4th of July

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: 4th of July

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:46 am

I, too, try to make the most of every season in its turn.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:26 pm

Yes, every season does have it's own charms, and for me, Summer is all abut barbecue, the 4th of July and my birthday, and I also plan to get to the Warren Dunes in Michigan if I can find a companion (or maybe even if I don't find a companion). I also plan to rent a motorcycle at least once just to 'scratch that itch' I get at this time of the year. I might even make a 'haunted road trip' even though I prefer to do that in the Fall.

Mike

Voskhod02
Zombie

Post by Voskhod02 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am

No 4th of July where I live, but my wife's French and we have the 14th of July, but it's still about red, white and blue, getting rid of crowned heads and fireworks as well, so I figured I can chime in :lol: of course, food plays a good part of the celebration - we hust have bread, cheese and wine instead of the BBQ and burgers - and sometimes, movies about the French Revolution are part of the program. It's fascinating to see how many common points we have, despite the cultures being different!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:08 pm

As much as I love the 4th of July, I would love to visit Paris France during a Bastille Day celebration some day. I doubt I'll ever be able to come up with the money, but I saw video from it a few years back, and it seemed awesome. Of course I've been to light off fireworks at off times of the year, as I often will celebrate "Little Halloween" every time the 13th of the month falls on a Friday.

New Years Eve is also a great time for fireworks, and there are Halloween fireworks you can buy, too.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 am

Voskhod02 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 am No 4th of July where I live, but my wife's French and we have the 14th of July,

Heck, without the French there would be no United States, so tell your wife 'Thank You' for me.

Then again, without the Allied Forces there would be no France so she owes us some of that bread, cheese and wine. ;)

One of my favorite movies, which I watch every 4th of July is 'The Patriot' with Mel Gibson. I love the relationship that develops between the American and the Frenchman even though they have no reason but to distrust each other. If you and your wife have never seen it, I strongly recommend it.

Voskhod02
Zombie

Post by Voskhod02 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:17 am

Pumpkin_Head wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:08 pm As much as I love the 4th of July, I would love to visit Paris France during a Bastille Day celebration some day. I doubt I'll ever be able to come up with the money, but I saw video from it a few years back, and it seemed awesome. Of course I've been to light off fireworks at off times of the year, as I often will celebrate "Little Halloween" every time the 13th of the month falls on a Friday.

New Years Eve is also a great time for fireworks, and there are Halloween fireworks you can buy, too.

Mike

Eh, gathering so much money sure is an issue, but if you can, go ahead, you won't regret it! Plus, you can be on the 4th in the USA and on the 14th in France and compare the fireworks :D and if you want to save money on a trip to Paris, the little trick is to eat at ethnic restaurants instead of strictly French ones (of course, don't miss on French cuisine, but don't go there everyday unless you're not short on $$$): you can eat generous portions of delicious food in Lebanese, Chinese restaurants without shelling out too much. That's what we did with my wife when we were university students and short on money, we'd save money like that and were able to afford trips to Paris and other beautiful European cities.

And if you've got some time, it would be immensely worth it to take day trips by train (don't rent a car: it's not only ridiculously expensive, but driving in Paris is suffering) to nearby cities like Rheims, Orleans or even the little town on Laon, they can be reached in less than 2 hours on a train and have lot of things to offer. For example, Rheims is full of art deco buildings and is the "capital city" of champagne, and Laon, which was for a time the French capital in the Middle Ages, still has a very medieval-looking town center, with narrow streets, Gothic cathedrals and city walls.

NeverMore wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 am
Heck, without the French there would be no United States, so tell your wife 'Thank You' for me.

Then again, without the Allied Forces there would be no France so she owes us some of that bread, cheese and wine. ;)

One of my favorite movies, which I watch every 4th of July is 'The Patriot' with Mel Gibson. I love the relationship that develops between the American and the Frenchman even though they have no reason but to distrust each other. If you and your wife have never seen it, I strongly recommend it.
We'll only send wine, as bread will be closer to hardtack than anything else, and you don't want to be on the receiving end of French cheese after a couple weeks in a parcel :lol: thanks for the recommendation, I haven't seen it but have heard only positive things about it!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:42 pm

I will certainly take that under advisement. As for money, my problem isn't that I don't have any. It's the way I spend it. I just shelled out 400 dollars for a 45 rpm Stevie Ray Vaung box set of albums, and another 20 bucks to another web site for a 12 inch vinyl single of Rhiana's "Shut Up and Drive." Of course, I am also approaching the point of dire need for a new car. Perhaps some day if I could afford to go on a sea cruise, I will take one that docs in Paris.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:47 am

Wishing a blessed Fourth of July to one and all!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:20 pm

Happy 4th to everyone.

My family BBQ'd and are now playing board games while I play DJ and watch fireworks on the big screen.

Oregon is very strict about pyrotechnics in a good year, and this year everything was cancelled.
Attachments
0704201446-01.jpg
0704201446-01.jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 16902 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:06 pm

I just grilled up a burger, and my neighbor had some awesome fireworks. Next year will be better, though, because I won't be tying up all my spare money in a down payment for a car.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am

I'm glad you had some neighborhood fireworks, Mike.

Andy, it sounds like your family enjoyed the day despite restrictions.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:01 pm

We all pretty much did our own thing this year. I didn't have family over because they're still a little freaked out over Covid 19, but I still grilled up a burger and enjoy my neighbor's fireworks. I put my speakers in the garage and cranked out the stereo while he lit them off.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:38 am

That sounds like it was fun, Mike.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:07 pm

Yes, it sounds festive.

Everyone around here was determined to celebrate, even with certain restrictions. Lots of neighborhood fireworks.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:04 pm

It was fun. My neighbor, who's fond of AC/DC had himself a field day when I cranked out "Rock or Bust" as he lit off various ariel display items.

Mike