Yard Sales....getting rid of all that extra junk

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Yard Sales....getting rid of all that extra junk

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:39 pm

At spring time people like to do their "spring cleaning" and then in the late spring and summer time, people will often get rid of their junk by having a yard sale.
Now, I did make a topic about buying Halloween decorations in yard sales and thrift stores, but this is about having your own yard sale. Since yard sales are usually held in the summer, I thought this would be a good spot for a yard sales topic.
I plan to have a yard sale. When my dad gets done working on my car I plan to go through the stuff that is in the garage stored away, and I'm planning to get rid of some excess junk that's in my room as well. I think I'd be a much neater person if I wasn't so cluttered! With my new lap top I plan to get rid of some computer equipment that takes up space in my room.
So how many of you plan on having a yard sale or several yard sales this year? I plan to have some yard sales. My college campus is going to have a campus wide yard sale for the students. But I also plan to have a combined yard sale with my grandma this summer at the house.
Any tips for having yard sales? I suppose I would advirtise around town, put it in the paper if you can afford it.
During the summer fest they usually have a town wide yard sale but....I'm hoping I'll do good with yard sales prior to that time because I want to enjoy the day. :lol:
I also read to have your stuff look clean when you present it for sale, and catagorize it and make it look neat. You want to attract customers. Also, keep the smaller stuff closer to you, because you never know, theives might try to steal things, or switch the signs to get a better price.
Often what happens is larger stuff is shown up front to attract people passing by in the cars.
I once sold a water jug that I had in a dorm room when I was previously in college...and I wish I wouldn't have let it go so cheap. I think someone else had asked about it, and it made me mad because the person who bought it said it could just sit in my yard. The next person could've given me a better price for it!
Oh well. There was one thing wrong with it...it only heated water it didn't cool it down.
Anyway, yard sales can be fun if you plan it right, and if you get a lot of customers. On the other hand, you can be sitting all day long and not get a single customer. Usually I try to sell things in yard sales and make a quick buck before going ahead and donating them to the salvation army or any other church organization.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master

Re: Yard Sales....getting rid of all that extra junk

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 pm

I will be having a yard sale this weekend even though it will be 106 degrees, UGH!
The Night HE Came Home

adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:32 pm

well for starters, yes, getting an ad in the news paper is ALWAYS a HUGE plus.. people really do check that stuff out.. as for experience, power tools, lawn tools, fishing and hunting gear, and electronics ALWAYS SALE best for their price. women mostly do yard saling but they tend to buy quanity and very cheaply. men however go to look for tools they don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for.. so instead of hauling 20 bags of clothes your only going to make $20 on, one table full of drills, saws, hammers, and a lawn mower could easily nmake you a couple hundred bucks depending on how much you can get your hands on
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:42 pm

I did actually sell a lawn mower for five bucks.
I sold quite a bit of my stuff, but a lot of it ended up going to the salvation army.
I'll probably have more yard sales next year. But this year I thought I did pretty well.
Unfortunately yard sales can be borring. I hate sitting there waiting for a customer to show up. But this year I thought I was quite successful and got rid of a lot of stuff. The last day of the sale I marked everything down. I had one customer that day, but she and her kids got a bunch of stuff.
Of course, there's one thing you won't find in my Yard sales: Halloween stuff! Because I plan on keeping all of mine. Haha.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am

i bought some wood pallets at a yard sale the other weekend. i painted a huge jack o lantern face on one and the otheres are serving as fire wood this week end :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Since we're moving into the bigger house next store, I think it would be a good idea to have a yard sale. Probably have to ask for a weekend off to accomplish that. I already have some clothes set aside that I want to get rid of.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Spider-Ridley
Zombie

Post by Spider-Ridley » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:59 pm

My wife and I usually get rid of our extra stuff on local online swap shop groups. When we do have yard sales, we get together with some of our family and we all sell our stuff together in one place.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:59 pm

I'm not brave enough to do a yard sale. I generally donate/recycle stuff.