good recipes on line. If you do decide to make your own potato salad, you really need to make it the night before and keep it in the refrigerator until it is served. It is imperative that potato salad be cold when served.

MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Here's a Little Help Mau

Post by MauEvig » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:42 am

Thanks for the advice Kolchak. I think I might have found the product here: http://www.basspro.com/Rub-Some-Butt-Ca ... /10216555/
It all sounds really good. I might try it sometime. It's fun to experiment with different flavors I've found, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I like a good flavorful meat with just the right blend of spices. I've actually seen some "Bass Pro" products around here, so I might look around locally first. I didn't know that was where meat gets it's flavor from. I always thought it took a good marinade and soaked overnight. I did try cajin once along with some other spice blends and cooked on the George Foreman Grill. Granted, as much as I like my little electric in door grill, I prefer the out door one. But it'll due in a pinch when it's cold out. lol.

I agree that a good coleslaw and corn on the cob are great assets to a barbecue.

I haven't heard of Blue Plate Mayonaise. When I buy it I usually go for Hellmann's, but I heard Duke's was good. I think that might be the local favorite.

Can't wait to get the grill going. I can already taste the barbecue goodness! :D
Nocturnal Purr-Fection