Thunderstorms

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Thunderstorms

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:27 am

Virginia is really a very diverse state, as I'm sure you are discovering. You have mountains in the west and the ocean in the east. So much history all over the place, both Revolutionary War stuff and Civil War stuff. And it's a beautiful state. Enjoy!

One thing I often mention to friends is that everybody needs to explore their state parks. I think those are often under-appreciated gems.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:47 am

You are definitely right, Virginia is rich in history, culture and experiences! It's very beautiful.

Then again, so is New York in many ways, and I never really appreciated it as much until I moved to Virginia. There are many places there I haven't been to either, like the Adirondacks! People who have been to that state mention places I have never heard of! :lol: It's a little embarrassing though. (They might revoke my Northern Citizenship Murf! :lol: )

I agree with you there, we have a great selection of parks in this area, including Douthat, Lake Moomaw and then there's that little area that we went to but I'm not sure what it's called. But it's got a swimming area, camping, boating and picnicing. I'd like to go there again when we get a chance. Plus the parking is really cheap, you can't beat it! :) I actually liked it better than Moomaw.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 am

I would love to visit the Hudson Valley and the more rural areas of New York. I have been to NYC twice, and I enjoyed it, but I think New York state would be a whole different experience.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am

It most definitely would be! There's a lot to see. There's the story of Mary Jemison where a statue stands in her honor at Letchworth Park, which is full of beautiful water falls with twin rainbows; Stony Brooke is another great State park, there's the Corning Glass Museum and so much more. My dad even took me to a festival that involved miniature trains that actually could run, and you could even ride on them. There's the Genesee River as well.

I think I've been by the finger lakes, but never actually to them. We went to the Canadian side of Niagara falls once with some relatives from Florida, and my Grandma was watching me at the time. Some of the country parts it's easy to get lost in if you don't know them very well. Yet there are specific dirt roads up there that I know really well having grown up there. Even in my own home state, my world was pretty small. It's expanded quite a bit since I moved South, but even then I usually stay in Bath County with occasional trips to the neighboring county. Been to West Virginia a couple times. I like being close to the border.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:01 am

I own a series of books I bought from National Geographic in the '90s, about good road trips in all 50 states. Last summer I read through the one for New York. It really made me want to go there!

My older son spent the summer between his freshman & sophomore years in college at Canisius College in Buffalo. He was part of some math group there. So he has seen Niagara Falls and some of the other sights in that area, but I have not.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:09 pm

I would definitely plan a trip there sometime. It's worth it. :) You'll have to let me know how you liked it and if I recognize any places up there. You may even want to take more than one trip, since there's so much to see up there.

There's even the old "Castle on the Hill" which has an interesting history behind it; though it's been abandoned it still serves as a status of wonder and amazement for onlookers as part of the history there. It served as a place for alternative medicine called "Hydrotherapy," a psychiatric hospital, and a Hotel. If it only would have survived; perhaps it may have been New York's version of the Homestead. I'm willing to bet the old building is haunted. A shame it's not safe for anyone to go into now: http://opacity.us/site113_jackson_sanatorium.htm

Nearby when I was really little, before my parents divorced we lived in a little house there. I had nightmares a lot; and I think that place may have been haunted.

That's pretty cool that your son got to check out a few places there.

Hope you get to one day Murf. I think you'll enjoy it. Be sure to check out a few of their haunted places too. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 am

That's an interesting link!

Yes, I hope I get to explore that area, too.