TIRED OF SUMMER?

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: TIRED OF SUMMER?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm

That sounds great. Just don't get yourself in a situation where you end up needing a Gastric Bypass (narf narf).

Mike

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by sueluvshalloween » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:17 am

I don't enjoy summer here as much as I did when I lived up north. I've always loved summer, but down here in Texas, I don't appreciate it like I used to. When you live somewhere that can have very cold, dreary (and sometimes long!) winters, summer is something to celebrate. You feel a sense of freedom, a change from another season. You get to shed all those heavy coats, boots, gloves, hats and scarves. There's no shoveling the driveway and walkway. You can just step outside in shorts and a t-shirt. Here, we do get chilly weather during late fall through late winter, with lows that can fall down into the upper 20s, but it always warms up to at least around upper 40s or low 50s. Even at its coldest, Texas weather is never brutally cold. I can go running in a sports bra and shorts in December and January here! It's a great feeling to be able to do that, but when summer comes, it can be so darn hot that it's nothing to celebrate. All the kids are either in their pools or staying inside playing video games. It's almost like a ghost town. Now, don't get me wrong -- I love warm weather, but since it's always on the warm side, even in winter, there's nothing to look forward to when summer actually comes.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 am

I agree sueluvshalloween, but here closer to the gulf we get the ocean breezes, but, it's brutally hot here in the dead of summer. 90 degrees with 90% humidity, which I wouldnt mind suffer through if we didnt have these freekin mosquitoes, they are the worse thing about S. Texas!
What purpose do Mosquitoes serve anyway??? I wish they would all get together and fly to Iran!!!!

I hate the mosquitoes!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:08 am

I agree sueluvshalloween, but here closer to the gulf we get the ocean breezes, but, it's brutally hot here in the dead of summer. 90 degrees with 90% humidity, which I wouldnt mind suffer through if we didnt have these freekin mosquitoes, they are the worse thing about S. Texas!
What purpose do Mosquitoes serve anyway??? I wish they would all get together and fly to Iran!!!!

I hate the mosquitoes!
Spooky I second that!! I hate mosquitoes, we have alot here in Missouri too.

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master

Post by sueluvshalloween » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:27 am

Spooky and Witchy, I agree about those nasty mosquitoes! You step outside for a second during the humidity, and not only do you feel dirty even though you might have just showered (all the pollution seems to stick to your skin), but you get eaten alive by mosquitoes. I remember Halloween '06 was extremely humid. The mosquitoes were so unbearable that I couldn't even sit outside to pass out candy. :x

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:38 am

that smell coming from Houston in the summer isnt pollution, it's all the people wearing gallons of OFF bug spray!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:46 am

HA! That reminds me of a TV skit that descried a toxic pool of AXE body spray off of the shores of New Jersey!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 am

Again, the Summer has all kinds of charm, and while Halloween is my favorite holiday, and October is actualy my favotied month, the Summer Season as a whole is my favorite season, because I can do most of my commuting and traveling by motorcycle. The 4th of July is also a very close 2nd to Halloween on my list, so I would not want to pass that day up, either. Though not as solumn a TRADITION as Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter, it does have a patriotic TRADITION that I've enjoyed all of my life, and I would not want to do without my fire crackers and smoke bombs any more then I would want to do without my jack o'lanterns, turkey,or Christmas tree.

Also, my Birthday is in July, and next year, July of 2010, I hit the big FIVE-0, so that's going to be a very special bday for me.

Mike

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master

Post by sueluvshalloween » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:59 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Again, the Summer has all kinds of charm, and while Halloween is my favorite holiday, and October is actualy my favotied month, the Summer Season as a whole is my favorite season, because I can do most of my commuting and traveling by motorcycle. The 4th of July is also a very close 2nd to Halloween on my list, so I would not want to pass that day up, either. Though not as solumn a TRADITION as Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving or Easter, it does have a patriotic TRADITION that I've enjoyed all of my life, and I would not want to do without my fire crackers and smoke bombs any more then I would want to do without my jack o'lanterns, turkey,or Christmas tree.

Also, my Birthday is in July, and next year, July of 2010, I hit the big FIVE-0, so that's going to be a very special bday for me.

Mike
Mike, I should like summer better than I do because of Fourth of July, which is patriotic and fun, and there are two birthdays in my family during the summer -- my son, who, coincidentally, is also named Mike (we call him Mikey), has a July 9 birthday, and my birthday on August 1. As I said earlier, it's just hard to really enjoy summer when the oppressively hot weather factors into it.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 am

Sueloves, I can certainly understand about the opressive heat, and while I may not be as bothered by it as much as I use to since I lost the weight, It's allways easier to warm up when I'm cold, then it is to cool down when I'm a sweary mess. Winter cold is a lot easier to deal with then long, opressive spells of great heat and humidity.

But my love afair with Summer is due to all the TRADITIONS that are associated with it, and I do like to ride my motorcycle, and Summer is the time of the year that I get most of my cycling in. Last Summer was quite a bust, because of the surgery I had, and all the side effects that kept me in and out of the hospital for most of June, July, August and September, but all in all, I did get to the Indiana dunes, and I had a great 4th of July and a pretty nice Birthday, though the eating was not what I wished it could have been. I guess what I 'm saying is that I LOVE TRADITION, and would not want to miss out on those Summer TRADITIONS, any more then I would want to miss out on Halloween, Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every season has their TRADITIONS. The only season that I really don't like is the Post Christmas Winter season, or January and February. For me, those two months are like two months of Mondays.

Mike