TIRED OF SUMMER?

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: TIRED OF SUMMER?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, as I said, I was born on July 24, 1960., raised on 111th and Drake in Chicago Illinois. Moved down here to Dwight in the Spring of 96 and loved every minute of it.

Mike

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Interesting... my grandpa was born in Lexington, NC on May 10, 1924 and he moved here in Norfolk, VA around 1955. Well, he's 84 and alive well.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm

That's great. I barely knew my grand parents. In fact, my paternal grandfather and maternal grand mother both died before I was born. "Papa" boyle use to bring all kinds of candy and treats every Friday evening when he would come over for his weekly visit to my mom & dad's house. Grandma Grace lived down in Florida with my Aunt, and she would come up for a visit once a year around the Summer time. Those visits were very special to me wh en I was a kid. "Papa" Boyle died when I was 8. Grandma Grace died when I was 17, but she suffered a long bout with dementia and senility so I barely knew her when she was cfohearant.

I envy my older siblings who knew all four of our grand parents. Grand parents are wonderful people to have in the family, and I do thank God for the few but precious moments I had with "Papa" Boyle and Grandma Grace. Both my mom and dad have also passed on, God rest them, and I miss them too.

Well, I don't want to go all sentimental on you, but remember and enjoy these moments you have with your grand pa, because when he's gone, and you get older, you will find that those memories you shared with them are a treasure trove in and of themselvsw.

Mike

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm

My grandpa told me several times about his own grandfather which died in 1938. He was very bad man because he loved to go to the bar, had some drinks and picked someone else for fighting and damaging things inside the bar. He was put in jail many times. :? He has no "real" job all of his life, but he only did some odd jobs to pay small bills, beers, whiskeys and foods. Also, he used some of his grandmother's money for buying more and more beers. True, but sad. :(

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Alcoholism is a desease that affects every family to a degree, as is drug abuse. I had grand uncles on both sides of my family who both had major drinking problems. One of them died of alcoholic poisening. I don't know what happened to the other.

I guess when you live in adverse poverty, drinking or drug abuse is a cheap way of taking a 'vacation' from all the squalor you have to live with. Most of the first generation Irish imigrants were poor, worked the lowest paying jobs for the longest hours, and lived in roach infested, rat infested and crime infested "shanties" that became seyonimous with being Irish. "Shanty" Irish they were called. They came here to escape persecution by the British only to find some here. Yet many perservered, and build great lives for themselvs.

I was very lucky, because niether of my parents drank. But for some of our neighbors on Drake street, it's a different story. I've seen entire families destroyed, completely decimated by cocane, heroin, methamphetimine and alcoholism. When crack cocane was introduced back in the 80s, many of them died.

It's a sad legacy that poverty leaves us, but then there are those of us who are lucky to have loving parents who cared more about us then taking that small "vacation" in a bottle.

Mike

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm definitely ready for summer to be over! It is freakin frackin hot here and ready to melt into a pile of candy corn hotness.
The Night HE Came Home

adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:29 pm

I love summer but i am ready for it to cool on down.. just like all seasons, towards the end of one i get bored of the weather and am impatient about what ever i have planned for the next. fall- halloween winter- christmas spring- warmer weather summer- PANAMA CITY BEACH
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 pm

I love Halloween and the Fall Season, but I do hate to see Summer come to an end, because I know that I will have to face the long, cold Winter doldrums of January and February before it returns. I also remember as a kid, I hated to see Summer go, because I hated going back to school.

I'm still enjoying riding my motorcycle, and I went to the local pool last Saturday (it's an indoor pool an opened year round, but I only go to it in the Summer time) and I had a great time. Technicaly, Summer isn't over until the Fall Equinox, which is on (I think) September 21st. Labor Day is pretty much the "last hurrah" for Summer activities (i.e. swimming, barbecue, out door picnicks, etc).

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:34 pm

yea its sad to see it go but i find myself grilling more in the fall :) the weather isn't so hot and humid and being outside just feels so much better to me :)

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

We're still having weird weather here on the No CA coast. It was 48 when I got up this morning.

Brrrrr...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Alan Wake
Haunt Master

Post by Alan Wake » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Last night and this morning, it was about 55 degrees with a nice crisp smell to the air.

Seems like Halloween alright. :D

"But nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear." - Stephen King

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Actualy I grill all year round, even in the Winter time. Actualy I use to. I don't know when I'll be able to eat solid food again. But during the really bad Winter days, I wouls grill in the living room fire place. I've grilled Rid Eye steaks, fish, and hamburgers. And they come out great.

It's been a very cool Summer in my neck of the woods, too. We didn't get above 86 degrees all Summer long.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Actualy I grill all year round, even in the Winter time. Actualy I use to. I don't know when I'll be able to eat solid food again. But during the really bad Winter days, I wouls grill in the living room fire place. I've grilled Rid Eye steaks, fish, and hamburgers. And they come out great.

It's been a very cool Summer in my neck of the woods, too. We didn't get above 86 degrees all Summer long.

Mike

in the fire place? haha i'll have to try that out :) i have a gate we use for the fire pit i'll just bring it on inside :)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:12 pm

If you have a regular fireplace (not a gas fireplace) it's really good. You can also use wood instead of charcole to do your grilling. You have to let it burn down so all you have is red hot coles. Then put the grate on the log holder inside the fire box and grill away.

Another thing I've done, and this can be done either with guests or alone, is have a weenie roast in the living room. I spread out news papers so I don't get greas on the floor, then you get a long stick, and a meat fork. You duct tape the meat fork to the stick, inpale your favorite brand hot dog on the fork, (My favorite is Oscar Meyer and Best Kosher) and with 3 logs blazing away, you roast your hot dog for about a minute ot two, or until it's done the way you like it, wrap it in a piece of good bread, or a hot dog bun and add your favorite condiments. I like mustard, onions and horse raddish. And I usualy go with rhy bread instead of a regular hot dog bun.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

i have a HUGE fire place that isn't gas :) i'm so excited i may try the weenie roast this week (with ball park) mustard, jalapeno, and pickles :)